[WIP] Fantasy car 2011 by Mitsuro Sano

Posted by Mitsuro Sano 
[WIP] Fantasy car 2011 by Mitsuro Sano
Date: January 26, 2011 11:45PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
Hi all!

Like Hades does on his own tread, I've started a fantasy F1 shape within the 2011 regulations. The car is still WIP but for sure, there will be template for it. I didn't manage to give you a template for the 2009 cars I did, so it's a bit fair to give you template for this one!

I have got NO knowledge on aerodynamic, but for fun, I will explain why I shaped my fantasy car this way.

[B*******] begins now :) ;)

This car will run the Cosworth Engine

Within the rules of 2011, basically, RedBull's sharkfin style has been forbidden and also the roll-over bar a la Mercedes, so I decided to just have a classis engine cover with the mandatory bodywork on the engine cover.
New rules prevent any aperture on the underfloor behind the driver cockpit, in order to prevent the double diffuser. Height of the diffuser has been reduced too from 200mm to 175mm. So basically, the diffuser is less efficient, but still, is the part which give the most downforce ( with the underfloor of course ) with not a lof of drag. So I opted for a high nose, in order to put more air under the car and maximaze the diffuser effect ( U-shaped nose a la RedBull has been used in order to put the most clean air as possible under the nose ) .

The mirrors cannot be in the sidepod fin anymore since China 2010, and they cannot be fit too close to the cockpit ( like Ferrari and Redbull did last year for instance )

On this second shot, you can see that the sidepod rear end is really tight and really low, in order to make the diffuser working best with the lower and upper rear wing. Also, in a slight way, it lowered the center of gravity which have been highered by the raised nose.

The apertures from the sidepod end are very tiny, so hot air is evacuated by an aperture on the engine cover, like did RedBull. A little wing is placed behind the aperture to guide the airflow upwards in order to reduced the drag caused by the rear wing.

Rear wing feature the movable device. There is not a lot of precision on the rules of how it can be implemented to the car, so you can use the movable device like a mini-winglet which will have the effect to have better airflow through the upperface of the rear wing ( like did the BAR in 2004 in Australia which was immediatly asked to reduce the size by the FIA because it was too efficient ).

The front of the car is very complex ( I'm sure in real life it will NEVER work! ;) ).
The main wing looks a lot like Toyota's and Lotus's ones, shaped in a way to reduce vortices on the inner part of the wing, without losing a lot of downforce. Like all cars in 2010, front fins are shaped in a way to guide airflow away of the front wheels.

The upper front wings ( I don't know how are they called, but I talked about the wings who lies with the front fins ), add extra downforce to the car and not only put the airflow above the front wheels but also on the external side of the wheels. Why I choose that? Because of Massa in Barcelona, after he damaged his front wing by hitting an HRT I believe, he gained 0,5s on the next laps. His wing where oriented like mine! But honestly I think he gained 0,5s just because I wasn't behind a car anymore.

The little appendice near the center line of the car seperate the which go into the radiator to the flow which go around and above the sidepod. It also permit to feed air to a special part of a car...

This is a weird shape for a splitter!

Basically, new rules prevent the use of double diffuser. But I think I've found a way to use Legal Double Diffuser. Last year, an aperture was made near the rear wheel centerline on the underfloor in order to make the ddd working. Now, bodywork which can be seen from underneath must form one continous surface from around the rear end of the cockpit to the end of the diffuser.

But my opening is made a lot earlier. There is a slot under the splitter which will be reduced along the length of the car in order to accelerate the airflow going through it. I tried to put the maximum of clean air flow through this slot to maximize the effect of my ddd

The exit of the diffuser. It's a simple shaped double decked diffuser. Gurney trim's has been added on top of the main diffuser in order to create a low pressure area which will help airflow exiting upwards and reducing the drag.

As I said earlier, all I said is certainly a Non-sense ;) but it's just for fun!

Ciao :)
Re: [WIP] Fantasy car 2011 by Mitsuro Sano
Date: January 26, 2011 11:46PM
Posted by: Shaddix
that looks awesome!
Date: January 26, 2011 11:47PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
I like it! :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: January 26, 2011 11:51PM
Posted by: senna9194
nice job mate,keep it up!:-)

My GPGSL Career
Date: January 26, 2011 11:56PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
now give those images to HRT... i'm sure it will be better than anything they make themselves...

-------------------------------------------
Date: January 27, 2011 12:18AM
Posted by: jucksman
Hello Mitsuro! I have a degree in aerodynamics and your car looks very promising indeed! :-)
If you want to, I can give you some pointers based in real single seater aero. Just let me know.
Cheers
Date: January 27, 2011 12:23AM
Posted by: kerleyf1
NeoLiot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> now give those images to HRT... i'm sure it will
> be better than anything they make themselves...

That's true! Maybe Mitsuro can work as a Aerodinamioc Engeneer fo Hispania.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: January 27, 2011 12:26AM
Posted by: DaiMOn
Wow. It looks awesome. I love the nose and the front wing. (Y)
Date: January 27, 2011 12:46AM
Posted by: Excalibur
Excellent work Andry! When I compare your F1 2011 to the nose of the future Lotus TL 11, it really looks like to a real F1 2011, very close of the 2011 regulations and specificities. The same about your sidepods and Ferrari F150 ones.

This car looks awesome! Incredible to see what you have done just regarding the 2011 regulations! I think this is the first time we can see a F1 car ready before the officials launch dates and season starts. Congatulations! You have just created the 13th team! ;)

(Y)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 12:52AM by Excalibur.
Date: January 27, 2011 08:02AM
Posted by: soulbringer
Wow! that's a beauty.
I like nose cone shape, early 90's Ligier/Prost like.
Fantastic work! I wish I had time to do something similar :-(
Date: January 27, 2011 08:52AM
Posted by: kimifanaat
It is for sure a beautiful car. Wouldn't mind to see it in real F1!

Date: January 27, 2011 09:39AM
Posted by: fongu
very nice fantasy car :)

Date: January 27, 2011 10:16AM
Posted by: quickslick
very impressive work Andry :)
Date: January 27, 2011 02:28PM
Posted by: Duffer
Very nice shape !! I wait for the livery now ;)

--------------------------------------------

Date: January 27, 2011 03:49PM
Posted by: raulongo
Wow, stunning! For your information, shark fins are allowed for 2011, but they must not be connected in any way to the rear wing. I'm attaching Autosport's 2011 chassis coverage. I hope it helps!

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 04:13PM by raulongo.
Date: January 27, 2011 10:39PM
Posted by: gezere
Mon dieu que c'est beau :) :) Great Job Andry

Date: January 27, 2011 11:24PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Stunning work Andry :) many people even thought your beauty was Ferrari F150 :
[forums.autosport.com]
[forums.autosport.com]
[ordinarium.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 11:31PM by vesuvius.
Date: January 27, 2011 11:39PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
Lol! I have never thought that some people would think it will be a real contender! It's a real pleasure for me! ( I don't know how it reached there as I only post the car in GPG! )

Thanks all for your comments :-)

@Raulongo, thanks for the pics my friend! I know that shark fin isn't banned, I've just said that the shark fin introduced by RedBull in 2009 was ;). Honestly, it was because I find it nicer without a shark fin that I decided not to put one!
Date: January 27, 2011 11:48PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
oh, cool! Well, Andry... I think that says alot about the quality of your cars, huh? :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: January 28, 2011 12:40AM
Posted by: Vandusk
Fantastic! I'm loving that car. Can't wait to see the livery of my fantasy team on it. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy