New Computer and GP4

Posted by Piranha 
Re: New Computer and GP4
Date: January 09, 2003 12:43PM
Posted by: Glyn
Thats PC World's logic. They sell you a crap computer, and make you pay for it until its past its best a year ago. Then, you buy another one from them, and wonder why your PCW computer falls to bits, and your mates Vale or Dell is built better than a stone truck, full of stone.

Date: January 09, 2003 01:27PM
Posted by: Orpheus
Thats PC World's logic. They sell you a crap computer, and make you pay for it until its past its best a year ago. Then, you buy another one from them, and wonder why your PCW computer falls to bits, and your mates Vale or Dell is built better than a stone truck, full of stone.

been there done that. thank god for DELL. they are super reliable ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 09, 2003 02:24PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I'm getting mine custom built by a local computer shop down the road. He's a tad expensive (about 5% extra on PC world), but he gives you exactly what you want. No crappy software or anything, and the service he gives in excellent. I think it's worth the extra. In a fortnight I should have a :

P4 2.4
GF4 Ti4600
512Mb SD Ram
Windows 98SE (I could have XP for the same price, but 98 works best with GP4)

He's also going to network the new one and thjis one together for free.

Does GP4 work well over a network btw!!

P.S. i'd always have a Pentium, but my friend uses Athlon and he's had no problems whatsoever

Date: January 09, 2003 03:44PM
Posted by: Zcott
XP works better for me with GP4. Also, you should maybe go for DDR RAM, it's faster and much better!

Also: Athlons are much more fun!

Date: January 09, 2003 04:55PM
Posted by: shmall
Quote:

"Author: Anze Roblek
Date: 01-01-03 09:40

If you have AMD your computer sometimes crash because of the procesor and you lost some of your files. Thats the reason why is AMD so cheap. AMD 2000+ xp = P4 1800.

On GF4 MX440 you should get 30 frames per second or even more."

do you really think that a P4 1.8 is a fast as an xp2000+??? LOL

I have a P4 2.8 @3.250 with a Ti4600 and only score 25 3Dmarks more than my mate with an xp2200+ @2.0Ghz both using Ti4600's......

plus I have had more problems with my P4 system than I ever had with my AMD system's.

As soon as the xp3000+ comes out and will be moving back to AMD.

Don't underestimate AMD or over estimate Intel, AMD make very good/fast cpu's.......

Simon.
Date: January 09, 2003 05:35PM
Posted by: Vader
Don't underestimate AMD or over estimate Intel, AMD make very good/fast cpu's.......

Simon Mallett, AMD (CEO)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 09, 2003 06:42PM
Posted by: Zcott
Never had any trouble since switching from Intel to Athlon, via Duron. Faster and more powerful. But that's the thing with computers - if you know what you're doing, they don't go wrong. Computers don't break themselves, honestly!

Date: January 09, 2003 10:03PM
Posted by: Piranha
Okay here are my actual specs now that i have my computer:

P4 2.4Ghz 533mhz FSB
Gigabyte 845E Mboard with onboard sound
Winfast Geforce 4 Mx460 vivo
256MB Ram
Win XP
30 GB HD
40x CD ROM
CD-RW USB external drive

I think there shouldn't be any problems with it. But GP3 doesn't support my vid card so i have to play it in software :( Any solutions?? I tried it but i ran really slow even though the PO was 30%!! Please help!
Date: January 10, 2003 01:17AM
Posted by: Vader
Drive faster

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 10, 2003 02:53AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Shouldn't have any trouble. With that gfx card you'll get around 30fps. I have a mx440 gf4 and I get 26fps.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 10, 2003 09:09AM
The DDR ram the man who's making my system uses is apparently on 5% better than SD ram (so 50mb on a 512MB chip) but 3x as expensive!! I don't know how to verify this. I go onto a website but there's loads of types of DDR and SD ram!

Help!

Date: January 10, 2003 09:27AM
Posted by: AliMurray
Sorry to be pedantic, but 5% of 512 is 25 not 50!!

Ali
Date: January 10, 2003 11:14AM
!!! :D

I'm tired, I just had a 2hr History and 2hr Geography Mock GCSE mock exam today! Not looking forward to the maths!!! :D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy