Semi Pro Level Too Hard.

Posted by greg 
Semi Pro Level Too Hard.
Date: August 11, 2005 07:29PM
Posted by: greg
We play 3 player hot seat seasons and just finished one on Amateur level using keyboard settings. Well, a PS2 joypad with the keys mapped to the d-pad and buttons using JoytoKey program.

We do well on amateur but we can't keep up on Semi Pro which is Level 3 of 5. No chance of even pole anywhere.

I can get into the sub 1.30's at melbourne in qualifying but that feels like it's pushed to the limit, on Semi Pro the cars are pushing sub 1.29's. On Ace level we must be 5 seconds of the pace.

Are the levels not a guide for keyboard users? Do you have to have a wheel to play any level higher than amateur?

I noticed that cmagic data has the lines :

490 ; ?? cc power factor semi-pro
486 ; ?? cc grip factor semi-pro
473 ; ?? cc power factor amateur
477 ; ?? cc grip factor amateur
455 ; ?? cc power factor rookie
465 ; ?? cc grip factor rookie

I've tried adding a few to the power on amateur level power factor instead of the 17 number jump the game apparently does from Amateur to Semi Pro and it's closer to our times. So a little bit of tweaking should get us a good level to play on.

But are there any other numbers I'm missing. Will just adding a few to the power factor give us a new level between amateur and semi pro. They won't run out of fuel on last laps or anything daft like that. ;o)

Thanks.
Re: Semi Pro Level Too Hard.
Date: August 11, 2005 07:49PM
Posted by: smallyseba
Hello greg!
I do not really know how I can help you, I'm sorry....

Generally, GP 4 is quite difficult on levels 3 to 5. You cannot compare it to GP 3 or other racing games! I had a lot of difficulties at the beginning, although I have a good steering whell...

Keep racing!
Date: August 11, 2005 07:57PM
Posted by: ferrariman
I use a keyboard and find that ACE is ok, sometimes even easy
Date: August 11, 2005 08:00PM
Posted by: rocker
Sorry. Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2005 08:01PM by rocker.
Date: August 11, 2005 08:00PM
Posted by: rocker
Hey greg,

I play GP4 with keys.

Are you using the default setup?

The default setup is great for beginners, but to play on higher levels you should know how to ajust your car. Compare your times with digital drivers in LFRS and you will see that they are faster than CC cars, some people even beat the track record in GP4.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: August 11, 2005 08:14PM
Posted by: Floris_Koop_GP4Freak
wow.. am I that good???!! could race against the modern champion at the second time i played the game... at Ace!! ;) just kiddin' but after a bit playing i could fight for the fictory :) ones, i won with 40 seconds on rubens barrichello at Indianapolis :) started from the back.. I have a steering wheel ofcourse**

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2005 08:15PM by Floris_Koop_GP4Freak.
Date: August 11, 2005 08:22PM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
semi-pro is just too easy lol , with keys at least , driving with Sterring wheel at gp4 is just completely wrong , the car never turns like it should .. completely wrong imo.

with keys I already won many races at ACE and I found one thing that may help you. At advanced setup , where the differential is , set first 2 bars to 10 and the car is automatically much faster( around 5 tenths or more ).
Date: August 11, 2005 08:24PM
rocker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey greg,
>
> I play GP4 with keys.
>
> Are you using the default setup?

We use the default setups, yes. But I use them mainly because as it's hot seat mode for 3 players and the computer drives you for 2/3's of the race. It's set to 5 turns per race so we get about 6 minutes per turn.

I don't fancy setting up a lighter car and watching the computer spin me around the grass every lap then doing the after you thing and letting all cars overtake you before you rejoin the track. ;o)

Date: August 11, 2005 09:07PM
Posted by: chet
im keys :) play at pro atm... i can easily get pole!

but come 2nd to kimi or trulli!!!! grr!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 11, 2005 10:50PM
Posted by: IL Dottore
you are pussy if you not drive higher than semi-pro ;)

Magic Senna
Date: August 11, 2005 11:48PM
Posted by: Lemming
I hate using keys. Too easy and you're never in control!

But that means it's too difficult on highest difficulty setting, but I guess that makes sense...

Date: August 11, 2005 11:58PM
Posted by: darrenj
posted by Forgotten-Boy

with keys I already won many races at ACE and I found one thing that may help you. At advanced setup , where the differential is , set first 2 bars to 10 and the car is automatically much faster( around 5 tenths or more ).

Where are these 2 bars exactly?

===========================================================================
Core i7 920@ 3.8, 3x2gig DDR3 ram, GA X58 UD5 mobo, Powercolor ATI HD 5850 1gig, Cheiftec 750W, CM HAF 922 case.
Shop lifters of the world, unite and take over.
Date: August 12, 2005 01:06AM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
I can´t remember correctly since I dont play gp4 for months ago , but it´s on setup , then advanced setup or something like that ... you get options about springs and all that , choose the most advanced ( setup 2 ? ) and you will get plenty of options , the differential should be there below of all options ... IIRC , sorry if this didnt help but I think it´s something like that
Date: August 12, 2005 07:46AM
Posted by: Bruce D
Greg are you running GpxPatch with a performance file? I.E. are you running something other than the original game as it came off the cd?

Reason is with GPxPatch you can mod the performance file to reduce the level of grip and power the AI have and you can be more competitive with them. That would be the easiest way to do it IMO.

Also IMO you don't need a steering wheel for GP4 or GP3. Just a waste of time.
Date: August 12, 2005 08:01AM
Posted by: nicol@cciarri
Regarding the difficulty on driving in all the GP4 levels, You can find in each magic file for each track the strings You above reported. But, note, please:
the "power" factor is the percentage of car power bhp for ALL drivers ( including therefore human one ) for THAT track ( assuming that in GP4 100% of car power is 500 ).
Therefore, You can increae this factor to make lower the lap times for all drivers in that track, but this could mean that also difficulty on driving against CPU drivers is higher for Human driver.
The string in magic file with "grip"for each driver level is the ability of ONLY CPU DRIVERS to retard braking before the corners, and the grip during the corners. Therefore, increasing the value of this string, You can increase a lot the difficulty of performances. If Human driver wants to have less difficulty on driving against CPU drivers, the value should be made lower.
In practical, the more You increase "grip factor" in magic data, the more Human driver will have difficulty, while increasing "power factor" both human and CPU driver will have car more powerful on that track.
Finally, remember that GP4 default magic 100% value is 500 for both strings, but while commonly "grip power" can be also higher than 100 % ( 500 ) in some tracks for Ace level, "power factor" is always maximum 500 for Ace level, and lower for the other driving levels.
And, don't confuse "grip factor" with "track grip"...they are different parameters.
Hoping to have clarified these aspects.
Date: August 12, 2005 08:36AM
Posted by: b-tone
you're a wealth of information nic :)

____
Tony

Date: August 12, 2005 10:38AM
Posted by: nicol@cciarri
Thanks, Tony
Date: August 12, 2005 12:54PM
Posted by: Ziggy_Marlon
I don't wanna sound like a wanker, but it just takes practice mate..
one day you'll start knockin off the driver aids, brake a little later here and there, and find that your lap times drop accordingly. Changing the setup is definately a must tho, default GP4 setups are alright to begin with, but once you decide what you want the car to do on this corner and that, you can set it up so it does what you want it to do and you'll find that your times drop without even noticing it...

and Bruce D, I know it's your opinion, but my opinion is that driving GP4 with a keyboard is a 'waste of time' especially since your following that stupid CC line the whole time.
Date: August 12, 2005 12:54PM
Posted by: Ziggy_Marlon
I don't wanna sound like a wanker, but it just takes practice mate..
one day you'll start knockin off the driver aids, brake a little later here and there, and find that your lap times drop accordingly. Changing the setup is definately a must tho, default GP4 setups are alright to begin with, but once you decide what you want the car to do on this corner and that, you can set it up so it does what you want it to do and you'll find that your times drop without even noticing it...

and Bruce D, I know it's your opinion, but my opinion is that driving GP4 with a keyboard is a 'waste of time' especially since your following that stupid CC line the whole time.
Date: August 12, 2005 03:09PM
nicol@cciarri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding the difficulty on driving in all the GP4
> levels, You can find in each magic file for each
> track the strings You above reported. But, note,
> please:
> the "power" factor is the percentage of car power
> bhp for ALL drivers ( including therefore human
> one ) for THAT track ( assuming that in GP4 100%
> of car power is 500 ).

So your car drives faster on Ace than it does on Rookie? It feels the same to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy