Just got the game, some questions

Posted by phil35 
Just got the game, some questions
Date: October 04, 2010 07:50PM
Posted by: phil35
I apologise, these are probably easily answered questions, but I can't seem to find answers for them (even by searching this forum!)

I know that it is possible to speed up time in a qualifying sessions (select the >> arrow on the LED), but it doesn't seem to be possible to do so in any practise sessions (and I assume the warm up session, although I haven't tried a warm up yet). Is there any way to be able to speed up a practise session?

Also, in qualifying the current lap times of all the different drivers appears in front of you, showing them in real time. Is there a way to see the current real time lap times of all the different drivers in the practise sessions as well? As far as I know, you only see what position you are ranked, and the fastest time done so far on your LED.

If it matters, I believe to have installed the patch :-)

Again, apologies for the newbie questions.
Re: Just got the game, some questions
Date: October 04, 2010 09:12PM
A couple more questions:

Sometime a yellow square with an arrow and three black circles on appears in the top right of the screen. Can't find anything about it in the manual, what does it mean?

Also, if I pre-determine a pit strategy, but have an accident on the first lap say, and they call me into the pits, they think that it is the first scheduled pit stop, even though it isn't! It appears to me that they are then putting fuel in that was supposed to be put in the first scheduled pit stop. Is there a way to stop them doing so, and just fix my wing, for example?
Date: October 04, 2010 10:20PM
Posted by: mortal
Install gpx_patch, then you can use the 9 key to show all the splits. To speed up a session,use esc and then select accelerated time. you cannot change the games pitstop, they will always give you fuel.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 04, 2010 11:39PM
Okay, I've investigated with gpxpatch. It appears that you can accelerate time in the Friday session, but not the Saturday session. Is that right? The pressing 9 thing was exactly what I wanted though, thanks.

I'm guessing there's no way of viewing the results of a practice/qualifying/race one that session has completed? Say, after 6 championship races I wanted to view the results of Friday practice of the Australian grand prix, is this possible?

Shame about the fuel thing. So there is definitely no way that, if you have a crash on the first lap, your pit crew wont put extra fuel in when you have your unscheduled pitstop?
Date: October 05, 2010 12:56AM
Posted by: n00binio
on the fuel thing: if you enter the pits for an unscheduled stop look on your steering wheel. the amount of further stops is displayed. if the number of stops is one less than planned the game counts the current stop as the first planned stop and gives you enough fuel to reach the next planned stop. if the number of stops on your wheel is the same as you planned you get enough fuel to get to your first planned stop plus 2 laps. if a stop counts as planned or not is decided by gp4 and depends on the amount of laps left till your next stop. if you're not happy with the decision you can still alter the strategy during the pitstop

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: October 05, 2010 07:40AM
Posted by: Bruce D
I may be wrong but the yellow square you talked about is the "pit in this lap" board that appears. Normally means you're running low on fuel or it's time for your pitstop. Just press Enter (or your pit request button) to get rid of it and do another lap. I find quite often it calls you in early for your pitstop and you can actually do another lap or so. Just watch how much fuel you're using per lap before you get to your pitstop and you can judge from there.

As far as I know there is no way to view practice times once out of the session (and the only way when in the session is through GPxpatch). You can save your qualifying and race results (and fastest laps) as .txt files by printing them to file when you look at them in the menu.
Date: October 06, 2010 12:46PM
Ah of course, the yellow box is the pit in icon, thanks. I just assumed that it only existed in cockpit view, but of course if you don't like racing in that view then you need some indication of when you need to pit don't you!

Shame about the practice session time, I'm not really sure why, but a favourite part of Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 was that the session results from every warm-up/practice/qualifying/race etc. was stored in game, and you could go back and look at them any time.

One more question, but it seems that when using gpxpatch, in every practice session, cars will leave the pit straight away until there is the maximum number of cars on track that you specify in the gpxpatch options. Is there definitely no way to stop this from happening, and just have the default style of the AI cars leaving the pits during a practice session at random times, rather than in the first 30 seconds of practice session?

And there's no way that you can accelerate time for Saturday practice? (in the same way that you can use gpxpatch to accelerate tiein Friday practice)?
Date: October 06, 2010 03:53PM
Posted by: harjinator
i thouhgt you could accelerate practice sessions from the menu you get when you press Esc on the keyboard - I'll check when i next fire up GP4

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 06, 2010 04:21PM
From what I can see, if you tick "use Friday practice as qualifying" in gpxpatch, then yes, you can accelerate time in Friday practice. However, it doesn't seem to work for Saturday practice. And I've not tried it in the warm up sessions yet.
Date: October 06, 2010 07:06PM
Also, another seemingly daft question, but how do I use launch control? I have it turned on by pressing F9, but if I hold accelerate, my car still sets off when the fifth red light comes on (before the lights have gone out).
Date: October 06, 2010 09:11PM
Posted by: thestig88
unfortuantly there is no "launch control" feature in GP4 as far as I'm aware.
Date: October 07, 2010 07:36AM
Posted by: Bruce D
Ok firstly you do get the pit in icon on TV camera view and the T-cam view so thats no problem. Secondly there is launch control (this game is based on the 2001 season which had launch control). Press F9 to get the icon saying the launch control is on (I think the default is it on). Now hold down your gear change-up button and the accelerator at the same time, this will hold the revs at about 10000rpm in first gear, then when the lights go out let go of the gear change button and you have launch control.
Date: October 07, 2010 10:59AM
That's brilliant, thank you. I was doing exactly that, but I was using the brake button instead of the gear change button, which is why it wasn't working for me.
Date: October 07, 2010 01:58PM
Posted by: thestig88
well well well! you learn something new eaxh day! i did not know about that feature and ive been a regular player for over a year now!
Date: October 08, 2010 01:27AM
Posted by: noncon
Been playing since 2004 and didn't know that.

Thanks much!
KJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy