what view angle is most realistic?

Posted by renyf1 
what view angle is most realistic?
Date: January 23, 2003 11:58AM
Posted by: renyf1
i can see from having many 1/18th scale models of F1 cars and seeing lots of pics that the driver doesn't have a very good view of the track straight ahead but more on the side

like check out JV's comments on his current car that he can't see very well out of the front of the car (but thats due to the HANS device)

also most drivers aren't very tall except maybe Webber, Wilson, and Coulthard.....so the other drivers must suffer from this also

so getting back to my original question.....what does everyone else feel is the best setting for the view angle ?

Reny
Re: what view angle is most realistic?
Date: January 23, 2003 12:46PM
Posted by: Vader
It should actually be MUCH deeper than in most F1 sims. As far as I remember Psygnosis F1 97 offered quite a realistic angle - though driving model, tracks (I tried it again recently and I didn't know where excatly I was most of the time :S) and graphics (compared to current standards) sucks. If I can be arsed (as sasjag would say) I'll post a screenie soon.

Post Edited (01-23-03 19:55)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 23, 2003 12:49PM
Posted by: renyf1
cool...atleast i have someone who understands what i'm posting about :-)

i'll await the pics

do u figure that our cockpit designers would be able to "correct" this?
Date: January 23, 2003 12:53PM
TADAM!

There is a camera editor out there [www.grandprixgames.org]

Look under editors. I don't know if this is the version that already supports Gp4 1.02. Check readme.

I forgot to mention that it does not change the cockpit view, but you can set the other cams to an angle that simulates a realistic view. Unfortunately you cannot see the LCDs and displays on wheel anymore.

Post Edited (01-23-03 19:58)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 23, 2003 01:02PM
Posted by: sasjag
"If I can be arsed (as sasjag would say)"

OK Vader, that is too @#$%& freaky for words, my mates were having a go at me today coz i kept saying "If i can be arsed" or "i can't be arsed"

i'm very, very scared now :S

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: January 23, 2003 02:15PM
sasjag -
I told you I was omniscient.

Anyway, here are some screenies.

top left: Andretti Racing (Indy/CART) EA Sports 97
top right: CART Precision Racing (CART) Microsoft 97
down left: F1 '97 (F1) Psygnosis 98
down right: Newman Haas Racing (CART) Psygnosis 98

all pretty old and crap to look at nowadays. Obviously I didn't remember the F1 '97 view very well since it is obvioulsy even crappier than most other old games.

This is better: An edited camera angle for GP4.

This should be pretty much like that what drivers actually see. Maybe it's a bit too close to the wheel, but at least you have hands on the wheel.

(All pics resized)

Post Edited (01-23-03 21:24)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 23, 2003 02:49PM
Posted by: Alex13
I think it is too close. And also the cam should be just a little higher.
As for f1 gaming, well... T-cam will do the job for me

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: January 23, 2003 02:53PM
Posted by: Zcott
I think that's just right, actually. When you read accounts of journalists driving F1 cars, that's the impression they give. Right up against the wheel.

Date: January 23, 2003 03:03PM
When i'll drive an f1 car be sure that you will be the first one to know how it looks! :)

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: January 23, 2003 03:04PM
It's hard to drive from this perspective, though. People who keep on complaining Eau Rouge is too easy to take flat out should try it with this cam and they'll see it makes a difference. First laps I got through it without spinning or hitting anything 1 time out of 20.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 23, 2003 03:22PM
There is another famus turn in Japan.. I think the name is R 133 or something like that! I have a video from Senna (his 1990 best qual lap).
Sh!t. I think these two turns are the most demanding in f1 today.

Date: January 23, 2003 03:32PM
Posted by: raztahz
i drive a fromula ford...no difference i presume.... montoya sits very low

i remember a coment about one driver saying: its like sitting ina bath tub...

GP4 should use a the actual carshape for its cockpit view like EA's
F1 2002 rather than using another shape or .mod file... but i don't like
f1 2002's cockpit view..looks terrible!!

Date: January 23, 2003 03:39PM
I am a race driver (not a pro,racin is just my hobbby) I drive just for fun and very few races per season, but i have never driven a formula car... Hope i someday will. For now i am racing in da league called GP4! hehe

Date: January 23, 2003 03:42PM
There are many famous turns in F1, even in Japan. But why did you think about Japan when I said Eau Rouge? I would have expected a comment on Blanchimont.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 23, 2003 05:44PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Because the 130R corner in Suzuka is a more challenging cornerthan Blanchimont, much like Eau Rouge used to be.

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: January 23, 2003 10:16PM
Posted by: raztahz
130r is not challenging anymore at formula one... i saw tukuma sato take that flat out on his t-cam (he he traction control)

their constructing a new corner at suzuka near the 130r.. double chicane
i think it is?....

Date: January 24, 2003 03:13AM
Posted by: Glyn
You mean they are removing 130r, or just reducing the entry speed? Because if they are then thats another great track and corner wrecked :(

Date: January 24, 2003 03:50AM
[www.grandprix3.com]

read this ... :(

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 24, 2003 08:01AM
Posted by: Lo2k
:) Thanks Vader for reminding that Cameditor exists :)

But you were wrong: you can now edit the cokpit view as any other camera. You don't believe me ? Well it's even writen in the text on grandprixgames cameditor download page :)
I added the cockpit cam when first carshapes appears, in order to be able to use the cockpit view with the new carshapes.

Just have a try ;-)

Note: CamEditor and all my others tools are here: [realgpx.free.fr]

Date: January 24, 2003 08:18AM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Traction control wouldn't come into play at such a high speed corner (no wheelspin at that speed), it's mainly used for the exit of low speed corners.

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy