latest updated cars wad

Posted by Anonymous User 
latest updated cars wad
Date: July 25, 2006 07:44PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
i've seen a lot of posts with people having trouble updating their car wad file to latest/newer version...for a lot of us this is no problem..so i have an idea..

maybe a seasoned member of this forum could compile a car wad file for general
download use for the newer members....all they have to do is download & copy to their gp4 directory....this would lessen the ammount of posts on this subject & make the hard work by the car makers more accessable for all...

this is a friendly idea..please don't bite my head off.......
Re: latest updated cars wad
Date: July 25, 2006 07:50PM
Posted by: Sapo
Nice idea indeed, i believe it is even done some time, but i think you need permission from all the authors of the stuff in the wad to release it in public. That is the major problem...
Date: July 25, 2006 07:58PM
Posted by: Nickv
Nice idea Jimbob, and yes it has been done before. Karan made a 2005 wad/

@ Sapo: I guess getting permission won't be a big issue, if you ask it friendly most will give it I think ;-)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:01PM
Posted by: jpmfw
it`s a good idea yes,maybe i could find time to do one,permissions won`t be an issue i don`t think,lol, i tested most of them.No promises though, if anyone else wants to get on with it then please do

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 08:02PM by jpmfw.
Date: July 25, 2006 08:22PM
Posted by: Monza972
it is a good idea but not a really good one coz you can upload your wad and everything here but then you will these "people" *not mentionion who for a piece of mind* will come and start shouting the odds that this guy's is leecher and so on... Thats what i think :)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:26PM
Posted by: Nickv
If you say in your post you have all of the permissions, nobody will say you're a leecher.
Date: July 25, 2006 08:26PM
Posted by: Overgone
Hmmmm... It's a good idea :) But you'll still have the same problem when somebody wants to update their older livery to the new one, or install the latest helmets etc... We can't keep uploading updated wad's all the time ;)

[www.purevolume.com]
Date: July 25, 2006 08:39PM
Posted by: bignav88
i am happy to post mine online, i beleive my cars.wad is truly amazing!!..lol
Date: July 25, 2006 08:39PM
Posted by: Tobi
i have an updated wad one Tobacco and one NT version if i get permissions i could upload it... i could do a pack like karan in 2005 ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 08:41PM by Tobi.
Date: July 25, 2006 08:41PM
Overgone schreef:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmmm... It's a good idea But you'll still have the same problem when
> somebody wants to update their older livery to the new one, or install
> the latest helmets etc... We can't keep uploading updated wad's all
> the time
>
>

No, but the people who aren't able to find out how to update gp4 (matter of searching forums, faq's etc) neither will find out that there are updates of the recent cars (also matter of searching community's). Mostly i think they're happy with what they've got (a 200X updated season).

So i think it is good to upload a complete as possible wad fore people. I might even use it myself, my own 2006 wad is over 290 mb now ;) (full of unused files and mess)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 09:01PM by Sapo.
Date: July 25, 2006 08:53PM
Posted by: jpmfw
looks like i`m off the hook :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: July 25, 2006 09:26PM
Posted by: ralv585
its a good idea, but you need to cater for alot of different systems, you'd have to release different spec wads for each system, because people stuggling to update wont be able to, wont know how, to downsize the tex if there is just a hi res wad.

i'd upload mine, its original car order, medium spec, tex file are standard 1.32mb, total wad size 94.6mb

regarding the leecher situation going on throughout the forum, do you think its a good idea to release through viral, i.e the author release's to people they trust, then they release to people they trust etc, i know it might take a bit longer to get the download, but it could stop known leechers getting their hands on other peoples work.
Date: July 25, 2006 09:38PM
Posted by: smorr
Its really not that much trouble to get the permission for something like that. The people that make the Car relises most of the time it is the same as someone compling their wad themselves.

As stated, Karan did a few wads, He said he didnt have permission for the first one (if i remember) but then for the rest he did, and no one said a thing.

A 290 MB WAD! You might want to dig through that puppy.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: July 25, 2006 09:57PM
smorr schreef:

>
> A 290 MB WAD! You might want to dig through that puppy.

Well, i am too lazy to clean it up, or make a fresh one, and because i am lazy, i don;t mind the long loading times either (the only disadvantage of having a large wad) ;)
Date: July 25, 2006 10:04PM
Posted by: smorr
Hmm. Mines 156 MB. I think ill clean it out when i get back into GP4, still need to get that williams and some more helmets... meh.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: July 25, 2006 10:34PM
Posted by: Bigbrother
i have everything on hi res, lod0 only and its 131 mb, time to clean your 259 mb one ;-)
Date: July 25, 2006 10:52PM
Posted by: mortal
This definately needs to be done and asap before the 2006 season ends. I doubt that users on this site would complain about cars that were released on this site being compiled into a wad for users on this site to use. But if permissions are required then it is not really "too hard basket" to get it done. It should be done in lo-res as well as hi-res to cater for differing systems. Get to work :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 25, 2006 10:59PM
Posted by: Ruboy
mortalwombat Wrote:
> This definately needs to be done and asap before the 2006 season ends.
> I doubt that users on this site would complain about cars that were
> released on this site being compiled into a wad for users on this site
> to use. But if permissions are required then it is not really "too
> hard basket" to get it done. It should be done in lo-res as well as
> hi-res to cater for differing systems. Get to work
>

I agree :) Would be also nice for the modders to include or post a long long credits list - they deserve it :)

Date: July 25, 2006 11:07PM
Posted by: mwb
Blimey, My NT wad is 246mb!

What the hell can I delete? I'm sure I'd only got what I needed in there but judging from some of the sizes on here, it must be full of rubbish!

Bigbrother Wrote:
> i have everything on hi res, lod0 only and its 131 mb, time to clean
> your 259 mb one
Date: July 25, 2006 11:14PM
Posted by: MazdaSpeed
If you zip or rar a cars.wad it will become about 40 mb...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy