New Computer and GP4

Posted by Piranha 
New Computer and GP4
Date: December 31, 2002 10:36PM
Posted by: Piranha
Happy New Year to all those on the forums,

I'm about to get a new computer and I just have a few queries about GP4.
Would there be any problems running GP4 on the following machine:

P4 2Ghz +
Windows XP
Geforce 4 MX440 (most likely)
Creative 128 sound

I have heard that Gp4 doesnt like Geforce 4 chipsets, is that true? What res and detail should i run it on??? I dont want anything to screw up a great game like Gp4! I want to make sure it runs smooth and perfect!
Re: New Computer and GP4
Date: January 01, 2003 12:15AM
Posted by: ferrariace
If you are building the computer why not go with a Amd 2000+ xp,a quick price check says you would save more then $100,depending where you shop.The cash you save could go to a better card then the gf4mx.As for problems with the gf4 cards having problems with the game I don't think so,but then again I don't have one.Gp4 likes some computers a doesn't like others but it should run pretty good on yours.
Date: January 01, 2003 12:56AM
Posted by: mortal
If you do it will more than likely be with your choice of OS, although there are a lot of users who do not have problems with XP there are of course many that do. A lot will depend on your choice of driver, both for the soundcard and video card. If you can get the geforce ti graphics card. Try the latest drivers and work back from there if you run into trouble ;-) You'll get plenty of help here sorting out yr probs. There's a lot of ppl here with similar specs, including myself but I run Win98SE. Do you know the guys in the monash engineering dept that did the formula ford car ;-) They sold me a fibreglass seat that I'm using in my cockpit simulator. Isn't the uni closed till the 20th? Anyway Happy New Year to you too and greets from Melbourne :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 01, 2003 02:40AM
Posted by: anze89
If you have AMD your computer sometimes crash because of the procesor and you lost some of your files. Thats the reason why is AMD so cheap. AMD 2000+ xp = P4 1800.

On GF4 MX440 you should get 30 frames per second or even more.

Date: January 01, 2003 03:31AM
Posted by: LarryM
Don't believe everything you read here. People have different loyalties. The AMD choice is good. I have no problems at all with this processor (knock on wood). If pcs crash it's normally faults in the software. Make sure your AGP aperture is set to optimal in Advanced Chipset (trial and error- normally 128mb is best, at least for me). Take sufficient RAM, I recommend at least 512 mb. You can see my specs below.

GP4 demands alot from the CPU, so if GP4 is why you want to upgrade, you are making the right choice when you go for a more powerful processor. Acepaint is right in as much as a better graphics card will give you much more. When I overclock my Ge3Ti200 I get a boost in performance in GP4.

I run at 1248x1024 16bit, I have all the goodies on full, including bump mapping, and dynamic environmental mapping. The game runs at fps 35. It is worth manually calibrating and then dropping the recommended fps by 2. You should not set fps too high, because A) you wont't notice the difference if it's over 30 and B) GP4 is designed to keep the game running smoothly. This measn it continues to run smoothly when the CPU is over occupied. This means instead of jerky movements in fps, the pc sloooooows doooown everything. Your controller will react with a half second delay and the game is unplayable.

Good luck with the shopping.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 01, 2003 03:56AM
Posted by: LarryM
One more thing. When you manually calibrate the graphics (as I just did) and test, the game gives a recommened fps. This may be as much as 10 fps too low. Repeat the test and use the second result as a guide.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 01, 2003 04:11AM
From [www.theinquirer.net]

''Microsoft admits Win XP DirectX problems on AMD platforms

AMD-specific code a right mess

By Paul Hales

MICROSOFT HAS IDENTIFIED a problem with running DirectX 8.1 on AMD processor-based systems.
Some DirectX 8.1 programs may simply stop working on AMD PCs, says the Vole, and it has come up with a patch to fix the problem.

The problem applies to DirectX programs running under Windows XP on AMD platforms. Intel processors are unaffected, the posting on Microsoft's support site here says.

According to the posting, "the DrawIndexedPrimitive function stops working without displaying an error or debug message". Microsoft fesses up and says the error occurs because of "a code error in the AMD-specific optimized code. This code error may lead to heap corruption," it says.

So Microsoft, not AMD, messed up, in case you were wondering.

To fix the problem you'll have to call Microsoft.

One thing we're always fascinated by is the fact that Microsoft charges you around £35 per question, when you call them up. Yet, "in special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem".

So, if you run across a problem the Vole is unaware of, it'll charge you for asking about it. Or, even if Microsoft is aware of the problem, unless it has already posted a fix, it'll still charge you for asking about it.

So, if for example, you'd called up last month to ask why your DirectX 8.1 game wasn't working on your Athlon XP machine, Microsoft may well have replied, "We don't know sir. That'll be £35 please."

Now, if you call up they'll say: "yes we've fixed that, sir. If you promise to be a good boy and only ring us after we've fixed things we'll let you off the £35 this time."

How will you know before you make the call whether you'll get charged on not? Er. We dunno either. Please send your £35 to the usual INQUIRER address.''

Date: January 01, 2003 04:12AM
From [www.computing.net]

I am having problems overclocking my AMD 2200+ under XP. I have ABIT KX7-333(R)mobo with the system. The CPU is still locked, so I changed the FSB instead from the default 133 to a moderate 140. However, now when I bootup and before the Window XP loading screen is displayed, XP gives my an error saying that my system configureation is corrupt. It says it can be corrected if insert the XP cd and hit repair. I have done this but it only changes the error to the blue screen of death before the Windows load screen and still says "Bad_System_Config_Info." If i change the FSB back to 133 it wont give me this error and boots normally. Do you know of any way this can be corrected?

Date: January 01, 2003 04:14AM
Windows 98SE: Problems with USB/VIA/AMD
Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices that are plugged in to a computer may not work if the following configuration:

Windows 98 Second Edition (Win98SE)

AMD-Processor 350MHz or higher (e.g. AMD K6-2, AMD K6-III)

Mainboard with VIA-Chipset (e.g. HOT-591P, HOT-597)

This behavior occurs because there is a timing-specific problem in the Universal Host Controller criver (Uhcd.sys), which may prevent USB devices from enumerating under specific timing conditions.

Date: January 01, 2003 05:12AM
Posted by: dnf
I'm running GP4 on a P4 1.4Ghz with 256mb ram and a GeForce 2 MMX graphics card. It works fine on 1027x768 resolution and all the graphics options on high or full. The frame rate is set at 18. At times it slows done but it is barely noticeable, so this new PC of your should run it fine i think.

Q*GO NICK HEIDFELD!!!*Q
Date: January 01, 2003 05:12AM
Posted by: Timm
But they are all nothing to do with AMD.

It's the supporting cast letting down the Great AMD Xmas Panto production

Date: January 01, 2003 06:15AM
Posted by: Keithb
Can't see why you would possibly want to overclock a 2200 processor anyway.
Date: January 01, 2003 09:39AM
Posted by: Glyn
Can't see why you would possibly want to overclock a 2200 processor anyway.

Speed, speed :D

Date: January 01, 2003 11:31AM
Posted by: Keithb
Oh, so a 2200 isn't fast enough?
Date: January 02, 2003 09:48AM
No home PC in the world is fast enough at the moment, have you played Doom 3? Nuff said :)

Date: January 04, 2003 06:00PM
Posted by: djlethal
hi damian.

I have a P4 1.8+ Ghz, 256 Mb, geforce 2 MX400, 64 Mb and my game run very poor under 640x800 and 14 fps.
CAn you give me some advice?
I got directx 9
and the lastest drivers from nvidia.

I dont know what to do!
Date: January 04, 2003 11:58PM
Posted by: mortal
dilethal, do a forum search for the "superfast gp4" thread by nuno espadinha, there is valuable tweaking info in the thread. Also make sure ALL apps are closed, use Enditall or similar.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 08, 2003 02:04AM
Posted by: AliMurray
Regardless of the source of the problem, having had several Intel PCs and one AMD, the AMD gave me nothing but trouble - it took months to find the right utilities to get it working right with GP3 (when i first bought it) and needed the VIA AGP 4in1 fix.

It was then OK for a year or two, then starting hanging and crashing, and no amount of re-installing or different OS's would stop it.

My new 2.5g P4 from PCWorlds is a great PC with all the trimmings- only £800, or £30 per month over 3 years.

Again, just my own experiences, but my advice would be:

If you want a quiet life, buy Intel.

Ali
Date: January 08, 2003 12:45PM
or £30 per month over 3 years.

Doesnt that mean that by the time youve finished paying for it you have a stoneage PC?

Date: January 08, 2003 12:57PM
Posted by: simonsteele
i thought that myself Neil, but there ya go

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy