Slipstream-test
Date: April 10, 2013 08:08PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Slipstream-test:

As I promised a few days ago, I tested the slipstream effect.

The slipstream effect is in use for two groups of cars: the player's car and cc-cars.
And additional the slipstream effect itself is splitted into two parts: grips (front & rear) and drag.

Here are the complete testing results:

General facts:
Circuit tested on: Talladega
Sessions: 100% races and free practices
C-magic settings were changed that way, that cc-cars and player's car both do have the same setup. Gearbox settings were changed to that the cars never reached the rev-limiter. No defects, no different pitstop-strategies. Do not be confused facing some facts: I use a costum physics and a costum performance-data.

CC-cars:
Grip-value: 00
Non-slipstream-topspeed: 396 Km/h (unchanged when the drag-value has been changed)
In-slipstream-topspeed: 421 kmh (also unchanged when the drag-value has been changed)
The slowest car has had a gap of 6 laps after a 99 laps-race.

Grip-value: 99
Non-slipstream-topspeed: 356 km/h.
In-slipstream-topspeed: 366 km/h
(both still unchanged when the drag-value has been changed)
The slowest car has had a gap of 4 laps at the end of the race.

Player's car:
Non-slipstream:
Drag: 00, Grip: 99 --> Topspeed: 386 km/h
Drag: 00, Grip: 00 --> Topspeed: 386 km/h
Drag: 99, Grip: 00 --> Topspeed: 386 km/h

In-Slipstream:
Drag: 00, Grip: 00 --> Topspeed: 396 km/h
Drag: 40, Grip: 40 --> Topspeed: 387 km/h (logical lower topspeed due to less grip, even on a straight!)

Conclusion:

CC-cars:
- Drag-value has got no effect!
- Grip-value seems to be a kind of drag-value. The higher the grip-values in the slipstream.ini are, the slower the cars will be on the straight!
- Maybe higher grip-values in the slipstream.ini do also lead to a narrower power density (4 laps gap instead of 6 laps by the end of the race). That's maybe, why some people have had the impression, that higher values would lead to more overtaking. But the pack-driving in gerneral is still unchanged, I'm sure.

Player's car:
- Grip- and drag-value both seem to simulate the 'dirty-air'-effect. The more slipstream you have and the higher the values are, the more grip you will lose.
- Both values are added to each other in slipstream, for example:
Grip front-value: 20
Grip rear-value: 50
Drag-value: 50
This would lead to a loss of 70% of the grip in the rear and of 100% in the front (Attention: 'grip-front'- and 'grip-rear'-value are upsite down in game!)
- So the drag-value will affect your grip in general in slipstream and the grip-value gives you the opportunity to let the car's balance change in slipstream.
- The player's topspeed is unchanged, equal to what values you will set.

I hope this will help us to understand the slipstream-effect a little bit more ;-).
Re: Slipstream-test
Date: April 16, 2013 10:24AM
Posted by: davegp4
nice testing(Y)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy