GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: April 10, 2008 12:54AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Totaly another thing : Why nobody thought about it so far ?

(yes, original grid jip mappings are somewhat also displayed on this screen)

Skids at will, track tarmac particularities, every lines you ever dreamt to add...Everything is possible this way, in hiqh quality and with no fade out/blurry effect with distance.
ps : oh and any color can be used...yellow, reb, blue...whatever.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 01:07AM by Lo2k.
Date: April 10, 2008 02:45AM
Posted by: Prblanco
Laurent, are these new objects on the track? Do they flicker or something?

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: April 10, 2008 09:28AM
They are above the track and they are not flickering because their mesh respects the exact track layout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 09:29AM by Lo2k.
Date: April 10, 2008 02:29PM
Posted by: TTM
Hmmm, very interesting Laurent.. :) So, it's possible to do example skidmarks to track with object and DXT5 + Full transparency texture? (As i made tree shadows in Monza.. ..Oval bridge area.)
Date: April 10, 2008 06:47PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Laurent, how does it exactly work with those road markings?

I'm very curious.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: April 10, 2008 07:46PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Looks nice :)

I thought of this before but never put it into practice... nice to see it works!

Another question... how much are they above track?

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: April 10, 2008 10:10PM
Well, using new flat objects over the tarmac is not new anyway and I did it yet years ago when I added yellow and white garage lines at Imola or the Sepang red and white pitlane line.
And yes they are using DXT5+full transparency textures to blend with tarmac texture.

The main difference with past attempts is that thanks to latest GP4Builder improvements, we can now convert the full .dat tarmac into its .gp4 counterpart. Thus, we just need to create the tarmac once again for any given part of the track and displace it around 2cm higher and we will get a perfect coat over the track, following banking and direction. Then, we can also easily change mapping of each track object applying a 0.1 scale effect, making a 10 sectors section covered by a single texture.

In the example above, I used a 256*512 texture for chicane skids and 256*256 for other drawings.
Using a single texture is better for long skids else you would need to create several textures that could seemlessly follow each other.
Having an exact replication of the track gives less flickering than before when we used squares above track sectors. The 2 faces of the square were often covering two or more tarmac faces and thus rendering engine was having trouble to know which face was front of which and it was causing flickering at long range as with the sepang red line told above.

The advantage of this method is that texture is covering the whole tarmac all track long if needed, meaning you can set melbourne numerous lines and get them in high quality whatever the distance. You can also add details like leaves in grass or so by recreating banks or verges instead of tarmac.

The only little drawback is that you need to play with transparence to blend with the tarmac and to still see shadows when cars are going over these textures. Anyway, a workaround can also be found for shadows...it would only need to recreate white line pattern in 3d in the .col. It's clearly not a solution that could be done right now but maybe in future.

In the meanwhile, skidmarks are not causing any trouble at all and can be set at will...even over kerbs :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 10:34PM by Lo2k.
Date: April 11, 2008 06:55AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
looks great, well done!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 11, 2008 08:07AM
Posted by: super__alonso
Would I be able to use this method when making road lines for my Adelaide track??
Date: April 11, 2008 11:03PM
Posted by: n00binio
a small question: in what way does gp4 draw such lines (eg after spinning the car etc) on the track?
Date: April 12, 2008 12:54AM
These are permanent marks.
Anyway GP4 also draws usual dynamic skidmarks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2008 12:54AM by Lo2k.
Date: April 12, 2008 09:06PM
Posted by: n00binio
ok thanks for the info
Date: April 13, 2008 08:11PM
Posted by: SilverBlaze
Hi again.
Once again I have a question for you: Is it possible to duplicate many objects at once, I have 40 separate trees for example, and I want to select them all, and create another 40 trees with a few clicks. Is this possible? If not, then what is the fastest way to create as many separate trees as possible. Thanks!

HD SUZUKA - MENU ADDONS - ONBOARD CAMERAS - VIDS
Date: April 13, 2008 08:19PM
Duplication of multiple objects is not currently possible.
But as for many missing multi selection options, you can simply create a new scene and displace all the trees you want to duplicate in it, then delete all scenes but the one with trees and save the file under a new name (else you will crush your track :/).
Now, reopen your full track and reimport your single scene (File menu/import/.gp4 scene) as many times as you wish trees.

Date: April 13, 2008 08:33PM
Posted by: Ruboy
With such objects like trees, bushes or grass I have another method.
I simply duplicate the parts of the object at first...not the object itself.
So if you have a tree object with one tree, then it has only one part...no you duplicate the tree let's say 5 times and move the new parts. Now you have one object with six parts...now you can duplicate the object and by moving it to another place you can move six trees at one time instead of dupliacting them several times.

Date: April 13, 2008 08:38PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Duplication of multiple objects is not currently
> possible.
> But as for many missing multi selection options,
> you can simply create a new scene and displace all
> the trees you want to duplicate in it, then delete
> all scenes but the one with trees and save the
> file under a new name (else you will crush your
> track :/).
> Now, reopen your full track and reimport your
> single scene (File menu/import/.gp4 scene) as many
> times as you wish trees.

Thanks, will try that.

Ruboy Wrote:
> With such objects like trees, bushes or grass I
> have another method.
> I simply duplicate the parts of the object at
> first...not the object itself.
> So if you have a tree object with one tree, then
> it has only one part...no you duplicate the tree
> let's say 5 times and move the new parts. Now you
> have one object with six parts...now you can
> duplicate the object and by moving it to another
> place you can move six trees at one time instead
> of dupliacting them several times.

Ookay. That was really in my mind too. But wasn't really sure if it would be handy or not.

Date: April 13, 2008 08:59PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Probably you will have to adjust the position of each part manually but that's still much quicker then duplicating single objetcs.

Date: April 13, 2008 09:19PM
Well yeah, I'm not too experienced in track editing...
Not sure if I made it correct, but using Lo2k's tip, I created a new scene with 10 trees, deleted the others and saved into a different .gp4 file.
Later imported it, I got those 10 trees, but I cannot move them all together, althought I can import as many of them as I want to, not too helpful tbh, having to move them all separately. Was this as it should be?

Beware, the following text might be.. kind of.. cryptic.. ;|

And Ryboy's "tactic". Not sure if I understood you, but I thought it was what I had thought minutes earlier, dunno how this happens. I use to different tree objects, I copy them all over, again and again. Then, sometimes they become parts of an object as you told, then, from the menu, I choose Edit - Group with Object, I select a tree, now, when I select one particular tree which is part of this "object", I can move them all at the same time! This is a lot faster, however, I'm not sure how I made this, cause when I tried it again afterwards, I couldn't get those damn trees to become a part of an object...

I have only limited knowledge of this program, still, I'd like to get those trees done a lot faster, if you understood that text above, could you explain this a little.
Thanks.

Date: April 13, 2008 09:24PM
Posted by: paranoik0
You must have done something wrong the second time, because that's the method that I use the most, and it works fine. I group several trees into an object and then duplicate it.
Date: April 13, 2008 09:35PM
paranoik0 Wrote:
> You must have done something wrong the second
> time, because that's the method that I use the
> most, and it works fine. I group several trees
> into an object and then duplicate it.

Sure, cause I have no idea how it works, it was just pure luck with first try...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy