how to not use csm

Posted by salvasirignano 
how to not use csm
Date: March 09, 2008 06:39PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Hi guys, sorry for the length of this, but here goes..
How do I go about creating a permanent mod from CSM data?
First of all I like CSM, but the reason I ask is that the in game loading times for a couple of my CSM mods (1995, 2007) are way too long, almost 5 minutes for 1995 (which has a cars.wad of 70mb).
Yet I can play with the newly released Ferrari Nations Cup mod (non CSM), with a cars.wad of 110mb, and sessions are loaded in ten seconds.
I'm not really bothered about track specific cars or performances, they are a nice feature, but redundant if I can't play the game.
So if I want to create say a 1995 folder with same cars at all tracks (No track spec wads) and one performance file, that I can load through GPx patch, what do I have to do? Does CSM change the exe and tell it to look for different wads at each track?
If someone could perhaps give a short guide; eg what to copy from the CSM modified folder, whether I have to use team editor etc, I would be very grateful.
I have tried not letting CSM restore and starting it through GPx patch which gave same loading times. Then I tried copying the cars.wad and GP4.exe from the folder CSM changes, to a new install, but that failed miserably :(

Thanks in anticipation
Salvatore

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 06:52PM by salvasirignano.
Re: how to not use csm
Date: March 09, 2008 09:57PM
Posted by: rosberg91
you can disable the autorestore ..........
Date: March 09, 2008 10:39PM
Thanks for your reply.
What I meant was I would like to know how to take elements of a csm mod, and make it into a game folder that is just like the original game version, but with different cars names, menu pics and one performance file.
Like when I have disabled autorestore, there are still 17 track wads, loads of different performances and stuff in various subfolders - I have no idea as to whether they are all being used or not, which ones to edit etc.
For example in the 1995 mod, there are performance files for the first ten teams, then independent ones for the minnow at each track! If I select one perf file in GPX patch, then how do I know what's happening with the minnow team?
Just stuff like that I'd like to avoid.
Date: March 09, 2008 10:44PM
Posted by: F33LTH3F0RC3
If you had the knowledge, you can. I think all you would need to do is use the CSM settings for a particular mod and put them into wads and move folders to the right place etc. For example for me I have the 1995 mod, which loads fairly quick 1 minute or so. I would go into my GP4 folder, click on GPSAVES and the car sets, select the 1995 folder and then go into settings i think it is. Then all I would need to do is create the wads and put the files in the right place over the GP4 and wallah.
Date: March 10, 2008 02:56PM
Posted by: ZaZ
You can make a permanent installation by running csmcore from the console by using the /p switch
csmcore /cs"C:\Program files\Gp4\Gpsaves\Carsets\2005\2005.csm" /p
But be warned, there's no way back.

However, I don't think that would solve anything as CSM itself doesn't slow down loading times.
If I understand it correctly, your issue isn't CSM's loading times but GP4 loading times to get to the track, right?
If your issue is CSM loading times, you can enable wadcaching to speed up the process downto a couple of seconds.
If your issue is GP4 loading times, then adding stuff manually wouldn't help you as the loading times will stay the same.
What happens when you load a mod without a track profile? Sometimes the tracks don't hurt your system and neither does the cars.wad, but the combination of the two kills. That means there's a bottleneck somewhere and your computer simply can't cope with all the high res stuff (128 or less mb videocards suffer from this issue with recent mods and trackpacks)
The solution is to lower some settings in the mod or convert some tracks to a lower res.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: March 10, 2008 05:16PM
Thanks ZaZ,
It's strange because I can load it without a trackpack and it takes the same time, ~5 mins. 1991 mod with trackpack loads ingame in about 20 seconds...
I use low res textures for all things in 1995, standard in 1991.
Just one of those things I guess..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 10:54PM by salvasirignano.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy