My EmailTo Infogrammes To Complain About GP4 (Trevor Witt Should Recognise This)

Posted by Cmspodwy 
wow, good reason. mabey u are as well

LoL

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
LOL!!

that aint a double post, the times arent different ;)

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
DeadStar Ellis wins the Spot the Irony award. Keeps the ol' eye open, I like this ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
DeadStar Ellis wins the Spot the Irony award. Keeps the ol' eye open, I like this ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
LoL!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
First of all let me applaud Trevor for taking his time to reply to our thread when many others wouldn't. Much appreciated.

Now Trevor, I agree totally with everything that you put into your review. The game is brilliant. The GPS track data is unreal. The graphics (when configured) are superb. The AI amazing. And the detail is spot on.

However, I cannot help but feel short changed by the fact that none of the rather amateurish programming short comings of the game were never illustrated in your review. And I believe I am not the only one either.

Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't PC Gamer an independent pc games reviewing body? And therefore, shouldn't it be your responsibility to the gaming public, who as long we keep buying provide the funds for your magazine, to give us a review which illustrates the good and bad of not just this but every game. Indeed, in your July 2002 edition you pan a few games for being crap (namely Simon The Sorceror 3D) so this leads me to think that you have the ability to say what is wrong with a game without fear of a backlash from a publishing house (or could this be because Adventure Soft or whoever published STS3D are not as big a corporation as Infogrames?).

You say that the review is solely yours and without influence from third parties but surely you must have been frustrated when you started the game for the first time and experienced the many bugs that our friend Morbid has been collaborating. Unless you were playing the game on a P4 2.4 Gig with GeForce 4 TI that is.

So when a game like GP4 demonstrates amazing techical abilty it should be marked for excellence and made evident to the reader, which in your review it was.

However, consequently when a game also demonstrates poor programming technique in other areas, a poor manual, absolutely ridiculously specified minimum and recommended requirements.
And about the requirements, did PC Gamer just read and copy from the GP4 box? Surely it would have been better to give the reader an idea that for a medium graphics setting and to make the game look anything like the printed screenshots the reader would need at least a 1gig PC with a GeForce Card.

It's not rocketscience really, it's just providing the reader with all the necessary information about a game. Maybe a point that you could pass on for debate to Matthew Pierce and/or Kieran Gillan?

Your score of 90% is unquestionable. The game is technically superb and furthers the genre by leaps and bounds. I would just like to feel safe in the knowledge that when I read a review of any game in PC Gamer I am getting all the information good and bad about a game.

Morbid, upon playing the game last night I came across another bug. Don't know if you have already listed it. Thanks to Cai for letting me know about the dropping the sound acceleration for extra frame rates. Top man.

Anyway, I dropped the sound to basic emulation in windows properties. Started GP4 and set the following options.

Resoultion - 800 x 600
Heat Haze - Off
Video Wall - Off

Every advanced option on highest setting apart from the following:
Mirror Detail - Cars Only
Advanced Lighting - Off

Tested the settings and got a wonderful frame rate of 41 fps. Superb.

Went back and turned advanced lighting on and with the static option selected.

Tested the settings and got a frame rate of 32 fps. Very noticeably slower.

Here's the error.

Went back and turned advanced lightin back off and retested the system.

Got a frame rate of 33 fps. Arrrrrghhhhhh! Where's my 41 fps gone.

Shut GP4 down and restarted it. Played a quickrace in monaco. Was getting easily 41 fps with no slowdown at all.

Damn that graphics auto configuration util. It's crap.

Morbid & Steve Ferris & everyone else with an interest. Can we discuss on a separate thread how we should put together some sort of a scheme to organise the distribuition of our petition and Morbids collection of errors?

I will start the thread now.
Hi everybody!

I've just bought GP4 yesterday and I am quite happy with it so far, with just few hours of playing. I did not encounter too many bugs (so far only the one with the car status not being refreshed after going into the pits following and accident), but I see you have.

I have to say that I am impressed with the trouble some people would get into with reporting bugs in a nice format so that the "development teams do not get angry". It is amazing! It is completely wrong to consider that they are doing us a favor by correcting the bugs. They will do themselves a huge favor by listening to the bloody customers or they will be out of business in no time! They should be quite clear that the competition they are facing is imense. EA's F12002 is a great game with far less bugs and with a dedicated development team for correcting bugs and adding features to the game. I am a GP fan and I have played each and every one of them since 1993 (anyone remember the original GP game?) but I just cannot buy such BS. Just stop this nonsense about fearing they will not consider correcting a bug if it is not reported in a nice and asskissing form. The reality is harsh and they should have understood this by now. So I am saying: Report your bugs, as many as you encounter and have high expectations on Simergy to correct them, otherwise they will face the inevitable. It's your right and nobody can deny it (unless you live in Cambodia or something:)).

maniak

Oh, my public! How they love me! (Looney Tunes)
Having read the GP4 review I couldn't wait to get the game. I have found a few of the bugs listed through out this thread, but can't help feeling that we're being a little harsh.

This is easily the best F1 race sim to grace our monitors, despite the bugs. I am highly confident that "Sir" Geoff "God" Crammond will not let these bugs go 'unpatched', and hope that we see something released soon.

The review by Mr Trevor Witt was outstanding and I consider him to be a resident expert on the legendry GP series, perhaps he would be interested in a small challenge, perhaps lap times around a few tracks and maybe we could see how good the person who reviews these games actually is, what do you say Mr Witt?

Yours
Spotlamp
AKA "King of the all Racing Games" :o)
I think I have a fair idea who "spotlamp" is, but sure, when I find some time to do some serious lap running (I'm moving house any day, so life is hectic enough at the mo) I'll certainly be happy to post some times/hotlap files. If Spotlamp is who I think it is though, I think most of us could be in for a pasting... But we'll see, this isn't Gran Turismo 3 you know. ;)
Cheers,
Trev.
Do we get any clues? ;-)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
No

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
btw, how do i save my reply buffer?

i done an emazing crash, i went to save the reply but couildnt :(

Save the game. And then load it, and press R for replay, and there it should be!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy