Zeppelin's Work Thread - No more Track editing

Posted by zeppelin101 

The completed "main" stand. The others just need the final mapping and then they will be ready to be put in game :)

I made all the textures myself (apart from the concrete one) which is why it's taken a bit longer to map than I originally thought.

Please tell me what you think about the final product :)
@zep,great work mate,i knew it would be :),look forward to getting it into the track wad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should be sweet going around that part when it's raining heavily, go from a monsoon to a very dry surface and crash when you go back to the wet part! ;)
looks really really big, but ace :)

@Zep: Refering to Guimengo, how is it possible to define in 3DEditor where track remains dry although it is raining (like in the tunnel in Monaco)?

Looking great Zep, you're very talented, keep it up!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Ruboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Zep: Refering to Guimengo, how is it possible to
> define in 3DEditor where track remains dry
> although it is raining (like in the tunnel in
> Monaco)?
>

I had a chat with Lo2k about this on realgpx a few months back. We think it's one of the "miscellaneous" file types in the wads, but I'm not sure which one. I'm quite sure that the .hze stores heat haze data, and patrick believes that the .vcl stores the video wall data, but further than this, I don't really know. If I find out though, I will implement it :)

Ruboy Wrote:
> @Zep: Refering to Guimengo, how is it possible to
> define in 3DEditor where track remains dry
> although it is raining (like in the tunnel in
> Monaco)?
>

I had a chat with Lo2k about this on realgpx a few months back. We think it's one of the "miscellaneous" file types in the wads, but I'm not sure which one. I'm quite sure that the .hze stores heat haze data, and patrick believes that the .vcl stores the video wall data, but further than this, I don't really know. If I find out though, I will implement it :)

@Fongu: You should have seen it the first time. I built it in metres in max, and it swallowed the whole track lol It appears that the game is missing a few orders of magnitude in terms of sizes, because everything is in centimetres hehe

zeppelin101 Wrote:
> ...
> If I find out though, I will implement it

and of course tell us how to do this:)

Of course. Anyway, I just had a look at the .env, .hze and .vcl files, and only the .vcl is encoded. The other two you can edit with notepad. I'm going to get hold of Lo2k, and see what he makes of the .env, but the .hze is clearly for heat haze windows, so you can edit their positions if you wish :)
Right, although I haven't worked on either track much, the stands do work in game (quite nicely, if I may so myself :)) and I'll be making the pits next.

In the mean time, I've been learning to shape in 3ds max 7.

If you visit the gp4carpainting site regularly, you may have seen it, but for those who haven't, here it is :)

Not much left to finish; just the headlights and a few final tweaks and the main shape will be complete :) Then I'll set about making rims / tires for it and the car will be completely finished :)

Forgot to mention that I've done about 7 hours work on it :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 02:20PM by zeppelin101.
WOW looks great :)
Very nice job, Zeppelin :)

Coming back to the subject, .env files defines which of the 2 static environment maps is used and .hze specify position and size of heat haze "walls".

About dry portions of the track, I think I just found the setting : if you look at the .bin files of an original track having a tunnel, and check values for vertices in the tunnel, you will quickly see that these vertices haven't a white color as every other but a red one !
I did not test this but I think it's the answer.

for sounds echoes in a tunnel, they are defined in the .crd file in the sounds track folder.

damn...I should really finish this technical guide about all the GP4 files and their content...

Thanks Lo2k :)

I knew you'd find something on the subject or dry parts on a track, nice work mate :) I'll have a play around later as well and hopefully this will be another thing to keep in mind :)
wowwww. Just incredible, and only seven hours . ¡¡¡aplause!!!
Woww, what efficient.
I model in zmodeler, and I'm asking me if would be better modeling with 3Dmax.
What do you think?? Any tutorial or thing for learning???
How many polys does your car have??

GP4-ARGENTINA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 08:05PM by Laguna.
I ought to hold back the polycount until it's completely finished, but currently it's 38,000 :P Don't worry, it'll be half that when I've finished it.

3ds max is easier to model in once you know what everything does. There are a lot of tools at your disposal that help a lot when making stuff (target weld has saved the car on many occassions). The important thing with max is to trick it occassionally, but so far I've got away with not having to do that so far hehe

here is a great place for tutorials. It's where I got the vids from that are helping me with this, and although there is an a3 tutorial, mine is an older version so I had to do a bit more work on it hehe

Thanks for the comments so far :)
thank you very much.
:D

GP4-ARGENTINA
A talented track maker and a talented car shaper, that's Zep! :)

Incredible work, keep it up!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy