stuttering through corners only with activated FFB

Posted by JohnnyR 
Date: December 16, 2023 11:12AM
Posted by: JohnnyR
hello everybody,

coming back to GP4 after many years and now having stuttering only! driving through (fast) corners, at the same moment the FFB vibration effect of my Thrustmaster T300 wheel kicks in...

is this normal behavor of GP4 that the picture starts to jump/shake when the tyres start singing and loosing grip?

PO isn't jumping up in these moments, FPS stay stable @60 and driving on straights the game is totally fluid.

this happens on every track and if i jump as a spectator in another car into cockpit view, it doesn't happen for the AI controlled cars.

i find out that GP4 originally uses direct input protocol for wheels/controllers but newer OS use xinput and handles FFB different.

maybe it has something to do with it?... does anybody know how to force the usage of direct input protocol instead of xinput with windows 10?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2023 09:29PM by JohnnyR.
Re: stuttering only driving through corners
Date: December 20, 2023 02:08PM
plz guys answer... my first question if this is normal GP4 behavior or not can nearly everybody answer in this forum :-)
Date: December 23, 2023 01:17AM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
Hi, I have no idea why GP4 is stuttering only in the corners. Maybe try to reduce the ingame graphic settings of GP4?
Date: December 23, 2023 03:14PM
@ thanks for reply TGF1Driver2,

the graphics settings make no difference - i have tried it also with different f1graphics.cfg files i found here in the forum... stuttering always happens the same moment i feel the ffb vibration from wheel in corners...
Date: December 23, 2023 05:46PM
Posted by: JCaranti
How about reducing the Force feedback in the software?

2010 to 2021 Gp4 Track updates
Date: December 23, 2023 09:42PM
yes, if i disable FF the stutter is gone... maybe it has to do with the FFB refresh rate...

GP4 physics run @ fixed 60 Hz/fps and slows down the game or FFB (with a stutter) to hold that 60 Hz

newer wheels like my T300RS working @ much more hz ... some games like Automobilista & Assetto Corsa give you an option to change the FFB rate, but i dont think there is an option in GP4?
Date: December 23, 2023 11:08PM
Posted by: JCaranti
Not available for GP4 the refresh the rate of the force feedback, at least for now.

2010 to 2021 Gp4 Track updates
Date: December 24, 2023 07:59AM
if it’s not possible to change the FFB refresh rate in GP4.exe via hexedit or *ini settings, maybe somebody knows how to change the wheels refresh rate?

(for my Logitech mouse i can change the hz in her software, but in my Thrustmaster T300RS wheels software i havent such a setting)

i am sure such problems are getting more in the future with always faster/advanced hardware…
Date: December 26, 2023 11:59PM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
I'm out, I have no experience with this topic at all.
Date: December 27, 2023 09:29PM
changed today the usb polling rate (hz) of the wheel (like a mouse) with a little tool from github but this doesn't fixes the stutter...

if i disable FFB it runs totally fluid...

now i am sure it has to do with the FFB update refresh rate,

googling around i found that some other old sims have such issues like GTR 2... here the community and crew chief creates great stuff, also iracing runs stock FFB @ 60hz and there are improvements made by the community...

plz contact me if someone has an idea how to adress this GP4 "maybe tied to the 60 hz physics engine FFB problem" :-)
Re: stuttering through corners only with activated FFB
Date: January 03, 2024 05:46PM
Posted by: landex
hi JohnnyR, try to change the angle° in the windows settings for 190 or 180°. then calibrate the wheel in gp4 and decrease the ffb.
And at last, turn the steering help ON, only to see the diference..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy