This Game

Posted by dude 
This Game
Date: September 21, 2002 12:40PM
Posted by: dude
Sucks. I cannot believe how buggy it is, after waiting all this time for the US version.

My framerate is crap with more than two or three other cars in the picture. The feel is crap. The graphics are crap. The sound is crap. This should not be. My machine is:

Asus P4T-E
P4 2.0a
1 Gig PC800 RDRAM (but limited to 512 for Win98se)
GeForce3 Ti500
Adaptec 3400S RAID controller with (2) 15K Seagate Cheetahs striped

Grand Prix Legends kills this game in every way and runs like a champ on a P3 600.

I wish I had pirated this game instead of buying it (first day available, after months of waiting), so I could find out that it is crap without having to spend money on it.

Incredibly disappointing
Re: This Game
Date: September 21, 2002 12:45PM
Posted by: Glyn
Point no.1: Before buying the game, maybe you should of found out a little about it first.

Point no.2: Can you explain in more detail The feel is crap. The graphics are crap. The sound is crap.?

Date: September 21, 2002 12:49PM
Posted by: CWM

Its wor fine for me now :D

after little fix :)

have you uppdate your sound and graphics ?

but GeForce3 should work.

I have GeForce2 mx 200

Move Ferarri Here Toyota is coming!
Date: September 21, 2002 02:21PM
Posted by: Lilletto
Wait for the upcoming patch dude, it should solve many issues (hopefully).
As for framerate there must be something wrong with your configuration, here with AMD 2000+ and GeForce 4 I have 37 fps at start under rain and antialiased.
Did you try the graphic calibration at least twice? (first time it returns a crappy value).
For the crappy feeling, its been more or less the same since GP2, so if you liked it you should not "feel" gp4 like crap.

Date: September 21, 2002 09:25PM
I knew you were British before I even looked at your domain.

Here's the deal;

Point #1 - You need to learn proper grammar. You should HAVE written that I 'should HAVE' found out about it first. Maybe you're right - I should HAVE checked out what people who were using it in the jolly old UK were saying instead of reading what the developers had to say about it. They claimed the graphics engine was going to be much improved over GP3. I purchased GP2, GP3, and GP4. This one is disappointing and it's buggy as Hell.

My machine's performance is awesome with every single application I have thrown at it, except this one. 39 fps is disappointing when I get like 90 in Quake 3. And framerate is subjective, since this game slows down the game action to keep a decent framerate. My PC is absolute top-of-the-line in every way, and there is no excuse for GP4 to perform the way it does (and for the menus to be buggy). All I can say is every other game runs perfectly on it, and it is not a configuration issue. To be required to upgrade to a GeForce 4 just to play this game is ridiculous.

Point #2 - The feel IS crap. It has less feel than GP3 or GPL. I have a Thomas steering wheel. This game feels like a bad arcade game, not a sim. See above for my rationale on the graphics. I have an Audigy sound card, and run a Harman-Kardon amp in Dolby Pro Logic out the front channels through a Bose Acoustimass speaker system as well as EAX rears. Although the engine sound is good, the sound levels are inconsistent. All my drivers are latest rev.

All I can imainge is that you have low standards. I , for one, expected better out of this stuio and software architect. What I have read in this forum leads me to believe I am not alone in being disappointed in what they have turned out, and that they have not fixed it after all this time.

Enjoy your tea
Date: September 21, 2002 11:00PM
Posted by: Larry
What is this, some kind of parody?

Date: September 22, 2002 01:51AM
Posted by: anze89
My machine's performance is awesome with every single application I have thrown at it, except this one. 39 fps is disappointing when I get like 90 in Quake 3.

39 fps is disappointing? I don't think so. I've got GeForce 4 4200 titanium(128mb ram), and I've get 32 fps, with evrything on except heat haze, and the game is amazing.

Date: September 22, 2002 02:16AM
All I can imainge is that you have low standards.

Low standards? You made me mad now. I 've don't have low standards. On my former machine I had 8 fps. Now I've got 32fps. And your grafic card is not 'top-of-the-line'. You can get GF 4 mx for litle mony. And it's bether than your GF3. Some people here are having good PC, some are having not so good PC. We must have medium standard, because we are adjusting to other people.

I think that you got too high standards. And you are too self-sufficient, that you got good PC.

Date: September 22, 2002 04:09AM
Posted by: mortal
<sigh> Here we go again.....coming on to this forum with nothing but diatribe will win you lot's of friends. If as you say you have waited for months then surely you should have been well informed by the various forums such as this one providing information on the product. To come here and shoot off at the mouth is just plain old bad manners. There's plenty of users here willing to help resolve issues you may have with config and hardware etc. GP4 will run at an acceptable fps (just) on a P2 so your system presents no real problems. If you get 37fps on your "awesome system" with everything on full res be grateful, that's the way it is. And of course if you need help you only have to ask or search, but I'm sure you knew that already, it's easier to slag off isn't it.......btw welcome to the forum ;-)
Date: September 22, 2002 04:24AM
Posted by: dave
Well said!!

Date: September 22, 2002 05:35AM
Posted by: CWM

LOL !

Move Ferarri Here Toyota is coming!
Date: September 22, 2002 06:16AM
Posted by: Ellis
Right, i will say it ONE MORE TIME (i hope it hasnt been said yet in this thread)

the programing is NOT the fault of the GPx team

It was INFOGRAMES who pushed for the release date

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: September 22, 2002 06:38AM
Posted by: shmall
The Dude wrote:
>
>
> My PC is absolute top-of-the-line
> in every way.

Take it from me mate, a P4 2.0 is no where near "Top of the line"...lol
its even slower than an AMD xp1600+......

If you had a P4 2.8Ghz or an AMD xp2600+ than you could boast about being "top of the line".

You need to drop yout fps to 30-33, thats fast enough, and feels smoother to me than most games at 90fps.....

I have an amd xp1900+ running at xp2200+ speed with a GF4 ti4600 and it runs very well indeed.......

Simon.
Date: September 22, 2002 07:21AM
Posted by: Orpheus
lol!

i just had to laugh at "the dude" with his so called Top of the range pc.

what RAM do u have? gf3 ti500 is not a geforce 4 ti 4600. i have a geforce4 ti 4600 and run the game at 32fps with everything on except heat haze. i may not overclock my cpu or graphics card but i am happy with 32 fps.just one more ques. what po do u get?

so DUDE why are you complaining about 37 fps MAN! get your ass back to mississippi.
:$

:P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: September 22, 2002 08:01AM
Posted by: Lilletto
i]My machine's performance is awesome with every single application I have thrown at it, except this one. 39 fps is disappointing when I get like 90 in Quake 3[/i]

Well QuakeIII at 90 is not that much, with a system like that he should easily be above 150.

Date: September 22, 2002 09:41AM
Posted by: Glyn
LOL 'imainge'? If you're going to start using grammer mistakes as your shite argument, at least make sure you spell correctly first you fool.

But in saying that, you are a crap speller Neil :D

Yes well - these keys things on my keyboard have a habit of all going down at the same time :)

My spleling was never very good though

Date: September 22, 2002 09:57AM
Shows how little you know. A GF4 MX is much slower than a Ti500.

You have to have a 4200, 4400, or 4600 to be faster than mine.

So kill me because I made a typo. A typo is a mistake; a grammatical error is due to ignorance.
Date: September 22, 2002 10:01AM
There are more factors to performance than CPU speed (although I seriously doubt your Athlon at that clock speed will outperform mine - it might match it in frames, perhaps).

My RDRAM offers much more memory bandwidth (hence, 3D performance) than any other memory technology.

My Ultra160 15K hard drives will absolutely destroy whatever cheap IDE solution you are using.

Bottom line, this game should perform better on a given high-end platform than it does.
Date: September 22, 2002 10:43AM
Yap. I had GF4 mx and I had 31fps with resolution 1024x768 and the same settings like now.

Don't be so smart!!

Date: September 22, 2002 10:53AM
Anze

My card is faster than a GF4 MX

The MX is a low-end solution based on the GeForce 2.

Are you just sitting there waiting to read these posts?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy