Creating a Fictional Track --- XANAX NEEDED

Posted by andreigp4 
Creating a Fictional Track --- XANAX NEEDED
Date: June 24, 2011 10:29AM
Posted by: andreigp4
So i am new to track creating but i have some good ones in the drawer and i want to create them for the community. Just started today (after reading several guides) and stumbled upon this bizarre thing. Random white lines. Would this affect the final result? If anyone has the answer please reply:

Here is the problem:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

____
Re: Problem creating a fictional track
Date: June 24, 2011 04:27PM
Posted by: RyuLotusFP
Delete all CC-lines leaving an two lines! That it solve the problem!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My drawing art page
Eddie e Seus Peugeots Wiki
My personal blog
Produced in Maués, Brazil - Visit the Amazon and the Land of Guaraná
Date: June 24, 2011 11:06PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, ccline (best cars trajectory) is still defined for the whole track despite you removed all sectors, because ccline and sectors are two different things.
First you have to create all sectors and get the layout done, second, check the ccline and refine it to your new layout. You can hide ccline in the meanwhile using adequate icon from the GP4Builder toolbar or delete most of the ccline sections like adviced by RyuLotusFP (what you will probably do anyway before recreating ccline).

Date: June 24, 2011 11:24PM
Yes that was it.

I guess this is just the begging of a long frustrating month (both for me and for the people who reply to this topic) !:-o

____
Hi guys!

I was busting my balls yesterday to create a .dat file that can be read in the game.

The tutorial that i have tells me to set the first 3 sectors Z's and Z2's values to 0 and then rebuild the track with no elevation (later to be added in Autocad). Same for the Pit-lane. The track building wasn't much of problem because i understand the principles of physics :).

However when I tried to build the Pit-lane entry an exit I thought it looked better than the Sistine Chapel. When i checked for flags it told me that I have to connect the entry and exit (and for sure they "look'' connected because I overlay-ed them with the track). I have to mention that I have build first the track and then the Pit-lane.

Here is a wishlist for Christmas:
1. Is there some step by step tutorial for building the Pit-lane?
2. Please guys, if you have time, those of you who know how to build tracks and are doing a fantastic job of it, please, please, please, please, please, please make a Video tutorial with step by step instructions, for us mortals, on how to build tracks.

Help much appreciated!

PS: or maybe building tracks is not for me :) after all i have a degree in Geography and French, not computers(N)

____
andreigp4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys!
>
> I was busting my balls yesterday to create a .dat
> file that can be read in the game.
>
> The tutorial that i have tells me to set the first
> 3 sectors Z's and Z2's values to 0 and then
> rebuild the track with no elevation (later to be
> added in Autocad). Same for the Pit-lane. The
> track building wasn't much of problem because i
> understand the principles of physics :).
>
>
> However when I tried to build the Pit-lane entry
> an exit I thought it looked better than the
> Sistine Chapel. When i checked for flags it told
> me that I have to connect the entry and exit (and
> for sure they "look'' connected because I
> overlay-ed them with the track). I have to mention
> that I have build first the track and then the
> Pit-lane.
>
> Here is a wishlist for Christmas:
> 1. Is there some step by step tutorial for
> building the Pit-lane?
> 2. Please guys, if you have time, those of you who
> know how to build tracks and are doing a fantastic
> job of it, please, please, please, please, please,
> please make a Video tutorial with step by step
> instructions, for us mortals, on how to build
> tracks.
>
> Help much appreciated!
>
> PS: or maybe building tracks is not for me :)
> after all i have a degree in Geography and French,
> not computers(N)

I struggled a lot when i first tried track making a fews back...tips...look at the flag order of the original unedited .dat file...writed these down & ad the flag commands in same order i wip .dat file....make sure that the start & ends of the pitlane touch the road/track surface...also.....don't forget the two flag commands that are added to the track .dat ..

if you keep these points in mind the .dat should load every time in gp4.....
Re: Building Pit-lane tutorial needed
Date: June 25, 2011 04:40PM
Posted by: Prblanco
I just wrote this tutorial, hoping to be of help.

A video tutorial seems too much work to do, but keep questions coming.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Woow! Now that's what i call good timing!

____
Date: June 25, 2011 05:03PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Make the width of the banks where the cars stop not narrower than 6 à 7 metres or wider than 9 à 10 metres, otherwise cars will get stuck when they are making a pit stop.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: June 25, 2011 06:18PM
Is there any way to build the CC line automatically?

____
Date: June 25, 2011 06:34PM
No, there isn't. CC-line is the most "trial and error" thing you have on the .dat file.

The track is supposed to load ingame with no cc-line at all if you care to test. There should be some nice crashes ;)

I have a tutorial on cc-lines too, which is 2 years old already, but nothing has changed I guess.

Date: June 25, 2011 07:24PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Not much have changed since then but radius dynamic boxes (keep left mouse bouton clicked in one and value will grow up and down with mouse moves)

Date: June 25, 2011 07:48PM
Man this is harder than I thought.

I am at this point:

1. Finished the track (closed it on top on 0 mark)
2. Finished the Pit-lane (with correct elevations)
3. I have connected both ends and added the correct width to the Pit-lane. Basically there are no errors when I check for flags (OK check mark for all)

NO CC line or cameras.

When I entered in the game and try to select the Sepang track (this is the track on which I have'd worked so far) it says File Not Found. I think I am missing something and I bet it has to do with the old layout, old .bin files and stuff like that. I also suppose I have to export something and overwrite in the original sepang2001.wad file.

But what and how...still is a mystery for me.

PS: I am familiar with zaz tools and have'd opened wads before (to update seasons).

____
Re: Creating a Fictional Track --- XANAX NEEDED
Date: June 25, 2011 08:33PM
If the "File Not Found" message appears when you click on "Drive", it means it can't find the .dat file. Make sure it's in the Circuits folder and named S1CT02.dat (original name for sepang slot).

If there's any other missing files, the game will crash without any message.

Date: June 25, 2011 09:05PM
Ok!

So the problem was that i haven't closed Gp4 Builder (the file was in use). Noob!!! (N)

Went to GP4 menu, track loaded, everything went perfect till lights came off! :))

Cars crashing all over the grand stands and fences (because i had made a left turn in my fictional track). I guess that I have to delete that (trees, grandstands, fences, etc) from a specific file in order to test this track. Also noticed that I might miss some tarmac texture. But i can figure that right now because the angle was to tight and went directly into the spectators area :) ( a la Mark Webber in Valencia 2010).

Any ideas? Have to export my layout in some other formats (.bin, .gp4, etc) and then copy - paste into my sepang2001.wad?

Thanks for sticking with me and I am sure you will improve thus your tutorials to be understand even by idiots like me ;)

____
Date: June 25, 2011 09:24PM
Okay, you're getting near the choice between blue pill and red pill ;) From now on you'll need to work on more files, so I recommend creating a "work" folder somewhere.

Open the .dat and select these two commands:

File > Convert .dat > Create .bin files
File > Convert .dat > Create .col files

That'll create the basic .bin and .col files which you need to put inside sepang2001.wad. These will sort the tarmac and car shadows, respectively.

Now for the .gp4 file, which is "the file", graphically speaking. Get inside sepang2001.wad, find sepang2001.gp4 and extract it (in maps\sepang2001 folder if I'm not mistaken).

Place the .gp4 file in the same folder as your .dat file and open the .gp4 with GP4Builder - the .dat will be loaded together automatically.

Now let me take a breath to explain what to do with the .gp4 file. See you next post ;)

Date: June 25, 2011 09:43PM
What I'll explain now is a "test" procedure - it will delete all objects around track and create only the graphics of your new layout - no trees, no buildings.

Open the .gp4 file with the .dat in the same folder. Then, in GP4Builder, double-click "Scenes" then "Add" > "New scene". A dummy object will be created inside the new scene. Then click "Add" > "Track from .dat".

A new window will open where you can select which track sectors to convert, and which textures to use. For the sepang .wad, choose these textures then click "Create track mesh".

Tarmac: sepang2001_page_024.tex
Side line: ...025.tex
Verge: ...026.tex
Bank: ...028.tex
Wall: ...012.tex
Kerbs: ...030.tex
CC-Line: ...033.tex

(In fact, I have a "test" .wad file that I have deleted all .tex files but the seven listed above, and I use it to test every .dat that is sent to me for testing)

The mesh will be created, but it will be in the middle of all the objects from the original Sepang. So go up and delete the other 3 scenes that were already there. Then save the file, (close GP4Builder) and put the new .gp4 inside sepang2001.wad. It should be okay to run, of course I didn't explain the options which aren't important right now.

Also, to view .tex files inside GP4Builder, you need to convert them to .tga and put the .tgas in the same folder as the .gp4 file. Either Slimtex or TexResizer can do the conversion.

Date: June 25, 2011 10:12PM
First of all thank you for you patience and very fast reply, timed perfectly with my long 8 hrs butt flatting and nerve wracking quest to understand how on Earth a Gp4 track is build. For sure those 8 hours would have been 8 months if I was alone.

Man that was an amazing ride! At some point I just wanted to invade Malaysia and get on with it :).

The track is obviously bullcrap :) (but now i see where the errors are in terms of angles and radius), but for some reason I feel fantastic ;)

So now it's back to the drawing table but I will keep this topic alive for other dare devils to venture in this rewarding activity!!!

I will post again (when I will make a real usable track -not STUNTS like, if you know that old DOS game) to get onward with next steps. Also I will check your blog regularly.

Thank you again! Amazing! Feels like I won a Formula 1 Grand Prix :)

Later edit

PS: For some reason some cars bounce in the air after crossing the line. I have used 2 units over the 0 mark to close the track and elevation is the same for all. Is there a standard number of sectors to cross the 0 mark?

____
Date: June 25, 2011 10:26PM
Really great news :)

Stunts brings back memories! It had a built-in track editor! ;)

Date: June 25, 2011 10:29PM
Answer for late edit:

First, you only need one track sector after sector zero. Second, try hitting "Fix cc-cars behavior" on the "Action" menu to see if the bouncing is fixed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy