magic data

Posted by Pont 
magic data
Date: November 11, 2023 06:54PM
Posted by: Pont
if i open a magic data file i only see the adjustments of 6 gears but for example racing on melbourne all ai cars use the 7th gears as well?? How can I tune all the cars so that they all (including my own car) use exact the same setup and gears ? For example, my car is much faster in terms of top straight speed ?

magic data file...
20 ; fw
19 ; rw
25 ; 1st
32 ; 2nd
38 ; 3rd
45 ; 4th
51 ; 5th
56 ; 6th
20 ; fw
19 ; rw
25 ; 1st
32 ; 2nd
38 ; 3rd
45 ; 4th
51 ; 5th
56 ; 6th
20 ; fw
19 ; rw
25 ; 1st
32 ; 2nd
38 ; 3rd
45 ; 4th
51 ; 5th
56 ; 6th
Re: magic data
Date: November 11, 2023 09:27PM
Posted by: Noog
Don't use the gears to adjust your speed.

Look further down the MD file: CC power factor (ace, pro etc).

Lower those values until the CC cars top speed more or less matches yours.

(When I do it I drive the 6th fastest car and match it with the 6th fastest CC car).
Date: November 12, 2023 12:12PM
what values do you use for Melbourne?
Date: November 12, 2023 01:11PM
Well that depends on the PF you are using, because that determines the power of your car. Also, it's ages since I used Melbourne, so my current figures probably wouldn't be much use to you.

However, try these in your MD (they are my basic default settings when I'm calibrating a track) and tweak the POWER settings for your setup until the CC car that's most similar to yours has the same top speed on the longest straight - and keep an eye on your revs and the CC car revs (in case you need to lengthen, ie increase, or shorten/decrease the top gear value because you never get close to the maximum rev level permitted in the mod).

500 ; cc power factor ace
495 ; cc grip factor ace
490 ; cc power factor pro
495 ; cc grip factor pro
480 ; cc power factor semi-pro
495 ; cc grip factor semi-pro
470 ; cc power factor amateur
495 ; cc grip factor amateur
460 ; cc power factor rookie
495 ; cc grip factor rookie

Then, once you've got the top speed right, go back and modify the grip settings to set your overall lap time to about the same as the CC car closest to yours. If the CC cars are too fast for you, lower the grip value. If they are too slow compared to you, raise them.

Take your time and do this correctly and you'll have a nicely calibrated track. And here's a tip: when you use the same track in another mod, you'll normally find that the power values you end up with here will be perfectly fine in the next mod too - but the grip settings will probably need to be modified (because you'll be using a different set of PFs).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 01:16PM by Noog.
Date: November 12, 2023 02:09PM
thanks, i will try to figure it out. Don"t you like the melbourne track? Which track do you use instead?
Date: November 12, 2023 02:17PM
Not really a question of liking or not it bud. I've been working exclusively on 70s mods for over two years. I'll get back there one day but it all takes time, you know!

Good luck with the editing though. You'll get there - and the more you do it the easier it becomes to get it right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 02:18PM by Noog.
Date: November 12, 2023 05:12PM
Posted by: Jordhy
I liked this topic, now I need to find out the name of the files and where the parameters to be modified are. Any help will be very welcome. Thank you to everyone who fights for the survival of this simulator.
Date: November 12, 2023 05:56PM
MD file = magic data file = an xxx.md3 file

Not all tracks have one, but you can always create one using cmagic4_102.exe (either from the track DAT if it already has magic data, or by creating a new one if it doesn't*)

(* Because Melbourne is an original track, you can also create an md3 file by using cmagic's "create magic file from GP4.exe" option on the EDIT menu, but where the track isn't one of the original 17 tracks you must not use that option)

If you don't have cmagic, check the GP4 FAQs page - there's a link in there near the top of the list of FAQs

Failing that, when Pont has updated his Melbourne to his liking, you could always ask him to send you the track dat or the md3!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 06:00PM by Noog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy