GP2 Manager - 2005: Silverstone Free Practice & Qualification Results PG36 - Searching for a new manager!

Posted by Reve-san 
Engine Negotiations Results
During this week further Engine contracts have been signed and the trend definitely goes for the three already existing engine manufacturers. After Super Nova Racing and Racing Engineering had already signed a new contract with mercedes, BCN Competition is the next team to re-sign their contract which means, there is only one contract left for the dominant engine of the beginning of this year. iSport International, who have just won yesterdays Feature Race re-signed a contract with renault as well and are therewith the second team to sign this engine. And even though this years start has not been so good for ferrari, DSR Lotus manager still decided to go with the italian engine for another year. As ferrari will only support two teams in the next year, there is only one contract left for them as well. All contracts are said to be signed at the minimum contract cost.

BMW - £7.5m (no teams left)
Ferrari - £6.5m (1 team left)
Mercedes - £7.5m (1 teams left)
Nissan - £6.5m (max 3 teams)
Renault - £7.5m (2 teams left)
Volkswagen - £5.5m (max 1 team)

Coloni Motorsports

A bad weekend for us, with both drivers struggling in every session. Monfardini out raced Bruni all weekend, but overtaking was rare, so Bruni was stuck near the back. We now look forward to the next round, where we expect a better result.

Away from this season, and looking ahead, Coloni Motorsport will be transforming into Fisichella Motor Sport International. With support from F1 driver Giancarlo Fisichella, we are expecting a strong future ahead for the team.

Joseph Gilson :: Southern Cross Racing :: Race Driver
DSR Lotus press release

A special press release was spread by DSR Lotus team. The cause is that the team renew the engine contract with Ferrari.

From the moment our team entered GP2 series, we were linked with Ferrari. At the time Deyan Rangelov bought the team, DPR have already signed an engine deal with Ferrari. What is more - a sister contract was signed, meaning that Scuderia Ferrari becomes parent team to DPR for 2006 season.
Meanwhile the Ferrari engine proved to be very reliable from the very beginning, although it lacked some speed. With the right developing program, run by Sauber GP2, Scuderia Coloni (Fisichella Motor Sport International from 2006) and DSR Lotus, we are firmly believing that we have very strong engine package, and that resulted in some podium finishes lately. It is no surprising that we wish to develop further and DSR Lotus GP2 team considers Ferrari as a major partner in our developing strategy.

The price of the deal is more or less like the this year's - 6.5 millions.

Our team owner Mr. Deyan Rangelov thinks that "when something is in a progressive line and is working well, it shouldn't be changed. That's why we decided to keep on with Ferrari engines for next year. We know Mercedes engines are a little more expensive. There are also BMW and Renault engines for next year and Nissan and Volkswagen are rumoured to be interested in entering GP2 series, too. So we were rich of options to decide. We received offers from Mercedes and Renault that were higher than the one we received from Ferrari. I swear, this was not the main reason to prefer Ferrari. As a matter of fact our Lotus partner opted for Renault engines, as they have very good connection in the past. But we are now in 21st century and DSR Lotus project is entirely new. Bulgarians have a saying "You cannot make a new whore-house with the old whores." We have started this project with Ferrari engines, we are happy of the way we are developing so I see no use to change our developing plan with a new engine."

From Ferrari PR department we received a note "GP2 series is an interesting platform for our marketing strategy. Ferrari entered the series from their debut in 2005 and are happy to announce that they have signed their first engine deal for 2006 season. However, the season in Formula 1 is very intensive and as Ferrari is in the battle for both titles, our engine department cannot support 3 teams as we do in 2005, because we need all our resources in Formula 1. On the other hand we have a partnership deal with DSR so we just couldn't refuse to support them for 2006. But we have a limit of maximum 2 teams in GP2 series for 2006 and we prefer that it is some of our customers from Coloni or Sauber. This will mean that they are happy with what we are offering them which means we have done our job well."

Lotus are believed to accept these news, although not quite happy. A high-position director in Proton group, who wished to stay anonymous, said to our media that Lotus insisted on signing an engine deal with Renault. "It is not because we think Renault engine is better than Ferrari. It's just because we know each other with Renault very well and we know Lotus-Renault is a successful combination. However, we are satisfied with Ferrari engine up to now and the possibility that they work exclusively with DSR Lotus. As a matter of fact we are thinking DSR Lotus Ferrari name is inappropriate. That' why we are negotiating with FIA governing body and Ferrari themselves in order to rebrand the engine which Ferrari will produce to Lotus. It's 50-50 situation, so I cannot say much more on that matter before everything is 100% sure."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 12:45PM by pycku.
BCN

We, BCN are happy to announce our contract extension with Mercedes. They have not let us down this season and we are confident they will power our team to a victory in the near future! The team will now start looking towards next season's drivers with the focus being up and coming British and Irish drivers, along with our current drivers if possible.
Sauber GP2

Good race from both drivers, allthough it didn't result in points for Heikki
Pleased with Montagny. If he ups his game, he may be in with a race seat next season...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Amazing stuff from Carroll, absolutely stunning performance from him. Rosberg's race was... unspectacular, and I still expected more from him.
Again, for all those not following the F1 thread: I realised (thanks to pluis) that the sister team idea is really broken and that it needs a new definition of rules, so I thought of a rule combining sister team contracts and loan drivers:

Sister team contracts can be signed whenever wanted and can last as many seasons/races as both teams agree. If a team of whichever series wants to use a driver from their sister team, both sides need to agree on a price (loan) and the amount of races the driver shall switch. As soon as they have found an agreement the series manager (me and Twigster) have to be contacted, so we both can adjust the drivers and budgets. Both sides can at any time cancel the agreement again and if that happens a part of the money paid will get paid back to the paying team.

This in the end also means you can only loan out drivers from a sister team. Multiple contracts should definitely not be allowed.

If we would use this rule, it could only come into full action from next season onwards as e. g. DSR Lotus is having a sister team contract with Ferrari but loaning out a driver from Renault.

I would like to ask everyone who loaned out a driver, is having a loan driver or signed a sister team contract what they think of this contract as soon as possible. Take in mind that it also needs Twigster to agree on this change of rule.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that sister team contracts would be free if this rule comes into play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 06:13PM by Reve-san.
Red Bull Racing Junior

What a poor weekend, and for Bernoldi to basically finish last is a sad way for him to end his career with us. We wish him all the best in his future. We are also looking forward to see what Milos [Pavlovic] can do in Magny-Cours, where we will be putting no pressure on him in his GP2 debut.

We have started looking at drivers for next year, but Pavlovic is looking to be our number 2 for next season.

HOWEVER: I would specify the thing a bit. For example: The F1 team loans their test driver to the GP2 team for the full season but decides after half the season, that they want to give him a chance in a race. In this case the F1 team can take the driver back and the GP2 team gets compensated for this money-wise (if the GP2 team paid for the use of the driver at all). Talking of this, I'd also suggest, that the price for potential loans has already to be negotiated in the sister-team contract and can only be negotiated afterwards in exceptional situations with the approval of Reve-san. This is to avoid misuse.

If the F1 team wants to make use of a regular driver of the sister team GP2 team, the contract details also have to be negotiated in the sister team contract, at least in a theoretical manner. That is, for example, the teams could negotiate, that the F1 team can make use of any of the drivers of the sister team if they provide, at least, another driver for compensation. Or alternatively, they could negotiate that the F1 team has to pay the sum that the GP2 team paid for the driver...or whatever.

In both cases, the important thing for me is that possible future driver exchanges are negotiated in the sister team contract already, so that neither part can get in a bad situation.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Racing engineering
Some progress in sprint

Well, that's a little better I suppose, and it was always going to be a challenge from where we ended up after the feature race.
We look forward to the next race with a bit more hope, and lets see if it can be a bit more of a success.

We'd also like to note how relieved we made the decision before the season to remain independent and not to have got involved in the sister/loan troubles which seem to be affecting the other teams. We may be interested in the future in a deal with an F1 team, but we would not be willing to do anything which would cost us use of a driver part way through the season.
JohnMaverick schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Combined with the idea that any GP2 driver needs a
> test driver next season to compensate the
> potential loss of a driver to the F1 sister team,
> I think it's generally a good idea.
>
> HOWEVER: I would specify the thing a bit. For
> example: The F1 team loans their test driver to
> the GP2 team for the full season but decides after
> half the season, that they want to give him a
> chance in a race. In this case the F1 team can
> take the driver back and the GP2 team gets
> compensated for this money-wise (if the GP2 team
> paid for the use of the driver at all). Talking of
> this, I'd also suggest, that the price for
> potential loans has already to be negotiated in
> the sister-team contract and can only be
> negotiated afterwards in exceptional situations
> with the approval of Reve-san. This is to avoid
> misuse.
>
> If the F1 team wants to make use of a regular
> driver of the sister team GP2 team, the contract
> details also have to be negotiated in the sister
> team contract, at least in a theoretical manner.
> That is, for example, the teams could negotiate,
> that the F1 team can make use of any of the
> drivers of the sister team if they provide, at
> least, another driver for compensation. Or
> alternatively, they could negotiate that the F1
> team has to pay the sum that the GP2 team paid for
> the driver...or whatever.
>
> In both cases, the important thing for me is that
> possible future driver exchanges are negotiated in
> the sister team contract already, so that neither
> part can get in a bad situation.

If the basic idea of the sister team contracts is going to remain, than I totally agree to you. The contracts need more details than just a sum that has to be paid. Maybe there should be a complete formular that needs to be filled out, including things like:
- GP2 teams new name
- paid sum by one of the sides
- switching between drivers
- cost of switching
- etc.

But thats just an idea, IF the sister team contract remains like it is (as my last idea was to completely seperate it from loaning out drivers - You only have a connection to the F1 team and both teams are considered one in negotiations).

----------

GPG Nations Cup: #39 Romania

Wanna become a manager of a Formula 1 team? Take your chance and start in the GP2-Series!
But didn't you say that a team can only loan F1 drivers from their sister team then? Or did I get you wrong?

On the other hand, but this is also something that would have to be discussed with Twigster before, I think we're trying to solve a problem from the wrong end, here. What we first of all need, are multiple year contracts both in GP2 and F1 (with a restriction of 2 years for GP2 and 3 years for F1). And then, the importance of driving should be increased for test drivers. That is, when a F1 test driver additionally participates as a race driver in GP2, this should bring him a significant experience advantage for the following season to make them at least an option for a F1 race cockpit in the next year.

And then, but only then, the sister teams would either make sense or could be abolished at all and teams can negotiate private arrangements where a F1 test driver from ONE team can drive for the GP2 team, without making the F1 team ask for too much money for the driver, to make things payable for the GP2 team and nevertheless give the F1 team an advantage by loaning out their driver.

JohnMaverick schrieb:
> But didn't you say that a team can only loan F1
> drivers from their sister team then? Or did I get
> you wrong?

That was a first idea, but it was dropped by me again. The latest idea (of mine) is that sister team contracts don´t have anything to do with loan drivers anymore. Their only purpose would be to have a connection between two teams.

> On the other hand, but this is also something that
> would have to be discussed with Twigster before, I
> think we're trying to solve a problem from the
> wrong end, here. What we first of all need, are
> multiple year contracts both in GP2 and F1 (with a
> restriction of 2 years for GP2 and 3 years for
> F1). And then, the importance of driving should be
> increased for test drivers. That is, when a F1
> test driver additionally participates as a race
> driver in GP2, this should bring him a significant
> experience advantage for the following season to
> make them at least an option for a F1 race cockpit
> in the next year.

Well multiple year contracts get introduced this season and come into play next season with the rules you just mentioned :)

> And then, but only then, the sister teams would
> either make sense or could be abolished at all and
> teams can negotiate private arrangements where a
> F1 test driver from ONE team can drive for the GP2
> team, without making the F1 team ask for too much
> money for the driver, to make things payable for
> the GP2 team and nevertheless give the F1 team an
> advantage by loaning out their driver.

Additionally GP2 teams should be allowed to loan out their drivers after the end of the season. I think I´m gonna work out new rules for loan drivers and the sister team contracts and send them to Twigster to discuss things with him. I think it is important that me and Twigster are both having a base concept before discussing this any further.

----------

GPG Nations Cup: #39 Romania

Wanna become a manager of a Formula 1 team? Take your chance and start in the GP2-Series!
Red Bull Racing Junior

"It looks as though the 2005 season will be the last that Red Bull Racing Junior will be backed by Red Bull, as it seems team principal, Luke Russell, and new engine supplier for 2006, BMW are going to buy out the team for next year.

Luke Russell had this to say: "We are at an advanced stage of talks, but yes, it is looking like the team will be re-branded for the 2006 season, possibly just as LR BMW Racing."

We hereby confirm that we won't start any negotiations with F1 teams before the future and details of the sister team contracts haven't been clarified. Generally we're very open to the idea of sister teams, though.

JohnMaverick Wrote:
> ART Williams quick press release
>
> We hereby confirm that we won't start any
> negotiations with F1 teams before the future and
> details of the sister team contracts haven't been
> clarified. Generally we're very open to the idea
> of sister teams, though.

I did post what Reve and I have agreed on concerning the changes to the Sister Team Rules in the F1 thread a couple of days ago, however unfortunately it seems to have gone pretty much unnoticed ;)

Anyway this is what was proposed:

Okay this is what Reve and I have discussed concerning the sister teams ruling, admittedly it was him who has re-written the rule as I've been too busy to much work on the series lately, so all credit goes to Reve :) And of course as always feel free to share your opinions and provide feedback.

Loan Drivers
F1 teams can loan drivers who they have already signed for the next season to instead race or test for one of the GP2 teams next season. This can be extremely beneficial as it allows managers to build up the perf of a younger driver, who may not be ready for F1 just yet, without wasting one of their seats in the main team. The exact details and clauses of the loan deals are to be discussed between the F1 and GP2 manager and there are no limitations as to what they can be, but you will have to send a copy of all the clauses included in the deal to Twigster and Reve-san so we can keep track of things to ensure that there is no wrong doing. Money received from loan deals can be spent at anytime during the season on either contract negotiations or testing, but any left over at the end of the season will be added to your testing budget.

Note, that the following drivers are not allowed to join GP2 Series:
-> Drivers, who have driven a whole season (18 races) in Formula 1
-> Drivers, who are over the age of 30
-> Drivers, who have won the GP2 Championship

Additionally GP2 managers are also able to loan out their drivers to a F1 team at the end of the GP2 season. While the drivers benefit from their Formula 1 experience, they will still be able to drive in GP2 next season except they reach the 18 F1 races mark. The money received will be added to the current budget immediately and can be used for negotiations or be saved for next years test sessions.

Sister Team Contracts
In addition to loan drivers, F1 and GP2 teams are now allowed to be linked up to sister teams. These contracts can be signed anywhen throughout the whole season and can last as many races / seasons as the two teams agree on. If you sign such a contract, the two teams will be seen as one team when it comes to negotiations. This is good, if you remember this rule:

„... The driver will accept the highest offer unless his current team are within £500k of the highest bid for the driver in which case the driver will stay with his current team.“

Additionally F1 teams could say that they are only loaning out their drivers to their sister team and vice versa, but that´s completely up to them. It is also possible to rename the GP2 team to show the relationship between the two teams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also note that any rule changes will only come into effect next season. For now as I have already stated I am happy to allow drivers to race in both F1 and GP2 at the same time, as long as they meet the requirements for GP2, in order to avoid the issue with the current rules.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Oh, I'm sorry. Must really have missed that. I must admit, I still don't see the real benefit of sister teams in this case, but the new loan driver rules are definitely a good beginning, in my opinion.

And just to clarify it once more: From the next season on, drivers will not be allowed to race in GP2 and test in F1 at the same time (but only for the remaining races in F1, when GP2 is already over). Is that correct?

May I ask how many sister contracts per team are allowed? Is it possible to sign sister contract with teams from same championship?

What I mean is - is it possible that Red Bull Racing sign a sister contract with Toro Rosso and then with Red Bull Junior GP2 team? If so - what is the connection between Toro Rosso and Red Bull Junior?
I've got a quick question Reve which could be a possible problem. What happens if you sign a GP2 driver for next season who then becomes GP2 Champion? This would mean he was unable to compete in GP2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy