VSync vs PO

Posted by gilles 
VSync vs PO
Date: March 07, 2023 06:38PM
Posted by: gilles
Hello,

I play this game since it came off, and never had any major issues.
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a very high PO (over 100%).

Tried several changes, to try identify the problem, and it seems that it happens only w\vsync turned on (which I always had, over the years)
If I turn it off i get about 30% PO (the usual), but I get some tearing...
I tryed to do it through editing F1graphics, and set nvidia to «application controlled», but no positive results.

Does anyone here have\had a similar problem?
Searched the forums and I tried a fix, using dxwrapper, but it didn´t work (and even cut EAX)

Thanks and regards to the community.
Gilles
Re: VSync vs PO
Date: March 08, 2023 10:24AM
Posted by: zifox
Never had this issue, and I play with vsync on also. (but I have an Radeon card)

What are your current FPS rate and screen refresh rate ? Do they match ? Is your screen rate a multiple of your FPS rate ingame ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you do a full season without qualifying ? Let's find out : [www.youtube.com]
Date: March 08, 2023 05:33PM
Hello,

Thanks for answering.

I always had 60FPS with, about 30%\40% PO.
The screen refresh rate I think is set to 70% (I´m not close to the computer now, but I can check later), but I didn´t change it recently.

I´ll try different refresh rates, later. But you say it´s important to match FPS w\ screen rate, or at least, with a multiple, right?

Regards
Gilles
Date: March 08, 2023 07:54PM
Posted by: firebreather
I use dgVoodoo, that seemed to cure my high PO issues. I didn't really have any PO issues on a 10 year old PC, but as soon as I built a nice new powerful one, with a new monitor, the PO went to about 200% and would constantly stutter. dgVoodoo helped fix that (but it doesn't seem to work for some). My graphics card is an Nvidia and the CPU is Intel.

I did a little write up here:

[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: March 09, 2023 10:03AM
Posted by: zifox
gilles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> I´ll try different refresh rates, later. But you
> say it´s important to match FPS w\ screen rate,
> or at least, with a multiple, right?
>
> Regards
> Gilles

Depending on the way the GPU drivers implements VSync, you may get slowdowns if the CPU/GPU has to wait a lot, worse case being when FPS and refresh nearly match and the screen starts to display one frame just before a new one is ready.
That was one of the reason in the early 2000's why VSync was horrible, the performance were dropping with it enabled. With new hardware, it's very weird to see this happening, especially now that we have Gsync/freesync.

Try to lower your screen refresh rate from 70Hz to 60 and see if anything changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you do a full season without qualifying ? Let's find out : [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2023 10:06AM by zifox.
Date: March 09, 2023 11:22AM
Posted by: pipki1312
Hello everyone, I used dgvoodoo on GP 4 mod 2014 and it helped me / processor load more than 100% is solved but I have a problem with reflections on some tracks. Can anyone help?
In the settings in GP4, I have reflections off
Can anyone help? THANK.YOU....
Here is pictures ........ [files.fm]
[files.fm]
[files.fm]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2023 11:41AM by pipki1312.
Date: March 09, 2023 12:09PM
Hi,

Thank you for the tips.
Weird thing, I was trying yesterday night, with different refresh rates. Suddenly, the game had a heavy crash (made the computer restart), and after, it went back to normal (low PO, with no tearing and vsync on, well I have it set to app controlled, but turned vsync ON, in the F1graphics.ini file)

Again, many thanks for the help, and good races !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy