How long have you been at this GP simming stuff?

Posted by Slasher 
How long have you been at this GP simming stuff?
Date: February 27, 2006 02:25PM
Posted by: Slasher
Cmon, tell the truth.

Me?

Since a brash young German came along and started giving Senna a run for his money, i got interested in F1. GP1 came out around then and i was hooked; remember that classic where you would catch the cars in front at a phenomenal rate?!

I remember, gee it would have been around 97', when GP2 came out and i thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Especially when you could actually mod the game!

Skipped on GP3. So from GP2 to GP4, well it was a whole different world!

So how about you?

Re: How long have you been at this GP simming stuff?
Date: February 27, 2006 02:45PM
Posted by: Peat
i started with GP2 at xmas 95 i think.

did the gp3 - gp4 thang. then switched to F1C. Now im on rFactor.

Date: February 27, 2006 02:56PM
Posted by: Nickv
Well since my little brother got GP2 for his birthday (which should've been 95 or 96), I've been playing it. I still think GP2 is the best game of the GP-series, I've been playing GP2 untill 2002 or 2003, I think, I loved the game so much! And I played GP3 not too long until I got GP4.
Date: February 27, 2006 04:15PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Too long. Playing some random games before "Grand Prix 1". Modding games since GP3, making games for a few months now.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 27, 2006 04:26PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Chequered Flag on the Speccy, circa 1984. Quality physics, fabulous damage modelling, some legenday fictional tracks (Psion Park and Cambridge Ring are the two I remember now). And the first two corners at Brands Hatch and Monaco were the same ;)

Used to play Speed King also, and Full Throttle, and some Le Mans arcade style game once I hade upgraded from 48k to 128k.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: February 27, 2006 04:28PM
Posted by: Muks_C
GP2 came out a lot earlier than '97, i had it on my first pc in '95, but it was probably out earlier than that (was it the '94 season?)

i sort of played it, but not properly, as i didn't have a controller so used to drive with auto-brakes, and would turn them on and off between the corners, so i didn't actually brake myself!

then got GP3 in '99 i think, after seeing it on my mates pc first, and being amazed at how good the '98 Jordan looked.

then got the GP3-2000 add-on game, and played that till mid-2003, when i upgraded my pc so i could play GP4.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 27, 2006 04:30PM
Posted by: Forgotten
Playing some random games before "Grand Prix 1"

basically the same here , though I can't remember the names of those F1 games.
Date: February 27, 2006 04:40PM
Posted by: Enjoi
First time I started editing stuff was GP2...GP2 was also my first pc racing game. I had that Nigel Mansell game for the Amiga though, That must have been my first f1 game..can't remember what year that was out though.

Ric Scott
Date: February 27, 2006 05:19PM
Posted by: Glyn
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GP2 came out a lot earlier than '97, i had it on
> my first pc in '95, but it was probably out
> earlier than that (was it the '94 season?)

GP2 came out in 1996, I think during the summer.

My first GP game was Accolade Grand Prix in 1988

Great game :)

After that the Grand Prix series, although these days I tend to stick with Papy stuff.

Date: February 27, 2006 05:30PM
Posted by: gav
Glyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GP2 came out in 1996, I think during the summer.

The demo was out a good bit earlier than the full game, but it would still have been '96 - played the demo on a mates PC, before getting the local PC shop to reserve a copy of the full game while I collected monies. :D

There was some F1 crap for the master system I had, but it wasn't even close to a sim. Still enough to keep me hooked in my tender years.

Indy 500 (Papyrus) was my first sim. I still maintain that was the best sim ever, given the hardware available at the time. Indycar came, as did F1GP (GP1), and I still reckon that Indycar was better than GP1. GP2 however was better than both, and I'd hate to know how many hours I wasted on that - first with a keyboard, then with a joystick. NASCAR2 was purchased next, then GP3 I guess, which was just as good as GP2.

2001 I bought GP4 and GPL, GPL by then having been honed into possibly the most enjoyable sim I'd ever experienced. I was instantly hooked. GPx has barely been touched since. Only other sim I've bought has been NR2003, which isn't used much in it's naked capacity, but the GTP mod gives it plenty more value. GTP is the mod we use for our WOSEC endurance races, and we practise for nearly a month in advance of each race, so you can tell NR2003 has been a pretty damn good value purchase.

rFactor and LFS have both been bought recently, though I still maintain neither are true hardcore sims.
Date: February 27, 2006 05:53PM
Posted by: Forgotten
"Indy 500 (Papyrus) was my first sim. I still maintain that was the best sim ever, given the hardware available at the time."

Have to agree with you there .. I lost many hours with that game and actually won once the 500 miles ;). The final scene wasnt 1% worth it , but the actual win was really something :)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:09PM
Posted by: Lemming
the 1st grand prix for the amiga.

luigi revilini (or however you spell his name) was so quick!

Date: February 27, 2006 07:31PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Mine was Accolade Grand Prix too on my dads PC :D

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: February 27, 2006 08:26PM
Posted by: Wirah
My brother bought Grand Prix 2 when it came out (best game ever), and I played that when I was very young, then he bought Grand Prix 3 when that was released which I didn't play so much. But I then bought Grand Prix 4 when that was released and has been the sim I've played most in recent years. I now prefer F1Challenge to GP4. I've also played Nascar Racing 2003, Grand Prix Legends, Live For Speed, rFactor, Spirit of Speed but none really made me addicted to them with the exception of NR2003 for a while.

Date: February 28, 2006 12:06AM
Posted by: NickKK
I basically grew up with this game[see below] (4d sports driving or stunts! un the UK) then played top gear 2 like mad on the genesis (I still do lol) then got into NFS3 by which time I had accidentally fallen upon GP2 and also thought it was the greatest thing ever, I would spend 9 hours a day doing championship races....crazy times.

Date: February 28, 2006 12:24AM
Posted by: madotter
I got into the gpx series back when GP2 first came out, my dad bought it for me as a present when i had to have fillings in my teeth :)
Date: February 28, 2006 01:16AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Been at it since well GP3 i guess. My First F1 Game was F1 1997 or whatever on the Ps1 though...great fun :D
Date: February 28, 2006 01:19AM
Posted by: senninho
I started on my SNES with Nigel Mansell's F1 somethingorother, based on the '92 season. Followed that up with Nigel Mansell's Indycar somethingorother the next year :)

Then mixed those two with Virtua Racing (had for the Mega Drive, how blocky ;)) until i got my first PC in '99. I remember insisting that GP2 came with it after seeing it running in director mode in a shop window. I seriously stood there for about 15 minutes watching it ;)

Date: February 28, 2006 01:58AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
hehehe dad and i bought gp2 for mum as a present hahahaa :P!

GPGSL WDC Season 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2006 01:58AM by SpaceAce.
Date: February 28, 2006 02:23AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Accolade grand prix (gpega) for me as well on my dad's 386. i still hate nigel levins for taking me out of a 20 lap race at detroit when i was about to win...

then it was GP3 in 2000 (best thing since sliced bread), and GP4 in 2002.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy