CD drive down the pan!

Posted by genesis 
CD drive down the pan!
Date: May 07, 2006 03:56PM
Posted by: genesis
Hey guys, long time no post, see, whatever...

I got a new PC on monday. All's fine and dandy and then a couple of days ago I tried to install Sonar (music sequencer). There was an error during install and it quit etc etc. However, since then, my dirve wont read any CD ROMS or audio CDs, only DVDs.

Has it already knackered itself or is there something I can try? I already tried dirvers, system restore and all that but nothing seems to help.

Cheers!
Re: CD drive down the pan!
Date: May 07, 2006 05:07PM
Posted by: Vader
Is the drive still listed in system control?

You could open thjecase and check if all cables are plugged in (had a problem with the power connector with a CD drive a few years back).

Btw, Sonar rocks. Couldn't live without anymore. I already used it when it was still Cakewalk. For some reason I never really got friends with Cubase.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 07, 2006 05:16PM
Yeah I love sonar! Have to deal with teaching kids to use Logic at school...man it makes me want to murder myself and many thousands of sheep.

Okay so I'll check connections, but would it be able to read DVDs if something was unplugged?
Date: May 07, 2006 05:34PM
Oops, overlooked that one. In this the CD laser might be knackered. (I think these drives have separate lasers for CD and DVD).

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 07, 2006 07:32PM
Posted by: Muks_C
my dvd drive died suddenly after over 4 years of use.

it was detected inthe system, but just wouldn't do anything when i put cd's or dvd's in it, so bought a cheap LiteOn drive for £18.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 07, 2006 07:36PM
Over 4 years of use, fair enough. I've had this since Monday..! Ive hardly been overworking the thing! This is a 'Pioneer' drive and yeah it's cheap methinks but I should get more than 5 or 6 days use out of it!

Is it worth me buying a cheap drive cleaning kit and seeing if it kicks the laser into shape?
Date: May 07, 2006 07:47PM
you could try if it's a cheap cleaning kit. you never know.

Date: May 07, 2006 08:08PM
Argh sorry to be a pain, one more thing.

If it's knackered, how easy is it to replace, in terms of installing one? I've messed with graphics and sound cards before but nothing like messing with the CD drive, are they easy to install?
Date: May 07, 2006 08:10PM
piece of urine.

open the case, disconnect the IDE cable from the drive, disconnect the power cable from it, and also another little connect/cable thing (don't know the name, might be called audio cable or something) then unscrew it from the case, remove, and then put the new one into it, screw it in, attach the 3 things, and hey presto.

i'm a complete n00b at computer stuff, but i installed my new drive within minutes.

Date: May 07, 2006 08:57PM
Posted by: gav
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and also another little connect/cable thing (don't
> know the name, might be called audio cable or
> something)

No need to use the "little connect/cable thing" in Windows XP. It's used for playing audio CDs and such, but Windows manages it all itself now, so might as well get rid of the clutter. :)

Just got myself a Pioneer DVDRW (DVR-111DSV) last week, and it's working nicely, if rather loud when reading.
Date: May 07, 2006 09:02PM
Thanks for all your helps guys, much appreciated.

I've got the pioneer DVR-111D meself gav, so I hope the SV on the end of yours makes it better :P
Date: May 07, 2006 10:02PM
It does. It makes it silver ;)
Date: May 07, 2006 10:29PM
I recently got the LG DVD 4167B-R. Very satisfied with it.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 08, 2006 07:11PM
Posted by: Willb
My computers being a pain too!

it takes ages to boot (wouldnt boot atalll a few days ago but i ran bootvis and sort of helped it) and the mouse it all jerky when its busy (not usually like this) and whenever i try to play music in iutunes or media playit stutters very badly, it all started after my hard drive started making a "click" noise every 5/10 seconds (its not doing it now) when it clicked the pc would then jsut freeze :|

uh o...
simple problem is i cant install my new hard drive at the same time as this one becuasse i think my motherbo's broken as when you connect to devices on the primary IDE bus it wont boot. Oh dear!

sorry to hijack your thread, just needed a generalk moan about my pc;)!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: May 08, 2006 07:28PM
Sounds like the old HDD is buggered, or your PSU simply can't power it (why it's shutting the hard drive down, the clicking you were hearing) - what is the PSU?

It kind of also sounds like your PC is stuck at 100% CPU usage - USB mice in particular can freeze on some systems if the CPU usage is high - obviously media players too would suffer.

The reason your PC won't boot with the new hard drive installed will be that, 1) again, the PSU can't power both hard drives, or 2) most likely, they're set wrongly - either slave/master (the jumpers on the rear of both hard drives) or that the new hard drive (with no O/S on it) is automatically being set as the boot drive (which you can change in the BIOS).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy