black screen when i open the game (fixed)

Posted by ERIKMISKOLIN 
black screen when i open the game (fixed)
Date: March 31, 2021 07:38PM
Posted by: ERIKMISKOLIN
can someone please help me install grand prix 4 for my dad i have been trying to install it for 2 days without luck when i launch the game the only thing i see is a black window that closes after a minute i have tried 2 win 10 pcs and a laptop with windows xp i have tried installing gpxpatch and nocd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 11:51PM by ERIKMISKOLIN.
Re: black screen when i open the game
Date: March 31, 2021 08:01PM
Posted by: Noog
Win 10 is not my thing, but are you running the game from GPxPatch?

If not, you need to. See the end of this thread for more details

If you don't have it, GPxPatch can be downloaded from the developer's site here

PS: Edit - just noticed you have been using GPxPatch. Apologies.

In which case, take a look at this thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 08:04PM by Noog.
Date: March 31, 2021 08:04PM
someone sent me a folder with the gpxpatch and tried running it on windows xp and still had the same issue
Date: March 31, 2021 08:11PM
An older version perhaps? 4.52 is the latest.

Don't worry though. Many Win10 users here so I'm sure someone will help you out soon.

There are quite a few threads about Win10 problems on the forum too, but I'm not sure the search function is working correctly at the moment so I for now I suggest you put GP4 +Windows 10 into a search engine to help you track them down.

PS: I just did that and found this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 08:13PM by Noog.
Date: March 31, 2021 08:24PM
im trying to install the game on windows XP
Date: March 31, 2021 08:26PM
when i was still trying to install to win 10 i did all the steps u sent me and still didnt run
Date: March 31, 2021 08:30PM
Hmm.

As I say, I don't use Win 10 (or any Windows for that matter), but I'm wondering what error message you get if you open up a command line and run GPxPatch.exe (or even GP4.exe) from there?
Date: March 31, 2021 08:36PM
i get no error its just a black window that maximizes and thats it i have to close it trough task manager even alt f4 doesnt work
Date: March 31, 2021 08:56PM
Wish I could be more helpful because I'm certain I had the problem back in the day, but what happens if you delete (or rename) f1graphics.cfg and/or f1gstate.sav to force the game to re-create its defaults?

If that doesn't work however, you could try downloading the ready-built installation from Tom's site, here. AFAIK that should just work without any messing around.
Date: March 31, 2021 09:03PM
Also, just remembered something:

Make sure you have these files in your GP4 folder:

mfc42.dll
msvcrt.dll
binkw32.dll

I think GPxPatch installs the first two but I'm not sure about binkw32 - and without it I think the intro video will probably hang, so it could well be that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 09:04PM by Noog.
Date: March 31, 2021 09:19PM
i already downloaded the same version from toms site i also have the binkw32.dll but i cant seem to find msvcrt and mfc42
Date: March 31, 2021 09:29PM
Finally (by which I mean I'm out of ideas after this), you said you have GPxPatch installed, so load it, but before you launch the game, make sure you check the enable debug mode, set the verbosity to medium or high and then hit the "Start GPx" button.

Now, if you close the game using the Task Manager and look into your GP4/gpxdata folder you should have a file called gpxpload.txt - and if you post the contents of that here in the thread it's quite likely it'll tell us what the problem is.
Date: March 31, 2021 09:40PM
when i run gp4 trough gpxpatch the gpxpatch is not responding when the game is running and even when i close the game it still isnt responding and it doesnt create a txt file
Date: March 31, 2021 10:19PM
Hmm. Very strange.

So, just to be clear:

1. If you run GP4.exe and you get a black screen which you have to kill in the Task Manager (which isn't all that unexpected)

AND

2. You run GPxPatch.exe and hit the Start GPx button - the black screen comes up in front of GPxPatch - then you kill GP4.exe so you can see GPxPatch again but there's still no gpxpload.txt. (But this is really weird).

If verbosity was set to HIGH in particular I have no idea why gpxpload.txt isn't being created, so all I can suggest again is that you download Tom's pre-built installation. With that, IIRC, all you should ever need to do is extract it to a folder and use GPxPatch to run the game, but if it doesn't, I'm afraid you have me beaten! Sorry.

One final shot in the dark though: do the machines you are using have CD drives? You don't need the GP4 CD but the machine DOES need to have a physical drive (or a fake software one).
Date: March 31, 2021 10:44PM
i will try to reinstall the game tomorrow and the machine has a cd drive
Date: March 31, 2021 11:48PM
i already reinstalled and i have the same issue
Date: April 01, 2021 12:38AM
Posted by: mortal
There's a graphics display problems thread in the FAQ which might be worth looking at.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 01, 2021 02:11PM
can you please provide me with a link because i cant seem to find the FAQ
Date: April 01, 2021 04:39PM
The FAQ is one of the sticky posts in this forum, [www.grandprixgames.org]

Like Mortal, I'm leaning towards this being a GFX problem too; so give this a try:

Open up your /GP4/f1graphics.cfg file. Look at the setting on the first line (ie "f1graphics.cfg controls all settings" ). Now, whatever it is (ie 0 or 1), change it to the other one, save it (making a note of the date/timestamp) - wait a minute or two and run the game. Now what happens?

If it fails, check the date/timestamp on the f1graphics.txt file now. Had it been updated to the new time?

Also, take a look at what you have in /GP4/gconfig.txt - and again, check the modification time stamp of the file been updated to today's date.

The reason I'm asking this is to see how far the loading process gets before it stalls. It might give us a clue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 04:41PM by Noog.
Date: April 01, 2021 09:48PM
when i change the value to 1 the same thing happens the game runs with a black screen and i have to manually close it and i dont know how to create a timestamp neither do i know what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy