Gp4 & Fastest Detonator

Posted by captainvik 
Re: Gp4 & Fastest Detonator
Date: March 25, 2003 07:21PM
Posted by: captainvik
det 43.03 runs like a dog with 3 legs on my system plus the colour saturation is thru the roof.

det 40.71 runs quicker and the image is good

but for gp4 the 30.xx drivers are fastest on my system.

P4 2.85gig Albatron mobo 512mb Corsair3200LL Ram 19"Auriga Mon. SBLive! + 4point surround spkrs. Thrustmaster F1 FF Wheel. Radeon9500pro Cat3.4 drivers. GP4 55fps 1024*768 - No VideoWalls/HeatHaze - Mirrors On.
Date: March 25, 2003 07:35PM
Posted by: marcl
Will These 30.xx drivers work with gforce4 ti42000 with AGPx8
Date: March 26, 2003 12:02AM
Posted by: Chunter
30.xx are designed for geforce 3's ie 3x the 40's are for 4's
as for using them only on high end computers i can't say..mine is so i have no comparison...try downloading nvtweak or coolbits and the such and try to tweak the drivers for your card...plus try running msconfig and services to turn off stuff that you don't need running in the background so that you can free up more ram.
for instance i have 1 gig of 266 ram but only have 2 things running in my msconfig and 35 things in my services..the more ram the merrier...failing that ..and i know its easier said than done...ditch those mx 4 cards..my computer came with one and was way slower than my old 3 ti 200....
Date: March 26, 2003 01:04AM
Posted by: captainvik

Nowhere is it stated by Nvidia that the det 3x.xx drivers are for GF3 and
Det 4x.xx are for Gf4 video cards. I really don't know where you would even get that story Chunter and frankly misinformation like that just leads people to waste alot of time chasing a driver they may not need as their video card maybe running perfectly ?!

But the fact remains that some of us only have Gf2, Gf2mx or Gf4mx cards, and there is no reason to "ditch" them as they do the job quite well.

In my case the only game I play is GrandPrix4 and I had an X-Micro Ti4200 for awhile to play with. For Gp4 on my system it was no faster than the Gf4mx. That is a fact and no use arguing about it.

The other thing that is true, don't just take my word for it as many others can verify, is that there will be a sweet spot if you like for a video card on a given system whereby the card will run at it's optimum speed/performance and constantly getting newer drivers is not really needed as most of the features the newer driver aims at are only in the newer card. You may get a prettier picture as the 4x.xx driver does on my system but at a huge cost in terms of raw 3d speed.

For example my old Hercules GeForce2mx worked best and fastest with the 14.10 driver. And now my ST Lab Gf4mx runs best with the Det 31.00 driver.

People with full blown Gf4's obviously may get better results with newer drivers. Gf3 owners may get better pic quality etc. but I suspect Gf3 owners may come to the same conclusion as I have and find a certain driver in the 3x.xx or 4x.xx series is the peak in terms of speed.

That was the whole point of this thread anyway.... the fastest Det for running Gp4. What holds true for me and my Win98se Pentium 3 system may certainly be different for P4 WinXP owners with Gf4Ti series cards.

So to all you Pentium 3 users running Win98se (because it is the best OS for P3's) AND who only have Gf3, Gf2mx or gf4mx cards...... dont despair and don't go chasing another video card if you only play Gp4 or a few other games.

I think this thread has been very informative in any case.

And I am back to the Detonator 31.00 driver as after exhaustive tests purely on Gp4 I can safely say that no other driver can match the speed in FPS of this driver which runs fast even with 3d sound and mirrors on and I have Quincunx Anti-Aliasing on with no frame hit at all.

I more than happy with my 100 aussie dollar investment for a Gf4mx440 and so glad I did not spend extra 200 odd dollars on a flashier vidcard.
Ciao
Vik :0

P4 2.85gig Albatron mobo 512mb Corsair3200LL Ram 19"Auriga Mon. SBLive! + 4point surround spkrs. Thrustmaster F1 FF Wheel. Radeon9500pro Cat3.4 drivers. GP4 55fps 1024*768 - No VideoWalls/HeatHaze - Mirrors On.
Date: March 26, 2003 03:33AM
jeez where did that come from ? as for the 30x being for geforce 3's i read the information on 3dguru and i believe tweaktown ,not sure,and like i said "its easier said than done" ...
Date: March 26, 2003 08:43AM
Posted by: b-tone
my 2c.

i just went from 41.09 -> 30.82 -> 31.00
the previous 'suggested fps' was 12 or 14. now with 31.00 it recomends 29!!!
yay for me.

it still crashes to dt regularly but maybe thats something to do with my (gp4) installation. i hope.

before the change (ie with 30.82) i added:
CubeMaps=1
wheelSpecular=1
to the cards.txt file and the PO while on the grid dropped from about 155 to 130.

so i'll stick with the 31.00 for now and see if i can fix other things.

my spec:
amd 1.4g
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
win 2k
512ram.

just gotta sort the BO prob now..
:)
Date: March 26, 2003 10:18AM
Posted by: genesis
Try the latest 'Lynx' drivers for any BO problems.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: March 26, 2003 10:30AM
Posted by: JackieStewart
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Sure.

....................I quite like this now.
Date: March 27, 2003 04:05AM
Posted by: sharkhello
how do you turn off v sync?
Date: March 27, 2003 04:45AM
Posted by: jp2
turn vsync off in the detonators options.

and here's my 2 c: i never found a driver running gp3 or gp4 faster than my "old" 12.41, believe it or not. amd950 and gf2 ultra

greetings, jp
Date: March 27, 2003 04:45AM
right click on your desktop..go to properties

when the folder opens go to settings

then click on the advanced tab at the bottom right

then click on your graphic card tab

then click on the open gl settings

you'll see vertical sync there,turn it to always off.

you won't notice much of a graphical difference when you play..but should have a few more frames per second..

if you download coolbits you can also disable it under d3d

Chunter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy