Ask Geoff

Posted by mortal 
Re: Ask Geoff
Date: December 24, 2009 10:18AM
Posted by: Zero Wolf
I apologize, in last post from me i was replaying to madotter not moderator.
Date: December 24, 2009 11:01AM
Posted by: mortal
That's an easy typo, the keys are like....so close to each other. ;)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 24, 2009 11:14AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Yeah... that reminds me of a bloke who once said - thinking he was funny - that his dick went all the way from A to Z on his keyboard ;)
Date: December 24, 2009 04:01PM
Posted by: mangrove
I once played NBA2k10 in psp and the graphics is so kiddie like. Then I installed the same game in PC (you have to have a high end rig for this) and it is so ultra realistic . If F1 Codemasters in psp is just as kiddie like, then there's hope that their game in PC platform will be different.
Date: December 25, 2009 12:59AM
Posted by: mangrove
I mean gameplay and graphics....
Date: February 14, 2010 07:33PM
Posted by: jawwad01
-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 05:59AM by jawwad01.
Date: February 14, 2010 08:11PM
Posted by: Atticus.
What... Is... The... Name... Of this religion?!

*Completeley shocked and speechless*
Date: February 14, 2010 08:15PM
Posted by: senna9194
Atticus. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What... Is... The... Name... Of this religion?!
>
> *Completeley shocked and speechless*

his religion is:

1-jewish or
2-muslim or
3-something else

edit:he's from pakistan,so i guess muslim

My GPGSL Career

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 08:19PM by senna9194.
Date: February 14, 2010 08:30PM
-

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 05:58AM by jawwad01.
Date: February 14, 2010 09:39PM
Posted by: shep34
WTF??????!!!!!!!!
Date: February 14, 2010 10:39PM
WTF??????!!!!!!!!

Is that the best response that can be elicited from you? Seriously, it displays an acute lack of grey cells between the ears if that is the best that you can do. Here is a guy at odds with himself, a personal quandary with his desire to enjoy the game without offending himself and to a lesser degree perhaps, his choice of God.
Unequivocally, and without reservation, I will state for you that once you obtain your legal copies of GP4, have no qualms about modding it. The situation with the majority of games is that it is a given that they will be updated by user content. Game developers are now well aware of this fact.
You will no doubt have heard of the many games, Rfactor for one, which for the most part is reliant on the user content.
Keep in mind that the developers of GP4 no longer exist as such, the companies having been wound up and assimilated into other companies as entirely different entities. Considering that fact, how can the 'agreement' between the company and the user have any legal relevance? Be assured it cannot. Not one person in the history of GP4, and I add many other games, has been taken to task for modifying a developers content. The reason for this is blatantly obvious if you consider it carefully. Were the game to remain as is, in it's vanilla state, and there were no free modifications available, would sales still occur? Would this site be here for you to post your personally vexing question? I think the answer to both of those questions is obvious. :-)
In truth, game developers welcome the input and the after market creations of its users, as it breathes new life into their products, and keeps the communities active. It creates an ongoing market for future versions, and it makes the developers sit up and take notice of the desires of the consumers for future versions.
Jobs have been won with gaming manufacturers, by users who have created 'after market' work for gaming products. Therefore one can assume that the development of the after market modifications to the product was a 'win win' situation all round, not only for the game developer, but for all the users of the product as well.
Geoff Crammond has resigned himself to the fact that users of his creation have changed it irrevocably, he knows that they have worked hard to drag it, sometimes metaphorically 'kicking and screaming' into our future, the future that this community, and others around the world see for F1 gaming. We have our own GP4 legends now, members of this very site, and we are proud of their achievements, just as we are proud of Geoff's achievement. If we were not, we would not be here would we?
Geoff Crammond will make no more F1 simulators, that is a well known fact, so, in truth, you and I, and the rest of this community, keep GP4 alive today.
So, in summing up, I will say again, have no qualms or personal fears about using some of the many modifications available for GP4, they were made for you, they were made for the future of the game we all love and enjoy so much. Although, for the most part, my argument could be seen as altruistic, and perhaps fails to resolve your personal dilemma. Ultimately, the final choice is yours, as is everything. It's all about choices. I sincerely hope that I have offered you a reasonable explanation and point of view that is relevant to this site and today's modern world.
Peace. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 14, 2010 10:46PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Even if I truly think this thread in the way it goes is pointless, I would just bring some arguments here.

Well, first Micro Prose and Simergy, the 2 studios who developped Grand Prix 4 have vanished, they've got dismantled and no more exist. Thus if they wanted to claim anything and amongst anything, rights over material, it's a bit late as their entity doesn't exist anymore.
Only Infogrames is still around but Infogrames is the editor. It means it has rights over the name of the game and nobody could create a Grand Prix 5 game and distribute it for commercial purpose without asking Infogrames. As it's clearly not our goal to distribute a new game we don't have to deal with it.

Anyway I'm not a lawyer and maybe some of the material is still the intellectual property of someone around.
In this case, it means we can't use use original game material for any money profiting action. Community has always share all its stuff for free and moreover quite never distribute any original material but its own created content which has no property rights but those of its new author.

So I really can't see what infringement to any rights or any creator you could attempt by modding this game.
If I had doubts myself within first years where studios were alive and some DLC could be brought by original creators, there's no reason now to ask more question than needed.

PS : Nice one mortal, you post yours during the time I was writing mine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 10:50PM by Lo2k.
Date: February 15, 2010 12:32AM
I just had a message from a user here, who pointed out that Zaz Tools CSM restores GP4 to it's original state, a moot point I know as gpx_patch and the no_cd is another set of modifications that are required to run CSM, and the returned state is not realistically an original state either. Just another thought to throw into the mix.

Date: February 15, 2010 12:33AM
Posted by: auscain
Hello guys,

Thank you for dealing with this.

Also I would like to put out there a request for helping me find an original or a used copy of GP4 so I can post it to the dude.

12 months ago I accidentally broke the disk of my original copy of GP4. About four years prior to that I found a used copy in a gaming store and gave it to a friend. He never really had the time to get into it and I had to ask for it back. He is a good friend and the gift was replaced, for him.
It was in the original box with the original Manual in perfect condition, I realized that I had kept the used copy just in case there was any problem with it and gave him my original. Anyway it was returned to me and greatly appreciated.

Jawwad01 I have an original (But now used) copy of GP3 that I am willing to part with.

Peace is bliss,

G
Date: February 15, 2010 01:10AM
Wanting your own original copies of the games is very noble, to say the least. :-) Here on this site we prefer users to have an original copy, then if and when they run into difficulties, we can help them as we know what they have on their system. Pirated copies can come with all sorts of rubbish included and that can make things difficult at the best of times.
Recently a user posted on-site an ebay link which had what was obviously a pirated copy of GP4 modded to 2009, work created for free for the community being sold for personal gain. Work that was used without permission, which would not have been given for such a circumstance anyway. Numerous reports were sent to ebay, resulting in the subsequent removal of the item from the site. We are watching. :-)
Being in Pakistan can also make it difficult for you to get something sent from ebay, as many sellers have blacklisted a lot of countries, I'm not saying that Pakistan is blocked per se but many counties are blocked, particularly African for example.

Date: February 15, 2010 01:29AM
Posted by: Cyberacer
Here's my opinion, given through an example:

Consider you buy a new car.
In the beggining it is identical with any other one (same model) that is sold by the manufacturer.
As you start to use it you start adding things, you start modding it.
Some of these "things" can be removed, like the seat covers (and bring the seats to the original state)
but most are permanent, like a new radioCD that replaced "for ever" the original one.
The manufacturer has not a single problem with all these, since you don't build and sell copies of your car.
There is also not a single problem if you "inform" other users of the same car model, about your modifications in detail and they decide to use some or all of them on their cars.

So, why should there be a problem when we do all the above to the car model named "GP4" ?

;-)

Date: February 15, 2010 02:54AM
mortal Wrote:

> Is that the best response that can be elicited
> from you? Seriously, it displays an acute lack of
> grey cells between the ears if that is the best
> that you can do. Here is a guy at odds with
> himself, a personal quandary with his desire to
> enjoy the game without offending himself and to a
> lesser degree perhaps, his choice of God.

At the time of the morning I wrote my "wtf???", yes, that was the best I could do! I began reading jawwad01's post and wondered what the hell was going on in this post? Half awake, I failed to make any form of sense out of what was being said, and with the mention of God and a computer game, confusion entered my weary head.
I humbly and whole heartedly retract my remark, and apologise!
One should never post when 1/2 asleep.... :-)
Date: February 15, 2010 03:42AM
Thank-you, your apology is accepted, although more for Jawwad than myself ok. :-) I've often though that one should engage the brain before attacking the keyboard. :-)
Cyberracer, that too is a good argument. Although when you purchase your new car, you do not sign a disclaimer. :-)

Date: February 15, 2010 05:11AM
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank-you, your apology is accepted, although more
> for Jawwad than myself ok. :-) I've often though
> that one should engage the brain before attacking
> the keyboard. :-)
> Cyberracer, that too is a good argument. Although
> when you purchase your new car, you do not sign a
> disclaimer. :-)

I checked this topic this morning, assuming it was still on an "Ask Geoff Crammond stuff" thread, and what I read had me totally stumped and confused! A very good reason why, normally, I always read through the previous page or so, to get myself back up to speed with what is being discussed....
Actually, I blame NASCAR for my earlier post - i was watching the Daytona 500 at the time of posting.....LOL! Stupid round-in-circles racing! LOL
Date: February 15, 2010 06:14AM
-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 05:25AM by jawwad01.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy