GP4central

Posted by iaquinta 
GP4central
Date: September 27, 2010 08:19PM
Posted by: iaquinta
Hey,
after being disappointed like many other and realizing that GP4 still is the best F1 simulation around I was thinking about the game, the community and some other GP4 related things.
What I really was thinking about is how the community is split. Why isnt there a central homepage where you can find all news, releases, maybe even a GP4-Wiki and whatever collected? Something like rFactorcentral. Yes, we have gp4db. We have gp4italia, we have gpgames etc.. The question is how to finance it, how to get that project starting. But first of all, what are you guys thinking about the idea?

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 08:21PM by iaquinta.
Re: GP4central
Date: September 27, 2010 08:21PM
Posted by: jucksman
I think it's a good idea. All that the GP4 community need is to work better togeher, I think...
Date: September 27, 2010 08:25PM
Posted by: kerleyf1
I like the idea too. GPG or gp4db was the best solution, I think. But Tony (b-tone) no post here since a long time....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: September 27, 2010 09:04PM
Posted by: iaquinta
To bad virtualr isnt reporting about GP4.
Date: September 27, 2010 09:15PM
Posted by: senna9194
it's a great idea:-)

My GPGSL Career
Date: September 27, 2010 09:20PM
Posted by: harjinator
grand idea... no idea how it would work though. Such a shame the downloads section of GPG died in it's old form...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 27, 2010 09:37PM
Posted by: senna9194
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> grand idea... no idea how it would work though.
> Such a shame the downloads section of GPG died in
> it's old form...

are you sure?i still can access it:-)

[old.grandprixgames.org]

My GPGSL Career
Date: September 27, 2010 09:57PM
Posted by: Gigi4
@senna9194: you can access but downloads won't work.

About the site, we can start making a gp4 wiki: up to 2gb it's free. For something like "GP4central" i don't think a free webspace will be enough. However several free webspaces could be used for file hosting (for not so big files, for example). Mods and bigger files can be hosted on rapidshare, megaupload, mediafire, speedyshare etc. like it's done on rfactorcentral.

Date: September 27, 2010 10:50PM
Posted by: harjinator
a gp4 wiki could work as a links database - potentially with screenshots and info about the mods/cars/whatever. maybe even post the readme on there, so people know how to install it...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 27, 2010 11:54PM
Posted by: Hades
iaquinta Wrote:
> To bad virtualr isnt reporting about GP4.

Any specific reason why virtualr doesn't cover GP4?

Anyway I like the idea. It would be awesome to have all in one place. :) gp4db was great but they don't update stuff anymore :(

[hades3d.blogspot.com]
Date: September 28, 2010 04:39AM
Posted by: TomMK
I would be interested in getting involved in setting something like this up.

Ideally we would need dedicated hosting for downloads but that could be expensive. If we put together a committee of 5/6 people each putting in say $5-$10 a month we could get quite a good site together.
Date: September 28, 2010 04:46AM
Posted by: mortal
If more people donated to this site it would be here.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 28, 2010 04:58AM
Posted by: TomMK
mortal Wrote:
> If more people donated to this site it would be
> here.

Completely agree mortal - but I think the best approach for a "GP4 Central" is for a small committee (with leaders of the existing GP4 sites) to form, support and fund the site independently. Not to rely on donations because, with all the other racing games out there now, this community isn't strong enough to provide the funding (maybe 6 yrs ago but not now).
Date: September 28, 2010 10:53AM
Posted by: Dahie
Hades schrieb:
> iaquinta Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > To bad virtualr isnt reporting about GP4.
>
>
> Any specific reason why virtualr doesn't cover
> GP4?

VirtualR generally doesn't report on any community news, the only exception are mod releases.
Since the GP4 community is quite slow and old, there is not much to write about which is not community-related.

I like the idea of a central modding place and I have some ideas on my own. However I'd like to stress, that rFactorCentral should not be taken as sole example, as it has very many problems. I wrote some thoughts about this a year ago:
Alternative Modding Database
Philosophy of a Modding Database
First steps on a Modding Database

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: September 28, 2010 11:43AM
Posted by: haunetal1990
great idea :)
Date: September 28, 2010 11:46AM
I was surfing for some web hosting offers:
For a GP4 wiki: [www.wikispaces.com] I think the free offer could be enough

For a "Gp4Central site": [lunarpages.serverbrowser.com] basic hosting seems enough to me

Date: September 28, 2010 12:35PM
Posted by: kerleyf1
About VirtualR, I send to them the 1992 cars images for a new GP4 1992 mod, they don't post NONE. But for rfactor the guys post some pictures.... that's our "GP4 situation".

p.s: CĂ©lio and I will release this with the guys from rfactor. We are working togheter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: September 28, 2010 01:01PM
The old downloads area is still something that Stephan has to look at, I'll mention it to him when he comes back from hols. Maybe we can get it back up and sorted out as Steve has volunteered to look after the downloads for us.
Tony's database site is really good, something like that is ideal. Why couldn't Tony's site be used?
Alternatively, If you guys can get something up and running we can probably link to it from the front page. Having a paid for site, such as this one (and this one costs a bomb each year to run) is problematic, like trying to elicit donations or having to run advertising just to keep the site up and running. The more stuff you have available, and the more members you have viewing pages, the bandwidth just keeps on going up. We have new members signing on every day here.
Anyway, the lunarhosting basic looks good too. All you have to do is raise US$55-00 and you have a site for 12 months. I'll throw in US$10 to get the ball rolling, and someone with a paypal account has to nominate as site admin and manage the fees side of it ok. If you put a paypal donate button on the page somewhere it might be possible to turn a profit and improve the site in the process. First you have to raise another $45-00 and design a site, then get it onto the search engines so you generate the traffic and get the modders to upload their work. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 28, 2010 01:08PM
If needed I have a Paypal account and would also give something (not so much, but I can). Then we can try asking other GP4 sites helpboth making and running the site.
Mortal, as a reference, what's GPG bandwidht? (I know you posted it some time ago, but I just don't remember where)

P.s. I read better prices from lunarhosting, domain is free for the first year, then it's about $19 per year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 01:10PM by Gigi4.
Date: September 28, 2010 01:11PM
I'll find out for you ok. When Stephan gets back from hols I'll ask, since we shut down the old downloads it has dropped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy