what view angle is most realistic?

Posted by renyf1 
Re: what view angle is most realistic?
Date: January 27, 2003 06:58AM
Posted by: LarryM
Surely all sincere and serious sim drivers dive in cockpit mode! We have so much about how realistic Gp4 is and people are driving in T-cam mode. :)
Only kidding ;-). It's a game and everybody can choose what's best for them. For me...I want to get as close to "being there" as possible. So it's cockpit view.

By the way Vader, how did you get those hands on the steering wheel?

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 27, 2003 08:00AM
Posted by: Vader
In external view (T-cam) view there are hands. I just took the Camera Editor and changed the values of the external cams until the view was like I thought a real cockpit view looked. I now see that I should move the camera back again to able to see the mirrors.

Unfortunately the arms are too short. They just end at the rim of the screen. Whenever the wheel turns to a certain degree you see them magically levitating in the air, not connected to any material body. Same goes for the cockpit itself. Looks like cut of with an angle grinder.

Maybe you can change this with different "arms" pics and remodelling of the shape in zmodeller.

Post Edited (01-27-03 15:01)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 27, 2003 09:13AM
Posted by: Lo2k
nope, you won't be able to fix that.
In fact, it's an inherent property of any 3D camera as any camera have a long (wide) value that was often too short for old games and that was causing the effect named "clipping" and a short value causing effect you just point out.
In both cases, in games, those values are always used as closed from each other as possible, meaning less 3D objects has to be compute by the game.

So, coming back to GP4, our only hope is to find the low value and to reduce it a bit if possible.

Date: January 27, 2003 10:04AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
The cockpit_wheel.gp4 is locked can't open in Zmodeler. Maybe if that could be edited there could be hands on wheel for cockpit view..
Date: January 27, 2003 10:06AM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Is the T-cam position editable, Lo2k? I see that it's giving you trouble.

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: January 27, 2003 11:12AM
Nope, it's still not editable for the good reason i never found where are its values. All other cams are together but this one seems to be apart but i havn't find it for now... : / (and sincerely, i don't search for it every days :)

Date: January 27, 2003 12:35PM
Posted by: Glyn
Surely all sincere and serious sim drivers dive in cockpit mode! We have so much about how realistic Gp4 is and people are driving in T-cam mode.

The good thing with the T-CAM is the impression for speed. Its also a lot easier for begineers to play the car too, but I personally still think the cockpit view makes you drive faster as you can see how steep the kerbs are etc.

Also, the runoffs seem bigger in cockpit, which is great if your leading on the last lap of a 100% race distance race :)

Date: January 28, 2003 08:41AM
Posted by: SchimmyMike
I'm using the normal cockpit mode with 27% zoom. OK there're no hands but its realistic enough.

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: January 28, 2003 08:46AM
Posted by: Ellis
Hans wud most liekly annoy me. The F1 200x hands are major pish, they dont turn correctly like normal arms wud. Imagine yourself turning a wheel, it just is nothing like the F1 200x arms. Thats why i prefer not having them in GP4

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 28, 2003 12:59PM
I agree Ellis. Hands spoil a game really. When you racing with a wheel you can normally see your hands in the corner of your eye, so you dont need virtual hands too. The same thing goes for steering wheels, but in-game wheels actually give you quite a bit of feedback.

Date: January 28, 2003 01:01PM
Some games though dont suffer from hands. Mainly touring car games like LFS, but strangly, I prefer GPL with hands.

Date: January 29, 2003 06:27AM
i'd prefer gpl style (polygonal) arms im GP4. and individual wheels.

Date: January 30, 2003 10:01PM
Posted by: renyf1
hey do check this out

its a mod for f12002 of a 70s McLaren

i love the angle! i can't see the front or really see the front wheels too much

[www.simmods.com]
Date: February 01, 2003 09:56AM
Thats pretty good. Your nice and low to the tarmac which is realistic.

Date: February 01, 2003 02:59PM
Hmm, building 3D arms will surely become possible in the future it's a matter of time.
About individual wheels, if you speak about move of them, they become independent with 1.02 version (go check it :)
And front and rear 3D tyres will become editable too in the future ;-)
even the cockpit ones...nice news, no ? ;-)

Date: February 02, 2003 08:44AM
Nice news, yes ? ;)

Date: February 02, 2003 01:13PM
What I meant was individual steering wheels. ;)

Post Edited (02-02-03 20:13)

Date: February 02, 2003 03:10PM
Oh ! ok, sorry :)
Well, for that, i have no solution for now : /

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy