The GrandPrixGames.org Permissions Policy

Posted by Bigbrother 
I'm obviously in too because GP4 is a game before anything, something into which we are deliberately dedicating time and energy to create the mods we like and to share them with everyone (else, what's the point ?).

On my side I released very few mods afterall but everything I released so far is free to use or improve for everyone, including Smoke&Dust, Gridlines, HQBumps and my GPxPatch HUDs.
Anyway I'm the owner of no track despite the fact I contributed to a few of them so I can't give any avail on them but mine and you will have to get green flag from other creators to get full access to the tracks.

I believe that's all for mods on my side. I hopefully brought more to the community via tools than via mods :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 08:14PM by Lo2k.
Bigbrother schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well since i started to give my opinion on the
> 'permission rule policy' that is going on at the
> moment and see that my way of view is shared with
> several other people i suggest the following to
> give the authors of files still the respect they
> deserve and also the community that deserve to
> keep continue playing this game with all the
> quality stuff that is available !!!!!
>
>
> * FILE(S) that has been released in public by the
> author of the file gives automatic permission to
> use his file in a mod, league, .... as long the
> file keep like it is and don't get modified !!!!
> Credits for the file in a mod & league is a MUST
> !!!
>
> author but getting used as BASE or MODIFIED then
> PERMISSION to use/release is still a MUST to ask
> cause you used the file to change/modify if not
> you are LEECHING !!!!
>
> author and getting SOLD on ebay or somewhere else
> = NOT DONE = STEELING !!!!!!!!
>
>
> The suggestion of announcing a mod to be released
> with a 30 days wait list so modders can give their
> opinion about there files, this new permission
> policy rule, suggestions, is also a good idea and
> a MUST todo cause with that list we already show
> the authors of files the respect they deserve and
> the chance if they still don't agree about the new
> way of thinking, acting so the file can be removed
> or replaced if possible.
>
> We also can make a list in for example this topic
> which Authors agrees already with this new rule so
> the files can be used following the new policy
> rule above !!! A few on the list we can already
> put on since we know they give there go for the
> files !!!
>
> * Josékast
> * Enzojz/Viper
> * Kimi-The-Champ
> * NickJW
> * SkaaningeN
> * Isaint
> * Alexf1man
> * Neilcaine
> * Quickslick
> * Soulbringer
> * Turbo Lover
> * ...

that's a great idea and a chance to release my 2012 league mod maybe
Well i just talked with Gildoorf in MSN cause his private box is full :) and he agrees and supports the suggestion, ty mate :)

HIS WORDS:

the less rules, the better it takes... but one should focus high quality and innovation always!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 08:27PM by Bigbrother.
Some fantastic progress being made, all for the good of the community which is really nice to see.

I think its important to note however that permission would still be needed from the original authors if you had converted from another game.

I think some form of quality controls would be also good to implement. I can understand certain modders frustrations when they spend a great deal of time on a car, and then someone basically takes that and adds a small update and then claims it as their own work. I think if these rules are introduced people still have to hold respect for authors works.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Ferrari2007 Schreef:
> Some fantastic progress being made, all for the
> good of the community which is really nice to
> see.
>
> I think its important to note however that
> permission would still be needed from the original
> authors if you had converted from another game.
>
> I think some form of quality controls would be
> also good to implement. I can understand certain
> modders frustrations when they spend a great deal
> of time on a car, and then someone basically takes
> that and adds a small update and then claims it as
> their own work. I think if these rules are
> introduced people still have to hold respect for
> authors works.

Well if you use somebody's work as base to modify you still have to ask the original author permission to public release the file, its up there, second point of the suggestions, that counts also for convertions from other games.
But the moment the file is released in public then the author also agrees that i can be used in mods, leagues, ... without asking but to show the most respect they MUST add them in the credits !
This is definitley the way to go, although i haven't released much......yet ;-), your stance reflects my opinion on modding 100%.
It's all about the community, not the egotistical individuals that drag it down.

F1Dev
hi

I'm all for it

but
imho we must accept the decision from those who did/do original work to restrict the use of their work in mods etc - perhaps the list in this thread (should be a sticky) will grow and then it really doesn't matter - the new consensus of the community will set the tone I hope

now some questions:
- does a csm-mod (all the code with variables, images, user options, tweaker settings ...) count as an original work?
- implies the first rule that all unchanged original work can be hosted on other sites (like gp4central)?
- what about the (for me very confusing and annoying) cascading permissions - example: do I for sharing an updated track which was already updated several times have to ask all authors (back to Geoff ;)) for permission or only the authors of the last update?

my answers (or my five cents):
- No
- Yes
- only the last one

finally - there were some retirements from GP4 - always a sad thing for us users - but I like it when with retirement the authors give overall permission for using their work (like Lee, Prblanco and others did)

cheers
xandy
Well i am sending alot of PM's to modders from over all the years to ask if they can take the time to read and give their opinion about the new suggestion. Of course we respect the choice made by someone, answered or not.

Variables made in the mod in my opinion is credit to zaz(Ronald) that made csm possible, correct me if i am wrong. Most codes are made with help from Ronald :)

If the authors agrees when he public shared his stuff with the new suggestions about permission rule then i don't see a problem why he wouldn't have hosted on other sites when credits are given :)

When you update a track and wants to release it, you modified someone work so yeah you'll have to ask permission of everybody that was involved in the track, i think thats normal else you leech work !
Duffer just agreed on the new permission policy rule as well so tyvm

Sticky for this topic has been asked in pm towards Mortal but i think he didn't read it yet :)
Taking account all my last contributions (and RSCT's members Works) have been all included in some public mods, with credits, but without any authorisation requests, I guess, I, and all RSCT members, agree the new rules.... No? ;)
Anyway, let me reply only for me tonight. The others RSCT members will do it, for sure.

I agree!!! (Y)

But be careful.... the credits have to be done, even if the files are coming from another game. Some works released these days in our community are only pure copies coming from others games.
I think, of course at F1 2010/2011 community where there are 2 or 3 guys who are doing a very great job by updating the textures at 2012.... and when I see
these updates copied and released by some peoples without any changes (not even 1 pixel).... and without any credits..... I am not feeling good...(N)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 10:46PM by gezere.
Sounds really good
Nice idea Steven...i agree on that :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.”
Bigbrother Wrote:
> Duffer just agreed on the new permission policy
> rule as well so tyvm
>
> Sticky for this topic has been asked in pm towards
> Mortal but i think he didn't read it yet :)

Yeah, Mal's a) got internet problems at the moment and b) he's Australian, it'll be early morning over there.

I like what's going on here; some valuable unity :)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
I agree with the proposed rule and it can be applied retroactively to all my released works, as long as all authors involved also agree with it.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
This is great, only just posted today a similar idea in the other thread. Glad to see that, as a community, we're thinking alike.
* FILE(S) that has been released in public by the author but getting used as BASE or MODIFIED then PERMISSION to use/release is still a MUST to ask cause you used the file to change/modify if not you are LEECHING !!!!

I agree from the moment when a file is modified, even with the authorization from the original author, he must be credited, too for his base work.

Otherwise, I agree with the terms and people can use my public files for the mods and I join myself to the others RSCT members for an approval on RSCT works, also.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 10:52PM by Excalibur.
I think it's a good idea.

I haven't followed GP4 for a while, but i do always remember the negativity when cars have been included in mods, and people complaining about permissions etc, which meant mods weren't released and always an argument which made the community split.

But i'm all for sharing :)

Sharing is caring, and can only help our little community to still love and enjoy the game.

I agree with it, I think it's a very good initiative. :-)
Great idea. Count me in :)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Thanks for all the positive responses in this topic and private message.

Following persons have been added to the list and i am sure the complete community will appreciate the positive attidude from the modders regarding these new suggestion :)

Atticus, Gezere, Spidey, Prblanco, Excalibur, ralv585, DaiMOn, Jakobdylan, Willb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy