Apple wireless keyboard not working

Posted by MarcLister 
Apple wireless keyboard not working
Date: May 07, 2007 05:50PM
Posted by: MarcLister
If anyone ventures in here for a glance, first of all thanks and hello.

Right on with the story. I have a lovely white wireless Apple keyboard that I use with a bluetooth dongle. Now sometime last night the keyboard went beserk and the letter "i" was being typed, even though I wasn't pressing it. If I shut one tab in Firefox, the cursor would find another place to go to and the letter i would appear again. So I shut down my PC.

When I turned the PC back on again, the bluetooth software didn't detect the keyboard so I turned off and on again. Still nothing. The bluetooth dongle cannot find the keyboard but it can find and connect to my phone and some other bluetooth devices in the building (student flats).

The bluetooth software uses different "services" to connect to my phone and to use the keyboard. Now the software can successfully start the services it needs for the phone but fails to find the keyboard. So I thought, perhaps batteries? Had this for 3-4 months shy of a year without changing batteries, so I put some new ones in but still nothing.

So now I'm thinking that the dongle works as it can connect to the phone. The batteries have been changed and the bluetooth software works OK. This to me implies that the keyboard is forked, especially when I consider the "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" incident.

So, does anyone have any tips for what to do or am I reduced to contacting Apple and asking for a replacement or whatever?
Re: Apple wireless keyboard not working
Date: May 07, 2007 07:50PM
Posted by: danm
iDont Know. Sorry, irresistable :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 07, 2007 07:59PM
Haha. I get the joke but it would have been better if I'd been on about an iPod no?

iThankYou. ;)
Date: May 07, 2007 08:18PM
Posted by: Sapo
I can't resist either, when i saw the topic, my first thought was:

"then just buy a wire" ;)

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: May 07, 2007 08:22PM
Oh for gods sake. Is this some kind of "You buy Apple gear, we take the mickey" kind of agenda?

iLolz.
Date: May 07, 2007 08:41PM

have you tried downloading the firmware/software again from apple?

i had a creative zen that stopped working like that all of a sudden, but a quick reinstallation of the drivers and firmware solved it. no idea why it stopped, but that fixed it.

iAm sure that should fix it.

Date: May 07, 2007 08:48PM
iHave already looked on Apple.com/uk for support but unfortunately iFound out that Apple only officially support their hardware with their own OS'. In Windows iJust connect the kb to the PC using the dongle. But know iReckon the kb is forked since the dongle can't detect the kb anymore. iWish iKnew if it were broken or not. Only had it 8-9 months iThink.
Date: May 07, 2007 08:59PM
does it detect on POST startup screen?

edit just looked on some sites, have you googles for windows firmware updates for the dongle? they do exist it seems! worth a shot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 09:02PM by danm.
Date: May 07, 2007 09:00PM
iDon't think so. The keyboard is wireless and uses bluetooth to connect to my PC so odds are the Bluetooth drivers aren't running at POST but come in later when Windows is loading up.
Date: May 07, 2007 09:05PM
[www.oreillynet.com]

''...the Bluetooth connection would quit from time to time...the cursor would get "stuck" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, and although I would restart several times, nothing seemed to move it, until "it" suddenly decided it was time to start again. Has anyone had this problem?''

''The first thing to do would be to ensure that you are using the latest version of your Bluetooth software and firmware — both are equally important. Should you not use the internal module, ensure that you are using the approved D-Link one and not another brand, which may work but which will lack some specific functionalities that have been designed to avoid the behavior you describe.

Finally, pay attention to potential sources of interference around you such as other bluetooth devices, AirPort base stations (or just about any wireless router), cell and cordless phones or metal paneling. Your keyboard and mouse have all been designed to work in challenging environments but it can happen that, for some reason that remains to be discovered, there are extremely heavy interferences around your Mac.

You might also want to test your keyboard and mouse in another location on another computer — if necessary, ask an Apple Store to lend you an iMac for a couple minutes — in order to ensure that your devices are not damaged in any way''

Date: May 07, 2007 09:09PM
Oooh the software on there is quite new. Older than the bloody dongle though.
Date: May 07, 2007 09:35PM
Right iHave downloaded the latest free drivers/application but there is a newer version that iHave to pay for to access. iThink the keyboard could be borked as iStill cannot detect the keyboard at all. iDoubt newer drivers are going to solve that. iWill try again tomorrow morning when iTurn on my PC again and see if a reset has done the trick.

Not looking good for me though. :(

The application cannot start/find the services needed to connect the keyboard up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 09:39PM by MarcLister.
Date: May 07, 2007 09:57PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
just pop into an appple store surely. Unless you didn't buy it from apple that is. They're great in the shops, very helpful :) In fact taking it to them just to see if it works ok is a good idea, you can always say you bought it there, but didn't bring the receipt and i'm sure they'll let you.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: May 07, 2007 10:00PM
-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just pop into an appple store surely. Unless you
> didn't buy it from apple that is. They're great in
> the shops, very helpful :) In fact taking it to
> them just to see if it works ok is a good idea,
> you can always say you bought it there, but didn't
> bring the receipt and i'm sure they'll let you.

Hehe. I can just see myself going into Manchester carrying a white PC keyboard. The looks I'll get. Yeah I could ring them up and see if they'll let me in for a test.
Date: May 07, 2007 11:55PM
Posted by: senninho
iSee that you looked at www.apple.com/uk, but did you find the Apple Discussion Forum? Not sure what piece of Apple hardware you're using the keyboard with (assuming that you actually are, of course), but more or less all of the hardware forums are lurked upon by Apple staff and general know-it-alls ;-)

Date: May 08, 2007 12:01AM
iDid say that iWas using Windows. I've made a bit of a breakthrough, the batteries that I thought were charged may not have been. Don't know why. iWas given them for something else. iLuckily have a battery charger that iAm using to charge the batteries. iAlso cracked the problem of the service not starting. For some reason the Bluetooth HID service wasn't running so iHave restarted it and it seems better. However that was when iDiscovered the batteries were flat. However iWas able to get the computer to actually detect the keyboard for itself which is good.

So iWill wait until tomorrow when the batteries are charged, the HID service is running and see if iCan get the whole shebang to come together and work.
Date: May 08, 2007 04:01AM
LMFAO! iThink we could start a ridiculous new trend on the iNternet, though iAm quite sure it has already been done and mocked to an even fuller extent elsewhere.

Regardless, iCan see it catching on much like orly and omgzzz.

Date: May 08, 2007 07:35AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
I cannot

Date: May 08, 2007 08:15AM
iReally think your overlooking the potential... imagine... THE NEW GUIPod!

Date: May 08, 2007 11:23AM
iHave fixed the keyboard now. The batteries are charged and the Bluetooth HID service is running successfully. iThank you all for your help and humour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy