GP4 bug list *retail version only*

Posted by Morbid 
GP4 bug list *retail version only*
Date: June 20, 2002 10:35AM
Posted by: Morbid
Okay, if we want a quality patch for GP4, we better go bug hunting ASAP. Chances are that the production of patches will stop after a couple of months if not weeks, so the more bugs we find now, the less we will be stuck with later.

When you report a bug, be as clear as possible on how it shows itself, how easy it is to reproduce and how this is done, and what the effects are, and if there is a workaround. If the tech dudes have to stumble around blindly in the code, or they can't reproduce the problem, chances are that it will be discarded in a cost/benefit analysis. So the better we work now, the higher the chances of getting the bug fixed.

Do not report bugs that come from any other version than the retail version of GP4. Warez are not only illegal, they often increase the amout of bugs in a game. Be sure that you have observed the bug in the retail version, and that all the details in the report comes from the retail version

Remember that bugs can be software/hardware specific. If the bug you report is not easy for others to reproduce, be ready to supply your system configuration, OS and driver and DirectX versions.

I will try to sum up, and update the list as often as necessary. But since there is no edit function on this board, it might take a while between the updates of the list.

Happy hunting!

Bug list draft version 1.00
-----------------------------

1) Right front wheel disappears at random both for player and AI cars. Physics do respond to the missing wheel. It does not happen very often. It can happen in any game mode at any location on the track, even during pit stops. Workaround: Activate the replay function. Rewind to before the wheel disappeared and play at normal rate, and the wheel returns both in the replay and in game. Hard to reproduce.

2) When to AI cars of the same team enter the pits with in seconds of each other, they become stuck in front of the garage. The pit crew does not come to collect the cars. Hence the are stuck forever. It happens in free practice, warmup, qualify. Observed at Nürburgring. No workaround. Hard to reproduce.

3) Sometimes the pit crew will not let player/AI car go from the pit stop. The car is stuck forever. Seems not to be related to any specific track. No workaround. Hard to reproduce.

4) If the car that your point of view starts in when you enter the track is going to have a mechanical failure, then the left yellow led on the steering wheel is activated on all cars. Hence the player always knows if he will have a failure. No workaround. Hard to reproduce.

5) The slider buttons on the 2 pit stop slider in the setup screen do not work properly. Workaround: Use the slider to decrease, and decrease button to increase. Very easy to reproduce.

6) There is no popup text help for launch control in the driving aids menu. No workaround. Very easy to reproduce.

7) Zooming in vertically on the traces in the telemetry menu produces a large grey box in the lower left corner of the screen. No workaround. Very easy to reproduce.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Re: GP4 bug list *retail version only*
Date: June 20, 2002 10:42AM
Posted by: _Alex_
I have one to add.

In free practice when coming back into the pits, when you swing your car around to be pushed back in, the guys pushing the car sometimes start to push then stop in a pushing pose, with the car stationary, seemingly unable to progress any further. It is necessary to SHIFT+Q to reset the car in the pits.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 20, 2002 10:44AM
Sorry I've just gone and screwed this thread up haven't I. I foolishly missed the "retail version only" subject. Ignore the above post unless this bug is still present. The bug I reported above is warez.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 20, 2002 10:46AM
Posted by: genesis
naughty naughty Alex.
Date: June 20, 2002 10:52AM
Posted by: LS.
obviously alex has selective eye sight :-)

its the official game not the warez version that we are trying to spot the faults with mate

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 20, 2002 10:54AM
Yes but some of the bugs in the warez version behave differently or are not present at all in the official release. Why take chances and send the patchers on a wild goose chase?

Date: June 20, 2002 04:09PM
Exactly, that's why I said sorry for my mistake.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 20, 2002 04:16PM
well thats not good enough alex!!

i think you should go round to everyones house that has posted in this thread and apoloise in person.

then we may consider forgiving you :-)

LS's Tip of the week
Date: June 20, 2002 04:28PM
Posted by: genesis
I found a massive bug. I went into the garden as myself, and after turn 1, I saw a caterpillar slowly crawling down the path. Surely this should be differetn by now. I'm sure that same bug was there last year too :-)
Date: June 20, 2002 04:32PM
LOL!!!

if you download the 1.13 patch it becomes a butterfly

LS's Tip of the week
Date: June 20, 2002 05:11PM
Posted by: Mado
Strange?? My patch caused a bird to swoop down and eat the little sucker.
Date: June 21, 2002 12:20PM
Addition to 4) sometimes right yellow led is lit. Reason unknown. No workaround. Very hard to reproduce.

8) When player selects used tyres from the steering wheel the tyre menu displays the amount of laps the tyre has been used in hex-decimal. For instance 26 laps is displayed as 1a. No workaround. Very easy to reproduce.

9) The ride height and available suspension travel traces are suspect/broken. Right rear: ride height and travel seem okay. Left rear: ride height is okay, but available travel is broken. Right front ride height seems broken, but travel is broken. It can display a value of 15mm left when ride height is zero. How can ride height be zero, and furthermore how can you have 15mm available suspension travel when ride height is zero? Should the tyre go through and below the tarmac? Observed at RTL kurve @ Nürburgring. Left front ride height seems okay, but available travel is broken as it almost always shows zero/very low values regardless of ride height and packers. Telemetry problems seem localized to rife height and available suspension travel only. The rest are okay. No workaround. Very easy to reproduce. Possibly linked to next bug.

10) Crash setup level 1 and 2 menu system to gain access to unintended setup values, and to get physics engine to operate with these values. It is also possible to get the game to operate with values which are different from the values showed in the setup menu - here after named "hidden values". How to reproduce: deselect symmetrical editing. Adjust front right spring value to a higher value than the left. Go back to track and race some laps. Extract telemetry. View telemetry. Return to setup menu and select symmetrical editing. Change any value in setup menu 1 and 2 except springs. Go back to track and race some laps. Extract telemetry. View telemetry. No the menu crash should appear, although it is currently unknown if it does. If the menu is crashed it is now possible to select unintended spring settings using the slider, for instance 830 lbs. Furthermore adjust any packer, damper and front spring setting causes the game to operate with hidden values. Use the slider to increase or decrease values. Hold left mouse button depressed while does so. Now to reveal hidden value, then either return to pit options menu, and go back to setup level 1 and 2, and the hidden value is revealed, for instance packers where set to 2mm but are now 26mm. Or just select decrease value with the buttons starting with right rear or right front. If you select rear right then decrease rear left setting with buttons and hidden value is revealed. Same procedure can be applied to increase right rear/left rear and to increase/decrease right front/left front. Workaround: Deselect symmetrical editing and reselect symmetrical editing. Game will no longer use Hidden values nor will it allow unintended values. Medium/hard to reproduce.

Date: June 21, 2002 12:46PM
Update on bug 7). The bug only appears when going directly from track to fetch telemetry and the view telemetry. New workaround: Exit telemetry screen and go to setup menu level 1 and 2. Go back to telemetry viewing and bug is gone. Still very easy to reproduce.

11) After selecting and calibrating a wheel as input controller when something else was previously selected, the disable joysticks in menu option is not updated. As a consequence the selecting highlight flips around across the menu system. Workaround: Enter "Workshop", "Utilities", "Menu Setup" and the option updates itself. Very easy to reproduce.

12) Select no acceleration in sound options in at control panel. Start GP4 and let it recalibrate sound setup, and make sure that 2d and 3d sound are deselcted. After that you get a 2-10 FPS increase, which is the opposite of what should happen. Bug can be recreated in XP and WinMe, seemingly regardless of sound card and drivers. No workaround. Very easy to reproduce.

13) In the telemetry view screen, track distance is displayed in feet despite selecting Metric system in the menu setup. Might not be a bug. No workaround. Very easy to reproduce.

Date: June 21, 2002 01:12PM
14) Processor occupancy tool dramatically increases PO and the first calibration/test of graphics returns too low values. The first calibration/test of graphics in a GP4 sessions is accompanied by a access to the hard drive, while subsequent calibrations/tests are not even if values are altered. Subsequently the calibration/test of graphics returns a noticeably lower value than later test in the same session. Also keeping the "O" key depressed while running the calibration/test of graphics procedure results in a noticeably reduced recommended FPS - approx 15-20% reduction. It is hard to imagine that monitoring Processor occupancy is supposed to take up so much CPU power. No workaround, except what is mentioned above. Very easy to recreate.

Date: June 21, 2002 02:28PM
Posted by: Ellis
Ok, i have found thousands of the @#$%&, forgive me if these habve been said ebfore

15) You can drive through the garnage walls

16) the pit men often walk through the walls

17) In practice, crash on a fast lap, lose a wheel, a marshall push's you to the side, you return to the pit and the wheel isnt replaced

18) Remeber where Panis crashed in Montreal? The 100m and 150m signs at the corner after that flash and sometimes dont appear at all.

19) When you are coming into the pits, waiting to be pusghed back, if your team mate leaves the pits, he drives right through you

20) When leaving the garage in Imola, there is not enough room for the car to turn and you hit the pit wall (altho not fats enough to cause damaged)

21) The heat haze often produces odd effects that i cant really describe.

22) Digital Joypad is not regonied when game is first run. You must setup the controler, restart GP4 and then it will work

23) In XP - when installed in a NON-admin account, the game wont run or appear in the add/remove programs list. You have to go into the registry, del the appreopritae sutff, then reinstall in an admin account

These are only the ones i remember. I dont have the geam but played it for an hour or so at mates.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 21, 2002 02:30PM
extension to number 17 - the damge DOESNT stay - the graphics of the damage stay - you will have no whell but the car will act normal again.

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 21, 2002 02:34PM
24) computer cars roll right over, land on wheels and continue normally

25) This hapens alot in Imola and France, not tried other tracks. ON medium detail level the yellow Jordan blinks on the T-Cam view. The darknesss of the yellow changes alot, very suddenly, for no reason.

26) I have just been told if you hit the barrier at turn 1 at spa fats enoguh you go through it, game crahss to desktop

Date: June 21, 2002 02:37PM
27) Steering wheel on comp cars disappearing whist on trackside view

28) PO going up to 600 on trackside view for bout 3-5sec.

29) Nose on driver disappearing, only happened the once tho

I havent seen most of these, someoene is mailing me them for this forum

Date: June 21, 2002 02:39PM
30) im 100% sure turn 4 at Brazil is 100% wrong, its WAY to easy, not tight enough (eau rouge is alo flat :@)

Date: June 21, 2002 02:41PM
31) Noticeable at Austria - the "grasscreet" (green stuff outside of the kerbs) makes the car act like it is on grass, whislt Mark Blundel said it gives just as good grip as Tarmac

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy