track Editing

Posted by Lo2k 
track Editing
Date: February 17, 2003 08:02AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Here is anew screenshot of my 3D viewer.
Works a little better now :)

Many interesting things come from my tests:
1- Tracks (at least Monza) are compound of 3 layers.
On the picture below, you can only see elements of the first one, wich contain fences, cranes, walls and stands.
Second layer got roof, trees, far buildings and near backgrounds.
and third layer is coumpound of terrain himself where lies the trackroad.

2- As i guessed since GP3 and the weird F12 function key under GPxPatch, tracks elements are designed mirrored under the road for the rain reflection effect. Yep, GP4 as GP3 don't use textures for reflections of elements in water but some mask textures letting us see or not a mirrored "copy" of the mesh under the road.

3-For now, i still have to use 2 tools before being able to see the tracks in 3D Viewer but i will gather my different tools in the next days.
I will also add texture support that is already half-implemented (but can't be seen yet in the screenshot).
Mouse handling is still perfectly smooth but i had some exits without warning from time to time under Win98SE.

See you later for more news :)

Post Edited (02-17-03 15:04)

Re: track Editing
Date: February 17, 2003 08:14AM
Posted by: Ellis
I am getting excited. Maybe one day soon we will have a working track editor

So it is possible to extract the data and build a working viewer? How about editing the position of something? Is that possible?

And then of course getting the data back into the game

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 17, 2003 09:30AM
Posted by: tux
show off :P jk

looking good :) (u know what ure letting ureself in for dont u? :P)

Date: February 17, 2003 01:08PM
You're right Ellis, these are steps that i will have to follow to build a final editor.

For now, i can read any gp4 file, store all its datas and display them in a realtime 3D viewer.
Texture mapping is near OK but it's also bringing to front the matter of batch converting tex to tga files, as i still can't read tex files directly.
Exporting datas is also not a problem.
The real work is to find an easy way to edit vertex and all other values.
Of course, i can give you lists of vertices but i doubt that many people will love to edit a 23 Mb text file with more than 150 000 vertices coordinates :)

I think i will bring a raw editing option to start, but will still look for a more graphical editing next.

Date: February 17, 2003 01:31PM
just edit them in a 3d modeler

Date: February 17, 2003 01:38PM
hmm, i don't know...i thought about exporting them to wrl but it would also limitate the editing options...so i don't know right now.

Post Edited (02-17-03 20:56)

Date: February 17, 2003 11:10PM
Posted by: raztahz
thats excellent... great work!!!! :)

Date: February 18, 2003 03:48AM
A new work shot:
Here is a 3dsmax render, using a vrml file of the track, given directly by my tool.
Still no texturing for now and additional fake lightnings but this time you can see all three layers.

Date: February 18, 2003 03:53AM
Posted by: Ellis
Looking good!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 19, 2003 06:40AM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
:) hope you can get there...

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Date: February 19, 2003 07:02AM
Posted by: sasjag
"2- As i guessed since GP3 and the weird F12 function key under GPxPatch, tracks elements are designed mirrored under the road for the rain reflection effect. Yep, GP4 as GP3 don't use textures for reflections of elements in water but some mask textures letting us see or not a mirrored "copy" of the mesh under the road. "

could that be the reason i keep getting this?

which is the most annoying thing ever, and impossible to drive with. it usually stays for a few laps, then disappears, as tho it has loaded all the stuff. it has everything reflected in it, and turns walls and stuff see through

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 19, 2003 07:32AM
Posted by: Xero
Thats awesome lo2k!!

You say you can extract the data, but as we all know, the real problem is putting it back into something GP4 can read. You think you'll be able to do it?... unless you have already?!?

Date: February 19, 2003 07:58AM
Posted by: Morbid
I don't really understand all the technical issues, but I understand enough to say: WOW!!!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 19, 2003 09:06AM
Posted by: Glyn
This is excellent news, everything is looks great! ;)

Im interested in this mirror stuff though. Does it mean that GP3/4 reflects all images, and then decides what you see and what you dont see? If so, doesnt that create extra work for the processor on dry tracks?

Date: February 19, 2003 11:13AM
to sasjag: Nice shot :) I never saw anything so weird with GP4, whatever tries i already made :) but i can't really help you with it, sorry...

to Xero: Yep export will not be a problem as i said sooner, the only problem is to provide an easy way of editing the huge amount of datas, but else, it's near easy.

to Morbid: :)

to Glyn: Yes and no. Yes because this way tracks use more polygons (and textured ones) and no cause this way gp4 don't have to compute any realtime reflection texture.
It was an interesting idea for GP3 as GP3 was nearly not using graphical cards for rendering. For now, even if realtime reflections can be done by the hardware (as car reflections), it's still a good idea as GPU handle really huge amount of polygons and can handle the "mirrored part" of the track without too much PO effect.

To end, here is a last work in progress shot with again the all 3 layers.
Badly, i have some matters with texturing and can't display them for now, but it's only the beginning :)

Date: February 19, 2003 11:25AM
Date: February 19, 2003 12:02PM
Posted by: sasjag
i seemd to have fixed that now, just had to enable bump mapping and i ain't had it since

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 19, 2003 12:06PM
Posted by: Orpheus
nice lo2k ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: February 19, 2003 12:58PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
keep going lo2k , great work :)

Date: February 19, 2003 02:13PM
Just a proof that it could work.
For now I HAVN'T CHANGE WITH MY EDITOR, i just used it to know what values to change in monza.gp4.

As you can see, it works :)

PS: Oh, and the yellow "2" in 3D viewer is fraps result but it doesn't work in realtime, only when i move the mouse, so it doesn't show the real value. The real value is 43, when i keep moving the mouse for a while :)

Post Edited (02-19-03 21:17)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy