GPG SuperLeague - S4 Over! WDC Matt Houston! WCC Velox! Season 5 Vacancies. JOIN NOW!!

Posted by GPGSL 
Rule Announcement – Changes for Season 5

First of all, thank you all for contributing to the new rules. The rules aren’t only made by us, but by you too. Your discussions in the thread have been very useful and have given us insights in how you look at it from your perspectives. We’ve used these opinions to create and/or tweak rules.

There were two clear problems that have been defined throughout the discussions. Those were:
a) The lower teams have too small a chance of winning
b) The testers can’t get into the series

First we’ll be looking at problem A. Before we go to the solution, first a little background on how perfs work. You have the teams perf and the drivers perf. The teams perf and the drivers perf go into some formula that I don’t know, and the outcome of that is the actual performance of a car in the race.
The team perf weighs the heaviest in this formula. However, the driver perf has the so called variance. The greater the variance, the greater the fluctuation from your actual perf can be. So in short, the variance is nothing more than a randomness factor.
That leaves us with two options for solving problem A. Crank up the variance to get more randomness while keeping the perfs the same, or keep the variance the same and get the perfs closer together. We chose for the latter.
We’ll do this with two new rules:
- Drivers perfs will be closer at the start of the season
- Points for teams will be divided by 6 instead of 4
- Drivers will get two more boosts
As you can see, we’ll be doing one thing at the start of the season and two things that will have effects throughout the season.

At the start of the season the driver perfs will be closer together. At the start of this season, the highest and lowest perf were separated by 60 points. At the start of season 5, this will be less. How much less has still to be decided.

This season the team points are divided by 4 to get the extra BHP a team will get. Next season the points will be divided by 6. We’re effectively making the BHP gains smaller by a third. This will keep teams closer together throughout the season which will result in more teams having a chance to win the race.

Drivers will have two extra driver boosts in Season 5. This will allow for more team-driver boost combos so smaller teams can still make the jump to the front of the field.

Now we’ll look at problem B. Testers can’t get into the series. Cause: there are no available race seats. We’ll be freeing up race seats in two ways. The first is a more strict activity penalty system. Instead of every 14 days, activity will be checked every 10 days. Now it’s a three-strike-out system. This will change. If a racer gets his second warning, he’ll be demoted to a testing role. It’s up to the team boss to decide which tester he’ll promote. The perf penalties for inactivity (20 perf points) will stay the same.
Side note, the poll on this issue had a 100% yes outcome.

Now we’ll arrive at the most controversial part of the new rules. The roles of team bosses who are also drivers. As of Season 5, team bosses will no longer be allowed to race. They, however, can still test for any team they want. This leaves racing team owners with two options:
- Keep racing. The consequence is that they’ll have to sell their team.
- Keep their team. The consequence is that they’ll have to give up their racing role.

We know some people will not be happy with this. The outcome of the poll was that 18 people said that we should keep everything the same, 8 people said we should ban team bosses from driving altogether and 9 people said we should only ban them from racing. So, there would be 17 people supporting banning team bosses from racing roles. And yes, that still isn’t the majority, but we felt that in the long term benefit of the series, this rule is needed. There’s been a lot of discussion in the thread and most of the people have shown their opinion about it and so have GPGSLRS members, so going into detail here would only be repeating what has already been said. In short, this will free up racing seats so testers can get in. It’s been said that the role of being just a teamboss is rather boring. As has been promised, we’ll look into making this role more exiting. Suggestions for this are always welcome and will be looked at and will be discussed.
Because not all the testers can get a race seat, we’ll feature a few races for them throughout the season. These races will count for the championship. Races will be held at the Race Director’s discretion, so we cannot promise anything on the number of races or their dates.

So this is it. The new rules for Season 5. We hope you can work with this and they satisfy you. We also hope you’ll have enough time to find solutions if these new rules bring problems to your position in this series. We really hope you can solve these problems, we don’t want to force people out of the series. We want to keep everybody aboard and sometimes rules that aren’t popular with everybody will have to be implemented to make that happen. Just remember that these rules have been created for the greater good and will affect everybody, also GPGSLRS members. For instance, I – Nickv – have am a racing team boss myself, so I’ll also have to start thinking on what to do next. I know though that other people are eager to share in this fun and I can’t keep them out because I want something.

Thanks for your attention
Nickv – GPGSLRS

PS:

Here are the other outcomes of the polls.

Change the activity penalties to: - one warning: only the 20pt penalty - two warnings: 20pt penalty + if a racer, demoted to tester - three warnings: out of series (17YES100%)
Change helmet shape (22-13 NO)
Perf reset (18-15 NO)
Limit driver changes (23-9 NO)
Test drivers race limited events (18-18)
Team owners drive own cars (15-15)
Team owners banned from driving (18 NO, 8 YES, 9 test only)
Force driver market (22-11 NO)
Remove team boost, in favour of two driver boost (19-14 NO)

Sounds good enough. I still maintain the best solution would be ban them all together. But, I suppose this way allows team owners to step in as test drivers at their team if they need to fill up the numbers.

Yeah, rules are good.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
OK, TSS need to find at least 1 new driver, then.

I better get on with painting new the new, ultra awesome Phoenix S5 livery, then :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
msater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, TSS need to find at least 1 new driver, then.
>
>
> I better get on with painting new the new, ultra
> awesome Phoenix S5 livery, then :)

why?the one we have took us in the midfield after a bad s3.why should we change it?will you paint it,or will i paint it?

My GPGSL Career
Good to finally have some clarificatie.

I have one question though, what about the teams waiting list, will the people on that list be asked if they want to own a team or race and then stay or be removed from that list or do the rules get into play there and someone who's selling a team asks the first guy on the list if he want to own a team and then go through that list till he finds someone who wants to give up his race seat for that team?

the new rules are quite good imo, i'm eager to see how they work out next season

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
We haven't really talked about that yet. But I think the best is to see if there are any teams that will be sold. If yes, then the first on the waiting list will be asked if he wants to buy one of the teams. If he wants to stay a driver, we'll go to the second one etc.
I like the rule changes..!

Race starts: 141 | Points: 886 | Podiums: 35 | Race wins: 10

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
Seems good to me

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
ANNOUNCMENT

After winning the second race of the RGFR Championship, Nathan McGregor is reported to be activly looking for a race seat in Season 5 of the GPGSL.

When questioned yesterday Nathan had this to say.

"Not being competitive in the testing rankings this year is not ideal but I think that's more down to the car than my driving. With the cars becoming closer in performance next season and a number of seats opening up, I am quite confident that there can be a spot in the series for me. My last outing in the RGFR Championchip produced a good win for me and with a full year of the GPGSL now under my belt I feel I am ready to step up. It's just a matter of wait and see if a team wants to pick me up and I hope theres a team out there that is willing to take a chance because I know I can repay them with results next year."

We will continue to follow this story through out the off season and lets just hope this young exciting driver from Down Under can get a seat into next years championship.

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2010 09:17AM by Macca25.
Great post on the new rules Nick. Thank you very much for that. My apologies everyone, it's been a full on hectic weekend here and I've had no chance to upload the FP at Sepang.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Can we have some clarification about selling teams?

Can we sell the team to anyone, or do they have to be on the waiting list?

X (@ed24f1)
Team sales:
The team must be offered to the first person on the wait list. If the first person on the wait list is already a race driver, they would of course have to make a choice between giving up their race seat to accept the team, or bypass the offer and retain their race seat. If the offer is bypassed, the team is then offered to the next person on the wait list. If first on the wait list is currently a test driver, they can of course accept the team if they wish to do so.
We will be editing the rules on P1 to reflect the changes made for Season 5, these things take time and we'll get around to it sooner or later, but for now I think everyone has got the idea of what's happening. Thanks again to everyone for taking part in the discussions.
Free Practice Sepang is up on P122. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
OK, i thought there might be a change to this rule considering the rule changes.

X (@ed24f1)
that all seems fair

not a bad fp.at least kevin arrived to points.

My GPGSL Career
GPGSL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now we’ll arrive at the most controversial part
> of the new rules. The roles of team bosses who are
> also drivers. As of Season 5, team bosses will no
> longer be allowed to race.

I don't agree really much on it.it's always their own team and they should choose to be race drivers for their team.I know how much boring is to be testdriver,but it's always a starting point to get into race(like me.tester in s3 race driver in s4).

My GPGSL Career
We are well aware of the fact that the rules cannot please everyone. However, you all had a say via the poll that was launched, also everyone was given the opportunity to voice their opinions. As of now, the new rules for Season 5 have been decided. I'm sure you are well aware of how hard it is for a test driver to get into a race seat, particularly as you have been a test driver yourself. We made every effort to try and make the series better for those that have chosen to be a part of it, and the decision regarding team ownership has directly affected a member of the GPGSL. He chose to cast his vote in favour of the change because he foresaw the long term benefit for everyone else, even though it meant giving up his race seat in his own team. I am next on the wait list for a team, and I've already stated that I will give up my race seat and draft a test driver. A team owner can still test drive, and for any team, that's not so bad really.
The problem we have is quite plain to see, we have a popular league, and there are a lot of people wanting to participate, so should we leave some of those people languishing out of the limelight because the way we run things locks them out of a chance, or do we bite the bullet and make some radical changes that some may not like, but ultimately will benefit everyone as it ensures the longevity of the series. That is the 'why' of what we have done.
It's only a game, but some of you participate in the spirit of how it is meant to be, and that makes it a good thing for all of us, and for us that actually run it and makes the decisions on how we do it, to see others having a chance at climbing the league tables, even if it's only for one season, makes it all worthwhile. :-)

I think at this stage it would be fair to say that the Sepang qualy and race will be on later in the week, Marko is away for a couple of weeks and Stu and myself have had exceptionally busy weekends. We might have to postpone Sepang for a few days and that will put us out of kilter a bit. Having guest RD's that could step up and run an event at short notice would be a good thing.

Practice was good, 3rd and 6th again. We seem to like that position in practice :) Well done guys.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
I understand that the first person on the reserve teams list gets a choice of if they wont to race or be a team manager and I understand that if they want to stay as a driver then the next team gets that choice, but what I don't understand is if they decide they want to stay as a driver, does their team then stay at the top of the list of reserve teams, does it fall to the bottom of the list or does it get removered from the list altogether?

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy