Graphical Problems

Posted by F33LTH3F0RC3 
Graphical Problems
Date: March 17, 2008 06:13PM
Posted by: F33LTH3F0RC3
I have just read the FAQ about getting HIGH FPS with a LOW PO and I don't get what it means when it says;

"The original cars.wad that comes with the game has cars that are about 100-150k at LOD 0 best detail. The game plays great with this. The 2005 cars are up to 6 times bigger so if you have a low end PC it's going to cripple it. So the trick is to make a 2005 car wad that is the same size or smaller than the original cars.wad.

I downloaded 2005 cars which had lod4 detail of about 50-100k. Deleted the Lods 0-3 and replaced all lods with just the small lod4. So all cars have lod 0-4 but all lods are the same size as lod4. Some cars are just 56k on all lods, others are around 100k on every lod. It would be smaller in size than the original cars.wad if not for the textures.

By keeping the high res textures that come with the cars, the cars still look great when driving beside them. They are just bad in T-Cam view. So to drive a car at good quality, you pick which car you want to drive for the season and download that one and insert it into the cars.wad with all the lods still intact. When driving with that car, the game will appear as normal. Your car will be the good all lod detail car and all the other cars will look just as good on the track but will only be about a 5th to 10th of the size so won't slow the game down."

Surely you cannot just delete Lod's 0 - 4?
Re: Graphical Problems
Date: March 17, 2008 06:26PM
Posted by: vesuvius
what it means is that you can rename the lod4 to lod0,1,2 and 3 and replace/overwrite the original (lod0,1,2,3) ones with it :)
Date: March 17, 2008 07:02PM
Ok, I copied lod 4, 3 times for the arrows and then called it lod 0, 1, 2 and 3. Put it into a wad and the game just crashed. Anything I did wrong? Or can it not be done with the original.wad?
Date: March 17, 2008 07:12PM
Posted by: n00binio
lod 0,1,2,3 and 4 must be composed of a certain amount of objects. if lod 4 is not composed of the needed lod 0 amount of objects and you copy and rename it the game will crash. that was discussed already a few days ago, but i donĀ“t remember the thread...
Date: March 18, 2008 06:35PM
Ok, well does someone know how to get a hold of Greg (Did that FAQ)? So I can ask him about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy