speed freak
Re: PC vs MAC......... who knows?
Date: May 19, 2007 01:59AM
Posted by: Covfan
I think they're both rubbish.
Date: May 19, 2007 02:25AM
Posted by: keiran
It's pointless to argue over them as they both can do the same tasks. At home I use a PC for all my graphic work but at college I use Macs.

I use the Mac at college over a PC because it's so much nicer to work with once you get past the no right click (although some of them at college have two mouse buttons). Then if you do no graphic work there probably isn't much difference between the two, just preference really. One thing I have to say about a Mac is I've never had it at a crawling pace even with lots of heavy files open in photoshop but then I've never used a high end PC.

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: May 19, 2007 03:43AM
Posted by: danm
I HATE Macs with a passion.

But I do admit I have barely tried to get to grips with them, the times I have tried the biggest thing that annoys me is the way when a window opens for a programme such as photoshop, the pallettes and windows scatter like pieces of loose paper, there isnt a solid 'whole' window loaded like on a pc, even when you maximise.

The buttons are also annoying, but only as I am use to a PC.

I have used photoshop also on iMacs and some other crappy Mac thing and it was slow as hell.

They should all be banned for eternity.

In my view and experience.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 19, 2007 06:59AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I've had slowdowns with Mac and even 2 crashes! I prefer PCs by far, no contest. Even graphical work. "With a Mac you get it all, Photoshop, Corel..." well, with a PC I get stuff that works with everything and I can also buy the softwares I want instead of buying an overpriced and hard to upgrade machine that costs my left arm.
Date: May 19, 2007 09:26AM
Posted by: gav
Those who use Macs swear by them, and they're not normally using solely Macs, or have Windows on the same system, so it's not bias talking.

Having never used one I could never give an accurate yes/no/I like it because.... but from what I have seen, I do wonder what you get for the stupidly expensive systems.

I mean, you can get an excellent little (if not easily upgradable) Dell here for £320 including a 19" monitor. A similarly specced Mac Mini costs £770, with a smaller hard drive and without a monitor. this iMac costs £850, and while you get a smaller monitor (which should be the same resolution anyway), you do get a slightly faster Core2Duo and a better graphics solution. Still... you could have bought 2 and a half of those Dell systems (including the OS) for it.

No doubt they have their uses, and I suppose to those buy their systems as a fashion accessory there's little out their to rival them, but you have to wonder just where that money is going.

//edit: to correct an url.

//edit2: to correct the spelling in the line above :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2007 09:28AM by gav.
Date: May 19, 2007 12:37PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I used to be quite anti mac, but I bought a mac mini last autumn, and its changed my mind towards them.

The reason I got it was purely practicality - I wanted a quiet, small computer which I could watch movies on etc. At the time there was quite simply no pc solution to match the mac mini option - it was 399 for a 1.66 core duo, 512 ram etc, and is completely silent and tiny.

I couldn't find a pc option that matched it, and so I got it. It is faster and cheaper than any other option at the time, and I've been blown away by it. OSX is mostly very good, occaisionally (NETWORKING) is very confusing, but I get there!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: May 19, 2007 06:39PM
Posted by: senninho
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I HATE Macs with a passion.
>
> But I do admit I have barely tried to get to grips
> with them, the times I have tried the biggest
> thing that annoys me is the way when a window
> opens for a programme such as photoshop, the
> pallettes and windows scatter like pieces of loose
> paper, there isnt a solid 'whole' window loaded
> like on a pc, even when you maximise.
>
> The buttons are also annoying, but only as I am
> use to a PC.
>
> I have used photoshop also on iMacs and some other
> crappy Mac thing and it was slow as hell.
>
> They should all be banned for eternity.
>
> In my view and experience.

How can you hate them when you freely admit to barely having used them? ;)

I use a PC at work, and an iMac and Powerbook at home. For non-gaming use, i prefer Mac OS. I don't want to get into an argument over which is better, i just personally find OS X less hassle than Windows, on many levels.

Date: May 19, 2007 07:43PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I was massivly unimpressed with the Mac I used. With the browser being unable to display alot of sites, Photoshop being slow (something which Mac Fanatics used to brag about being good!) and of course no gaming.

Given the massive prices which gav displayed, for me there is no advantage to use, nevermind buy a mac, especailly since Vista just made windows so much easier to work in.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 02, 2007 02:19PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I've got both at home, I wasn't that dissimilar from Dan and Chris's opinions, used to hate them with passion till I realised one day, I have never actually tried a Mac since at school on the really poor Mac Classics, got and iBook and found that they were actually really good! :) (I got my iBook at the time for £400 odd) Now I have a Macbook Pro :)

They are really easy to pick up, I mastered it in a few days of using it. People have probably heard this to death but the Mac does just work unlike the PC. Shortcuts for instance update instantly when you re-organise files on your hard drive, it isn't locked to file locations, even when playing music in iTunes you can still move that MP3 file around the harddrive whilst its still playing without any problems! iLife is a breeze to get used to and is really quite powerful! Especially iMovie!

Gav is half true, even though he has really overexaggerated ;) a Mac Mini Intel's and PowerPC's has never cost £770 even when first released and brand new. The most expensive is about £529, and it ain't really work the extra compared to the £399 version. Problem with Apple is they don't lower their prices, for instance the price of all the Mac's since the intergration of Intel have hardly changed since it was first released, neither have they been upgraded. At first the prices of them were very good, around the same as the PC's offered by Dell but Dell's prices have lowered and Apple's just haven't lowered theirs or released anything new. I don't understand that buisness sense myself, but usually you can get a pretty good deal through refurbished. It dosn't help by the fact that Mac's arn't very upgradable, its like the PS3 vs Xbox 360, theres so many options avalible for the PC and just not as many for the Mac, the only upgrades I can do on this laptop is RAM and Hard Drive, and tbh I don't think its much different with the rest of the Mac's Retail range except the Mac Pro, but that things really stupidly expensive!

I agree with Chris the Networking isn't that good, Windows has Network Neighbourhood with is easy to get into, Mac has to use "Connect to Server" which is similar to Window's Map Network Drive, its the only way to access shared folders which is annoying to say the least, but it does work! Which tbh is more than I can say about Vista's interaction but thats another story :)

I agree with Gui and Dave about Photoshop, I dunno if its because I'm on a laptop (Apple underclock the GFX cards in the laptops) but Photoshop CS2 seemed really slow, CS3 was better as its made for Dual Core and Intel Mac's but its still slower than my PC. However I can't agree about the crashing, one thing I can say is I've had 2 Mac's, the only time one crashed (The iBook) was when I installed a dodgy version of AdiumX (MSN Client) which caused Adium to crash, other than that it's been fine.

I've had no problem with Websites on Safari, and I know as I usually browse the internet on my Macbook alot. Even if there is a problem I believe that Opera and Firefox are avalible for OS X anyway, just never seen the use in it as Safari is doing the job perfectly for me :)

Really with OS X its the little things all added up which makes it better than XP, which ain't surprising seen as it was about 4 years newer than it... However with the release of Vista I've found myself using the Mac alot less. Vista really is a step in the right direction with the interface on it, feels alot more user friendly and is set out quite similar to the Mac, which I find alot nicer, but the Spotlight on Vista could still use some work, not quite up there with Mac's Spotlight :)

At the end of the day, its all about personal choice, if you have a go on a Mac and find you like it, then use it and don't give a s**t about anyone elses opinions! Same deal with the PC's :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2007 02:22PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: June 02, 2007 02:37PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
gav Wrote:

> //edit: to correct an url.
>
> //edit2: to correct the spelling in the line above
> :D

you need a third edit, url shouldn't have 'an' before it, but rather 'a' - it's a matter of pronunciation as opposed to whether it's a vowel or not.

:D peace out mofos
Date: June 02, 2007 03:11PM
Posted by: gav
:D Yeah, it looks a bit poor. I'll assume I was hungover. :D

Ianwoollam Wrote:
> Gav is half true, even though he has really
> overexaggerated ;) a Mac Mini Intel's and
> PowerPC's has never cost £770 even when first
> released and brand new. The most expensive is
> about £529, and it ain't really work the extra
> compared to the £399 version. Problem with Apple
> is they don't lower their prices, for instance the
> price of all the Mac's since the intergration of
> Intel have hardly changed since it was first
> released, neither have they been upgraded. At
> first the prices of them were very good, around
> the same as the PC's offered by Dell but Dell's
> prices have lowered and Apple's just haven't
> lowered theirs or released anything new. I don't
> understand that buisness sense myself, but usually
> you can get a pretty good deal through
> refurbished. It dosn't help by the fact that Mac's
> arn't very upgradable, its like the PS3 vs Xbox
> 360, theres so many options avalible for the PC
> and just not as many for the Mac, the only
> upgrades I can do on this laptop is RAM and Hard
> Drive, and tbh I don't think its much different
> with the rest of the Mac's Retail range except the
> Mac Pro, but that things really stupidly
> expensive!

I just compared the prices online. All specs as close as I could get them, and at the time, all prices were correct, exclusive of delivery (which was free on the Dell, though I don't know about the Mac. The Mac I specced isn't up on their site any more.

Ianwoollam Wrote:
> I agree with Chris the Networking isn't that good,
> Windows has Network Neighbourhood with is easy to
> get into, Mac has to use "Connect to Server" which
> is similar to Window's Map Network Drive, its the
> only way to access shared folders which is
> annoying to say the least, but it does work! Which
> tbh is more than I can say about Vista's
> interaction but thats another story :)

I can't comment on the Mac's networking abilities, but I agree that Vista's main problem is probably networking. There's a known bug which can take network transfers down to a crawl, and getting XP and Vista machines to share files can be like trying to swim through hardened toffee. Sometimes it'll just work, sometimes you have to completely reset all permissions, and sometimes it just plain refuses to work.

On a side note which is bordering on off-topic, if anyone wants a Vista-style file management system (ie, the much-improved Explorer) on XP, check out [www.gpsoft.com.au]Directory Opus]. It really is rather awesome and saves you a lot of time once you've got it set up. The only draw-backs are that it's not free, and it's Australian.
Date: June 02, 2007 04:01PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I can't comment on the Mac's networking abilities, but I agree that Vista's main problem is probably networking. There's a known bug which can take network transfers down to a crawl, and getting XP and Vista machines to share files can be like trying to swim through hardened toffee. Sometimes it'll just work, sometimes you have to completely reset all permissions, and sometimes it just plain refuses to work.

Before I recived my router I just plugged my XP machine into my Vista machine and it done it all for me in a matter of seconds. Maybe I was just lucky but I've had no problems doing Vista networking, infact it was a hell of alot easier than I expected it to be.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 02, 2007 04:42PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
I can't comment on whether Macs are better than PCs or what. What I can say though is that I hate Mac users and the pious attitude they adopt. 'Ohh, I'm a Mac user, therefore I'm better'...

Date: June 02, 2007 05:42PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
So i got bored the other day and dual booted windows xp and mac osx...
i wont go into how but it is possible and i get the best of both worlds now
both running natively and very nicely =)
Windows i use for gaming and word processing and osx i used for graphic editing just because it appears to run a lot quicker then windows....

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: June 02, 2007 08:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
You know the drill, Matt. Have your dad post the CD to me here in the US, I'll give you my updated address ;)
Date: June 03, 2007 01:40AM
Posted by: senninho
Red_Bull Wrote:
> I can't comment on whether Macs are better than
> PCs or what. What I can say though is that I hate
> Mac users and the pious attitude they adopt. 'Ohh,
> I'm a Mac user, therefore I'm better'...

Way to tar everyone with the same brush - i'm a Mac user, but can't say i fall into the 'pious' category :P

@Gav - networking on a Mac takes a bit of getting used to if you're used to Windows, but it's fine in its own way. The only annoying thing - and it really does annoy me - is that you don't seem to be able to set more than one IP address on a single network adapter :(

Can't say i've noticed anything bad about networks in Vista, based on the test bench rig we have at work, but it does seem to have a silly bug where it fails to renew the IP address on a wireless connection when waking from sleep. I dare say it'll be fixed soon, so meh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2007 01:42AM by senninho.
Date: June 03, 2007 01:52AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I don't have any major problems like having to reset permissions, however transfer speeds are indeed alot slower than XP for some reason. On my Mac it'll sometimes now stick at Zero KB when trying to copy a file from Vista, no idea why and it never did it with XP, suppose its new and Microsoft will eventually iorn out the bugs :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: June 03, 2007 09:44AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
senninho Wrote:
> Red_Bull Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't comment on whether Macs are better than
> > PCs or what. What I can say though is that I
> hate
> > Mac users and the pious attitude they adopt.
> 'Ohh,
> > I'm a Mac user, therefore I'm better'...
>
> Way to tar everyone with the same brush - i'm a
> Mac user, but can't say i fall into the 'pious'
> category :P

Well I don't know you well enough really. Shall I say most Mac users then? :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy