internet advice req.

Posted by LS. 
internet advice req.
Date: June 02, 2007 05:38PM
Posted by: LS.
Set up a wireless router for a friend and his son has a dell laptop with vista installed and its all connected fine and able to surf the net etc, but theres a problem connecting to certain websites on the laptop and the desktop pc.

Neither will load up windows live messenger home page, yet now i've arrived back at home and i have tried on my pc its loaded up fine.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: internet advice req.
Date: June 02, 2007 05:46PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Firewall? Check ports, and allowable people to connect. Otherwise, it may just be a FF or IE problem.

Or it was a case of the site being down. ;-)

You said certain websites, so which others were playing silly buggers?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 02, 2007 06:04PM
myspace page would load but wouldnt allow login, and msn messenger live and microsofts homepage. i tried a few other sites like bbc itv and ebay they all loaded up as normal

LS's Tip of the week
Date: June 02, 2007 07:35PM
Roughly how far away was the laptop, and is the router the only thing connected to the internet? Cause if the desktop's going through the router via wireless, like the laptop, then it may be a router problem.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: June 02, 2007 11:30PM
We had the laptop in the same room as the wireless router, and the desktop pc is connected via a cable, so theres only the laptop connected wirelessly

LS's Tip of the week
Date: June 03, 2007 01:10AM
It could be something in the router's firewall settings that's preventing access to certain websites. Either that, or they really were just down at the time.

Date: June 04, 2007 03:43PM
Posted by: Willb
Maybe they are cached, and you dont actually have access to any websites. (Ill look like a right fool if LS posts a reply now lol!)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: June 04, 2007 05:10PM
Its definately connected to the internet as i performed a broadband speedtest on the laptop

LS's Tip of the week
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy