What are you currently READING?

Posted by Peat 
Re: What are you currently READING?
Date: December 28, 2006 07:16AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
I am reading the "dark tower" series by stephen king.

Its about Roland Deschain, the Last remaining gunslinger in a world that has "moved on" and how he must find the dark tower and fix whatever is broken in the tower to cause his world and others to have broken apart.

its utterly amazing series, i have read it a few times now, as a whole (7 books) only once... last book was published in 2004 i think and the first was published in as a whole in 1982. but i have read the first 4 books alot. i dont know why i can keep re-reading them, its not often i can re-read a book, let alone a series of 7 books!!

currently im on the 2nd volume, "the drawing of the three" which i started last night :)

Date: December 28, 2006 10:02AM
Posted by: Nickv
Senna schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.racerchicks.com].
> jpg
>
> "Thanks Ayrton"
> [www.myonlineimages.com]
> mages/Ebay%20Nov05%20019.jpg

What a surprise... ;)
Date: December 28, 2006 02:26PM
Posted by: Muks_C
haven't read the whole thread, but i was going to reply "this thread" when i saw the subject :)

i haven't read a story book for many many years, i only read racing magazines (had a subscription to F1 Racing for the past 5 years) and racing books (i like the Steve Matcheet ones, haven't got Brundle's "Working the Wheel" yet though).

thinking of getting the Jeremy Clarkson books, i think they're called "The World According to Clarkson" or something like that, and there's a sequel too.

i saw something that looked good in a bookshop, called "The Big Bang" or something, which was a satirical look at some world issues or something.

i used to read all the Roald Dahl books when i was a kid though.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2006 02:34PM by Muks_C.
Date: December 28, 2006 02:35PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Abusive Australian humour about the England cricket team in the form of private messages from a certain Aussie on this forum. He knows who he is and why 2009 will be the worst year of his life. ;-)
Date: December 28, 2006 03:02PM
Posted by: danm
Muks_C Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> thinking of getting the Jeremy Clarkson books, i
> think they're called "The World According to
> Clarkson" or something like that, and there's a
> sequel too.

Yes! Muks I have read the first volume 1 of 'The World....' and it is hillarious! Definitely recommend it to you! Have you read anything by Clarkson before? I got my dad volume 2 for christmas and also 'Schumacher: The Whole Truth' and although not a Schummi fan he said so far it is a cracking read into the Schumacher we never saw... (things like Monza when the marshall died - he made an enquiry into his family and before contacting the widowed wife, arranged for her to be 'financially secure' for the rest of her life and her children'. The press didn't get hold of that!

So yes, both books are a good read! Will give a review on volume two after my dad lends me it lol!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: December 28, 2006 03:06PM
MarcLister Wrote:
> Abusive Australian humour about the England
> cricket team in the form of private messages from
> a certain Aussie on this forum. He knows who he is
> and why 2009 will be the worst year of his life.
> ;-)

mate like i said in PM

the english cricket team has more crumbling action in it than an apple crumble.

Date: December 28, 2006 03:10PM
NeilPearson Wrote:
>
> mate like i said in PM
>
> the english cricket team has more crumbling
> action in it than an apple crumble.

:-o I don't like Apple crumble!!
Date: December 28, 2006 03:31PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Its a shame the only englishman who can handle the pressure is a south african :( ;)

Everyone should read books, they're great. Its not like you've got to read anything desperately "important" like Graham Greene or something, but on the other hand perhaps a level above Clarkson's books is a good start, since those books are simply his newspaper and magazine articles in one volume - the way I see it is he got paid plenty the first time he wrote them for the original publications, so why give him another 5 million?

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 28, 2006 04:47PM
Posted by: Muks_C
well i've never read the articles as i don't read newspapers, but if you have then there's no point reading them again.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 28, 2006 05:16PM
Posted by: MarcA
Harry Potter Three (again, must be the fifth odd time)

Date: December 28, 2006 05:43PM
Posted by: Vader
James Joyce - The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Stanilaw Lem - Essays.

For work I just finished it's Ray Bradbury's utopian novel Fahrenheit 452 and Sam Shepard's play True West (again).

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 28, 2006 07:21PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
reading internet, hate books, get a headache of reading:P

Date: December 28, 2006 07:59PM
Posted by: gary42
Neil, what do you thing of the ending - it;s f**king awesome IMHO, yet a lot of people find it disappointing. And you should also read a few of his other books which fit in with the stories - Salem's Lot is good for catching up with Callahan's early life and The Stand gives a good insight into Randall Flagg/Walter o'Dim.

At the moment I'm currently reading The Great Hunt - the second book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - and, in reply to Turkey's other meaning - BSc Archaeology at Durham University.

Date: December 29, 2006 12:56AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
IM CURRENTLY READING THIS THREAD L0L111!!

I'm actually reading 'the palace' by Paul Erdman, it's some old school 1970's book i swiped from my dad's bookshelf, massively entertaining, so i'm quite impressed :)
Date: December 29, 2006 01:10AM
Posted by: Morbid
Randall Flagg rules!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 29, 2006 01:12AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
i'm currently reading "F1 Racing Magazine September 2000"! ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: December 29, 2006 02:48AM
Posted by: Zcott
Wow, you guys all need to do more reading. Books are the foundation of all knowledge, and knowledge is the foundation of leet stuff.

Vader: I just read Fahrenheit 452 earlier this year and it's quite odd.

Qwerty: Paul Theroux's books do have this overly verbose and sometimes rather tedious narrative but as I'm a sucker for travel writing, I've read quite a few of his books. And as far as travel books good, On The Road remains the ultimate!

Date: December 29, 2006 01:49PM
Posted by: Morbid
Zcott Wrote:
> Wow, you guys all need to do more reading. Books
> are the foundation of all knowledge, and knowledge
> is the foundation of leet stuff.

Man that is not only quoteable, it is worthy of sig-text!

On that note, lemme add two books that I am reading these days:

A Course in Miracles, published by the Foundation for Inner Peace. Yeah, I am not gonna describe what it is, because you will know when the time is right.

Also I am reading Meister Eckhart, the essential sermons, commentaries, treatises and defense. He was a 13th-14th century german priest, who's teachings fell afoul of the established church and was condemned by the Vatican. The dude was kick-ass, his teachings is reminiscient in many was of buddhism or perhaps a decrypted version of the teachings of Christ.

Also recently I finished Richard David Bach's (yes the man who wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull): Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah. It is easy to read, definately a kind of travel story, and you can finish it in about a day, but you will need some more time to think about it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2006 01:50PM by Morbid.
Date: December 29, 2006 03:08PM
gary42 Wrote:
> Neil, what do you thing of the ending - it;s
> f**king awesome IMHO, yet a lot of people find it
> disappointing. And you should also read a few of
> his other books which fit in with the stories -
> Salem's Lot is good for catching up with
> Callahan's early life and The Stand gives a good
> insight into Randall Flagg/Walter o'Dim.

I thought the ending was incredible, what i can remember anyway i read the whole book in about 6 hoursi remember i got home from work about 4am and finished it at 10am and i was that tired it wasnt funnny... i couldnt put it down!

Date: December 29, 2006 04:13PM
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> i'm currently reading "F1 Racing Magazine
> September 2000"! ;)

The postmen must be crap where you live. I got that one ages ago. ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy