A too good AI ?

Posted by Lo2k 
A too good AI ?
Date: July 14, 2002 04:34PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, Hi all,

I'm new on the forum even if i follow it since a long time, but i finally decided to register as this forum is a bit more "serious" than others i know.

Well, so i wanted to tell you about a test race i did on Indianapolis where AI stupefied me.
Red lights shut down and all cars run straight away, I'm in the twelve position about. Then comes the first right corner, I didn't brake (I was testing crashs) and hit some car then follow my way without any control in straight line through grass spinning on myself, throwing road again just front of the nose of a jaguar and hit the rails. Nothing uncommon.
But I wished to look what it looks like to be in a jaguar and to see a car spinning and flying just under your nose.
So i replayed the scene in the jaguar cockpit and i could see this:
The jaguar take the first right corner and don't really saw my hit well behind it. then it comes in the left curve and...slow down and downgrade a gear without seeing nothing...then my car pass trough the road and jaguar accelerate for continuing the race.
Amazing. That means that even on grass, without control and flying and spinning and out of seeing, a car is detected by AI and every car react at this ! Really Impressive !
Maybe a bit too impressive as no real driver could avoid the crash as it happens in some dead zone for the jaguar, but it can give some details on AI quality...

Well, quite a long post for my second one, hope you find it interesting too :)

Re: A too good AI ?
Date: July 15, 2002 01:10AM
Posted by: Boils
The best thing about GP3 and 4 (I have not played the others) in my opinion is the AI, often in F1 2000 and F1 2001 my race would end prematurely because of the stupidity of the other drivers.

so far on GP4 ive have had great battles, but often when im slip streaming
the guy in front of me (useally on the home straight) he will move out to cover the inside line wich is perfectly ok but if im not side by side with him
coming up to the next corner he darts back onto the racing line

is it not an F1 rule that u can only change your line once when defending??

apart from that though the AI has been great fun and ive had duels with MS that have lasted many laps.
Date: July 15, 2002 02:55AM
Posted by: Glyn
i finally decided to register as this forum is a bit more "serious" than others i know

This forum serious? You've gotta be kiddin :)

Back on subject I know what you mean Ben about the AI in F1 2002. You just cant predict it. In GP4 I have the confidence to overtake in fast corners because I know the AI will give you room, likewise if you decide to overtake on the outside. Also, in GP4 you have the confidence to run side by side through several corners because the AI wont suddenly turn in you on so it can have the racing line. The number of times this has happened to me in F1 2002 is amazing, really spoils the game I think too.

Date: July 15, 2002 03:08AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yes, you're right, as AI even let CCcar go onto grass to avoid you if you exit too outside of a curve and yes, i think too that the "only one line change rule" is not really respected, but as in real, it's not an easy rule to apply correctly.

And i may add than I'm not such a serious guy either ;)

Date: July 15, 2002 06:18AM
Posted by: Santie
I'm not sure, but I think the "only one line change rule" is an unwritten rule established between drivers ... at least, it doesn't affect our driving style, so why should it affect the others :0))
Date: July 15, 2002 01:59PM
Posted by: Lilletto
Neil Stratton wrote:

> This forum serious? You've gotta be kiddin :)

I'll always struggle to protect this forum from becoming too serious and Neil's tag is a powerful weapon in my hand :)

> Back on subject I know what you mean Ben about the AI in F1
> 2002. You just cant predict it. In GP4 I have the confidence
> to overtake in fast corners because I know the AI will give
> you room, likewise if you decide to overtake on the outside.
> Also, in GP4 you have the confidence to run side by side
> through several corners because the AI wont suddenly turn in
> you on so it can have the racing line. The number of times
> this has happened to me in F1 2002 is amazing, really spoils
> the game I think too.
>
> No arguments please, the moon IS made of cheese

No arguments please, F1 2002 CCs are true S.O.B.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy