GP4central

Posted by iaquinta 
Re: GP4central
Date: September 29, 2010 01:22PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Yes, keep in mind either way you'll need a lot of bandwidth.

For example, F1Virtual's downloads are hosted in 4shared (free subscription) and downloads are about 2GB/month, while we have only 240 MB of stored files. So it's like our whole database is downloaded 9 times each month.

It would be interesting to know the amount of downloads GP4db gets to have a better idea, considering it hosts all kinds of GP4 files.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: September 29, 2010 02:01PM
Posted by: Gigi4
Prblanco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be interesting to know the amount of
> downloads GP4db gets to have a better idea,
> considering it hosts all kinds of GP4 files.

It says "2219505 Downloads" (guess from when it opened).
And only MODs page has 2.306.065 KB of files.

Date: September 29, 2010 03:42PM
Posted by: 32BOBO32
In gp4italia gold ages traffic was close to 8/9Gb each day ;)

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: September 29, 2010 04:16PM
Posted by: iaquinta
For small files its possible to use some freeusers like files.mail.ru. Maybe there is a freehoster where we could upload bigger files like csm-mods.
Date: September 29, 2010 04:17PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
32BOBO32 Wrote:
> In gp4italia gold ages traffic was close to 8/9Gb
> each day ;)

You mention GP4 Italia - could that be used for this new database?

It already gives a fantastic starting point, and the money could be well spent in

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 29, 2010 04:57PM
iaquinta Wrote:
> For small files its possible to use some freeusers
> like files.mail.ru. Maybe there is a freehoster
> where we could upload bigger files like csm-mods.

The problem is not file size (Speedyshare has 200mb limit, enough for many mods) but the fact that if the file is not downloaded for some days it gets deleted.

Date: September 29, 2010 05:47PM
Posted by: kerleyf1
I think it no problem to store in megaupload or other like this... for begining.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: September 29, 2010 07:14PM
I was thinking, if there are files that are already uploaded (like on GP4db) we could ask them to link downloads from their site, without having to reupload them.

Date: September 30, 2010 11:23AM
Posted by: haunetal1990
yes thats okay :)... but .. Who does make the Website? Who does make the Banner/texture?
Date: October 04, 2010 02:33PM
Ok guys, I've decided I want to make this project real :-)
I'm currently starting designing the site: it's obviously an early attempt, I've never made a real website and I have to study how to implement advanced features, like "sort by date" or "sort by author" for example.

You can see something here [gp4testsite.altervista.org]

Also name is provisional, you can suggest one.

At first I'll make it on free webhost, linking files from rapidshare & co., then I could buy another domain with more webspace and bandwidht, and host files there.

If anyone more talented than me (in designing, programming, advanced features) wants to help, he can contact me.

Date: October 04, 2010 02:38PM
Posted by: Buzz Hornet
Gp for it, you have my support.
Date: October 04, 2010 05:53PM
Great :P
but where is the wip site?
Date: October 04, 2010 05:54PM
Posted by: Chrische
look at gigi4's post ;)

------------------------------------------------
Loading Screens part I: [uploaded.to]
Ferrari F10 (by scratch): [www.grandprixgames.org]
Yeongam main straight bridge: [www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 06:20PM by Chrische.
Date: October 04, 2010 06:06PM
Posted by: senna9194
Chrische Wrote:
>

+1;)

haunetal1990,ther wip site is here: [gp4testsite.altervista.org]

My GPGSL Career

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 06:07PM by senna9194.
Date: October 04, 2010 08:06PM
sorry.. i mean.. WIP mod site (or tracks :) )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:07PM
Posted by: senna9194
haunetal1990 Wrote:
> sorry.. i mean.. WIP mod site (or tracks :) )

i think it will be added later;-)

My GPGSL Career
Date: October 04, 2010 10:28PM
Posted by: mortal
The template site looks good. Change Gp4 to Grand Prix 4 or GP4. Link to us, gp4db.com and the gp4 wiki page. Add a page counter, and the google analytics java script. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 08, 2010 02:18PM
Posted by: Öggo
Guys, I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think some of you really understand what you're going to face. Running such a website is very (and I say VERY;)) complicated in many aspects. It's not just a matter of getting a random server, building up the website using whatever tool comes up and updating it every now and then.
During the "golden era" of GP4Italia, we used to have a 5GB files database, kept the site updated regularly, had a discussion forum, etc. All of that had its problems: we had to purchase a dedicated server that could guarantee enough bandwitdh (NB: bandwidth, not disk space!) to handle our download/upload monthly rate, with a customer service that could take care of the eventual server problems as fast as possible and not let the website stay down for days, etc. Such a server was worth 100$ a month.
When we started, GP4Italia was subdomain of GPX.it, but when things started to get bigger than us, we had to get a professional webmaster and developer, Shecky, to have things sorted out. The site was renewed several times, updating Content Managers, creating custom controls and tools, something that us alone, as GP4 passionate, just could not have handled by ourselves.
And still, the website had to be constantly updated with news, downloads, etc. As simple as it may sound, we were 5 people doing this, because it can be very time consuming. You have to be constantly updated on what's going on, ask permissions, check out stuff is not leeched or is just worth publishing, etc.
I don't want to say you won't be able to get this going on, but I want you to know and be aware that what you're going to face will be thousand times harder than it seems, because this doesn't sound just like a simple website like my personal one is, but like a huge project. And, mortal aside, I'm not sure many of you have experience of what running a website is all about.
So, if you intend to continue with this project, that still sounds really nice, good luck and do not understimate the whole thing. :)

Date: October 08, 2010 02:45PM
Posted by: mortal
What he said, the man is right.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 08, 2010 03:09PM
Öggo Wrote:
> Guys, I don't want to sound rude, but I don't
> think some of you really understand what you're
> going to face etc. etc.

First of all, thank for your fast response.
I know, I could only imagine what running a website is. That's why, at first, the website will be just a "news" site (we won't host files on the webspace, as it will be a free one). If things will go well, we could maybe upgrade it to a file hosting website (if will have enough money). I know, it will be difficult, but I hope some other people could help me running it. If thing will go wrong, well, at least I can say I tried to do it :-).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy