www.m4driving.sm
Re: New Files for Grand Prix 4
Date: June 16, 2002 02:13AM
Posted by: Covfan
That is VERY good news.
Date: June 16, 2002 03:11AM
Posted by: matthewp
performance editor is excellent but shows that the game doesn't use different driving factors (i.e. good under pressure, wet weather etc...) and just uses the same system as before, failures are still random too which frankly is totally crap, in F1 2002 if you keep braking too hard they overheat and can break and the same applies if you over rev the engine both of which have warnings from the pitcrew like "cool the brakes" its a shame each game has its good points, put them together and we'd have one hell of a game, do you think glueing both of the cd's together would work :-)
Date: June 16, 2002 05:44AM
Posted by: Zcott
You can't overrev the engine in real life, though. Not possible.
Date: June 16, 2002 06:40AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
ERm you can overrev the engine in gp4, and boy do the new fire textures look good :D

Date: June 16, 2002 06:41AM
Oh, man!

I need to get this GP4.

I'm considering warezing, here. But I can't seem to find a link that works.
Date: June 16, 2002 06:42AM
You shouldn't be able to overrev the engine, though! Patrick Head said that you couldn't. Obviously you can run the temperatures so hot that the engine will just blow up, but that's not overreving it.
Date: June 16, 2002 07:32AM
Posted by: genesis
I have a link for the warez version zcott. Trust me I never usually use warez but I was desperate. Send me an e-mail if you want it: cai@f1central.net
Date: June 16, 2002 08:56AM
Posted by: Glyn
How big is the warez release?

Date: June 16, 2002 09:10AM
Posted by: Covfan
It is about 150mb.
Date: June 16, 2002 09:28AM
you can't overrev the engine now because of auto gear shifting so if you're running auto-shifting in F1 2002 your engine won't overheat, if you are shifting manually though you can overrev whether its downshifting to early or not upshifting quick enough. This is an excellent addition, I was really disapointed to see that Gp4 still uses the crappy failure system used since Gp2 (maybe gp1 I don't know) as well as only one number for driver performance
Date: June 16, 2002 09:33AM
Posted by: Morbid
", if you are shifting manually though you can overrev whether its downshifting to early or not upshifting quick enough."

This is actually crap. According to Nicki Lauda every F1 car has software that limits the ability to overrev or downshift to fast. It simply cannot be done, hence the only way you can damage your engine with driving style is staying in the same gear for extremely extended periods, or by overheating it, by staying to close behind other cars (in the slipstream/turbulence wall before slipstream) for extended periods.

So a modern F1 game that lets you damage your engine like that is nonsense, or rather non-simulator-like.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 16, 2002 10:39AM
The software in modern F1 cars that Morbid is talking about has been around for a while, now. If the software thinks that a downshift will damage the engine, it doesn't allow the downshift to happen.
Date: June 16, 2002 03:17PM
fair enough but you have to agree that the system in Gp4 of having one number determining reliability and driver speed is pretty pathetic
Date: June 16, 2002 03:36PM
Posted by: Morbid
Yeah it is not so cool with the 1 number system. Yet the new "coolness under fire" AI behaviour changes a lot of this. Try pushing a guy for some laps, threatening to overtake. If he is having a good day and is reasonably experienced, he will not mind that much. Push Yoong around and he makes mistakes galore! I have even seen JPM badgered by Rubens for 8 laps or so at Nürburgring. And JPM did NOT like it, I can tell you that! And neither did his tyres...

It works very nice, and makes the one number seed system much more dependant on what is actually going on in the perticular race.

As to the damage system, there are good points to the GPx way of doing things. Most failures come from flawed production of the components. And that is what GPx models. Nevertheless, a weak suspension will fold faster and more dramatic if you go hard on the curbs. But the car, viewed as a whole IS DESIGNED not to break down when pushed to the limit. So basing failures exlusively on drivers actions is very wrong indeed.

I see the best system as a hybrid of both. There is a seed, that determines íf there IS a flaw and what it will take to make the component break. It might have a threshold that is so low, that you will never be able to finish the race, regardless of what you do. On the other hand, it might only be a slight error that takes a major pounding to take effect. But mechanical failures that only take effect when I drive hard, with no potential flaw determined by seed, should never happen. Real F1 cars are designed to last a whole race weekend and then some.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy