I have got a question for the shapers

Posted by Dutch_Can 
Date: February 04, 2009 12:43AM
Posted by: Dutch_Can

I do my shaping in Autodesk Maya is it possible to turn my car into subdivisions?
The polycount stays the same but can games handle these kind of cars if yes then it would be great.
Just to see what I mean I included a reference.

Re: I have got a question for the shapers
Date: February 04, 2009 10:25AM
Posted by: fongu
I don't understand what you mean - do you mean how do you divide the car objects so that it works ingame? or are you talking about the lods, the further away the car, the less heavy polied car the game uses?

Date: February 04, 2009 01:17PM
Posted by: Dutch_Can
fongu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand what you mean - do you mean how
> do you divide the car objects so that it works
> ingame? or are you talking about the lods, the
> further away the car, the less heavy polied car
> the game uses?

No no bud subdiv surfaces is another type of modeling like polygons, the reason I ask is that for some reason my cars look bloky in Maya and when I smooth them the polygons go over 200.000 but not when I use subdivision surfaces. So I don't know if GP4 is capable of handeling these kinds of shapes.

In the pic the left cube is a polygon and the right cube is a subdiv surface cube

Date: February 04, 2009 01:22PM
that's not something I'm familiar with, but maybe we can give it a try! If you export to 3ds, I can have a look in zmodeller to see how it exports to gp4format.

Date: February 04, 2009 02:30PM
Posted by: Dahie
GP4 will need triangles at the end, who you get them is your choice, you can try subdivs hasn't been done afaik. But 200k is very big even today. I mean hey, cars have more than 20k polies how, original GP4 had 2.5k so the scalability of the engine is fantastic, but you don't have to reach for the limits.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: February 04, 2009 05:10PM
Posted by: soulbringer
No game 3D engines can't handle Subdivisions, only polygons wich must be triangulated.
Date: February 04, 2009 05:23PM
You just have to try and save polies where you can, like on the rollover bar, you can take a few rows out in the middle and also the top of the nose/monocoque.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy