dgvoodoo and smooth FPS with no stuttering

Posted by firebreather 
dgvoodoo and smooth FPS with no stuttering
Date: July 21, 2021 09:55PM
Posted by: firebreather
I though this might be worth mentioning as I have seen quite a few questions about processor usage/stuttering/fps dropping.

I had just recently built a new PC to a fairly good spec with a 10700K and a 1660S graphics card, which I was hoping would run GP4 like a hot knife through butter but it seemed to be stuttering more than than previous PC which was an 8 year old potato... The frame rate which was set to 60 would randomly drop and the frame latency kept jumping up. The processor usage would be up around 200% going down the pit straight.

But then I found dgvoodoo and set it to DirectX12. Now it's like it's using all the cores (but without the crashing you get when you set it in GPxPatch). With the latest modes, FPS is a constant 60, with no stuttering, the frame latency never changes, the processor usage rarely gets to 100% even at the start - and that includes having a load of reshade filters added on top.

These are my settings to get it to work.

The only problems now are that the depth filters in reshade don't work and the bright reflections, when the sun is shining directly on it, are too bright (the Environment map strength in f1graphics.cfg is only set to 8). These are a small price to pay for no stuttering, but if someone knows how to fix those bits, that would be nice!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 10:02PM by firebreather.
Re: dgvoodoo and smooth FPS with no stuttering
Date: July 22, 2021 10:36AM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Useful tips, thanks for sharing.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: July 22, 2021 11:47AM
Posted by: fongu
For me, the PO went up after installing this, and I get the super shiny cars too.
But I hope this helps some people.

Date: July 22, 2021 03:02PM
Posted by: zifox
Have you tried using DxWnd instead of dgvoodoo to fix the PO issue ?

For me (on both an amd CPU/GPU pair and an old intel/nvidia setup), dgvoodoo fixed nothing and needed a lot of tweaking to get things working, while dxWnd was almost plug and play and PO dropped tenfold. (I use it to be able to run GP3, I have no issue to run GP4 on windows 10 with recent hardware).
Date: February 23, 2022 02:09PM
Posted by: Hinyaldee
zifox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried using DxWnd instead of dgvoodoo to
> fix the PO issue ?
>
> For me (on both an amd CPU/GPU pair and an old
> intel/nvidia setup), dgvoodoo fixed nothing and
> needed a lot of tweaking to get things working,
> while dxWnd was almost plug and play and PO
> dropped tenfold. (I use it to be able to run GP3,
> I have no issue to run GP4 on windows 10 with
> recent hardware).

Hello, I'm having constant crashes indeed having the CPU set to all. What settings do I need to use with dxWnd please ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy