Linksys WRT54GS

Posted by mika19b 
Linksys WRT54GS
Date: May 07, 2007 04:32PM
Posted by: mika19b
Hi all,
I have just purchased this router with speedboost and the speedboost card to go with it (WMP54GS). It says on the box with speedboost enable i will get 125mbps signal, so does this mean i will recieve it this quick or will i recieve it at the usual 54mbps? I am using XP. I hope you understand what i am trying to say ;)

Cheers Mika19b
Re: Linksys WRT54GS
Date: May 07, 2007 04:42PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Doubt you'll get anything like 125Mbps. Thats a "perfect" scenario kind of situation. It should be a bit quicker than a 54Mbps but it all depends on where all your stuff is, how far apart they are, thickness of walls and so on.
Date: May 07, 2007 04:47PM
For a test i put my router next to my computer, but still only got 54mbps???
Date: May 07, 2007 04:48PM
Are both the card AND the router Speedboost compatible? There might be a setting somewhere to enable the Speedboost.
Date: May 07, 2007 04:52PM
Check out [www-uk.linksys.com] for the router and [www-uk.linksys.com] for the card.

Look at the manuals and stuff for setup information. Make sure you've got the settings right.
Date: May 07, 2007 05:08PM
Yes both are compatible, i have enabled speedboost on my card and read through all the instructions and cannot find anything!
Date: May 07, 2007 05:17PM
Hmm not so sure about this. I had a Linksys router once and I hated it. Couldn't set it up. Ended up getting a Netgear which was so much easier to setup.

So your wireless connection says its running at 54Mbps?
Date: May 07, 2007 05:20PM
Yes it says it is running at 54mbps, but on both boxes says it should run up to 125mbps signal rate, might be a bit lower because of surroundings etc.
Date: May 07, 2007 05:26PM
The pages I linked to imply that the hardware will run at a max of 54Mbps and that the SpeedBoost increases the "performance", which sounds like its trying to say it does something it doesn't actually.

The "54G" in the names tells you the max speed and the Speedboost is just a marketing gimmick. You'll need some 802.11n equipment to get faster speeds I think.
Date: May 07, 2007 05:30PM
Ok, well i needed to upgrade anyway as this has the new WPA/WPA2 security! Thanks for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy