Prost, Senna, Shumacher

Posted by chrislewis 
Prost, Senna, Shumacher
Date: December 22, 2011 10:24PM
Posted by: chrislewis
I have watched the Senna documentary & I have read these forums over the years & I'm confused about the Shumacher hate.

I have the privilege of watching the Senna documentary in Blu Ray so the reproduction is greater than it was at the time. I'll admit to not watching Schumacher before 99 but I have a basic understanding of what went down so I'll appreciate any education on the topic.

1989- Prost knows he will win the championship if Senna doesn't finish.

Prost deliberately shunts Senna near the end of the race.

1994- Schumacher knows he will win the championship if Hill doesn't finish

Schumacher deliberately shunts Hill near the end of the race.

1990- Senna knows he will win the championship if Prost doesn't finish

Senna deliberately shunts Prost in the first corner

1997- Schumacher knows he will win the championship if Villeneueve doesn't finish

Schumacher tries a shunt & fails

If you consider these things what's with all the Schumacher hate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 10:25PM by chrislewis.
Re: Prost, Senna, Shumacher
Date: December 22, 2011 10:44PM
Posted by: IWE
chrislewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have watched the Senna documentary & I have read
> these forums over the years & I'm confused about
> the Shumacher hate.
>
> I have the privilege of watching the Senna
> documentary in Blu Ray so the reproduction is
> greater than it was at the time. I'll admit to
> not watching Schumacher before 99 but I have a
> basic understanding of what went down so I'll
> appreciate any education on the topic.
>
> 1989- Prost knows he will win the championship if
> Senna doesn't finish.
>
> Prost deliberately shunts Senna near the end of
> the race.
>
> 1994- Schumacher knows he will win the
> championship if Hill doesn't finish
>
> Schumacher deliberately shunts Hill near the end
> of the race.
>
> 1990- Senna knows he will win the championship if
> Prost doesn't finish
>
> Senna deliberately shunts Prost in the first
> corner
>
> 1997- Schumacher knows he will win the
> championship if Villeneueve doesn't finish
>
> Schumacher tries a shunt & fails
>
>
>
> If you consider these things what's with all the
> Schumacher hate?

Only reason: He is from Germany and he did beat all possible champions on track (Senna, Prost, Piquet, Hill, Häkkinen, etc..).

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: December 22, 2011 10:49PM
Posted by: gav
I don't think Senna was universally liked before his death. This is only a UK-based opinion (so perhaps influenced by his rivalry with Mansell), but that did seem to be the consensus at the time in these shores.

It was only when Senna died that many seemed to appreciate who and what we'd lost. I think I only really warmed to him during 1993, with his vastly inferior equipment and still managing some sensational wins.

Prost... I don't know... somehow I never rated him. Clearly he was good, but I felt he was like Heidfeld on steroids. For me he didn't do anything interesting, but he nothing interesting extremely well.

Schumacher's reputation isn't just based on what happened in Adelaide and Jerez, but from the team he was in at the time. Benetton's apparent cheating in 1994 (see the recent thread) aligns with Schumacher's style in the eyes of many. As a driver, aside from pressing those buttons in 1994, Schumacher probably isn't any worse than Senna or Prost. Perhaps the rise of the internet discussion throughout his career has helped fuel debate.
Date: December 22, 2011 11:19PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
My personal reason is I get bored if someone wins the championship twice in a row...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: December 23, 2011 12:58AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
In the days of Senna and Prost (and Mansell) people generally liked one of the drivers and, because of the rivalry, disliked the other. They polarised people. So both had plenty who lioved them and plenty who didn't.

Schumacher didn't have the same relationship with his fellow drivers. He had a few brief rivalries: Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, and after that, no one until Alonso really, with a few Montoya skirmishes aside; as a result, there was never quite the same clear divide. It was more you either loved Schumacher or you didn't, but for those who didn't like him, there wasn't really another clear driver to balance the rivalry, because with the exception of Hakkinen, no one could really match Schumacher until Alonso came along.

In some ways, Schumacher's lack of a clear, consistent rival, put with some dubious practices, hurt his reputation because he rarely had to produce scintillating drives to beat his opponents – most of his winning was from out in front by a large margin.

Also, many people have sympathy with Senna's actions in 1990 because of Prost's actions in 1989… But Prost is also hard to dislike because, 1989 aside, he was quite a clean racer (politics aside).

[Website]
Date: December 23, 2011 01:08AM
Posted by: loren
I imagine the fact that he was going against an Englishman was a big part of it. I always felt like even if Benetton were cheating, we know they weren't the only ones in '94, and they were never conclusively found guilty. When Schumi was punished, for the Silverstone thing, it was massively overdone. He would have walked to the championship without that. So its hard to for me to fault him too much for crashing into Damon, which was completely legal. And in '97, well, he got what was coming to him.

Honestly if we're going to be critical about any of those incidents it should be Suzuka 1990. The others all occurred at very low speed corners, the first corner at Suzuka is extremely fast and a Japanese F3000 driver was killed as a result of a collision there a couple years later. But if anything, that is the least criticized of all those incidents.
Date: December 23, 2011 01:25AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I have always seen Adelaide 94 as being taken well out of proportion, Hill shouldn't even have been in that position anyway.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: December 23, 2011 02:12AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I always hated Schumacher for Adelaide and then loved him for his attempt at Jerez. Which probably sums up my credentials as a Briton.

Once I'd got over him being a dirty German who took out my second-favourite British driver at Adelaide, he rather earned my respect by beating everyone in front of him. And even if you choose to believe it was never a "level playing field" (as if Formula 1 is ever that!) and that Schumacher had an unfair advantage, you have to remember how he got that - because he convinced others that he was better than everyone else. Which, for ten years, he plainly was.

[Website]
Date: December 23, 2011 11:00AM
Posted by: danm
The way I see it, Schumacher was either banned or disqualified for four of those races in 1994.

Regardless of what happened in Adelaide, had he not lost out, he would have wrapped that title up four races sooner.

Hill was never going to win that year, and because he got so close (due to the nature of Schumacher's setbacks) I think the Adelaide incident was blown WAY out of proportion.

People treat it as the be all and end all that cost Hill that title. Yes, in some ways it did, it was his golden chance, but he was definitely not the man of the year at all. If Hill did win in 1994, people would blow the Schumacher bans out of proportion too.

Either way, the scales tip one way or the other.

Schumacher just played the game that everyone does.

If you play cards and get a sneaky peak of the other persons cards, do you tell? Probably not.

You roll the dice and it hits the floor, landing halfway between 2 and 6. You say it is six, right? Or it lands on 1, so you pick it up and roll again. It went on the floor so doesn't count!

Games are always exploited until firm rules are put in place.

It happened before Schumacher. It will happen after Schumacher.

The reason people are angry about it so much, is because point blank, Schumacher is a real genius at bending rules and exploiting loopholes and getting away with it.

Hats off to a skill there.

Competition is about pushing limits. Pushign things until they break. Athletes train as hard and fast as they can. To be better. To win more.

Athletes might sprain an ankle running too hard. Dislocate an arm stretching a bit too far. Work out how much you can do, and what the limit is before something doesn't work.

Schumacher pushed the boundary himself a little further. He got away with it in 1994. He tried a bit more in 1997, and didn't get away. That was his equivalent of an athletics injury. That's sport for you.

Find your limits. Push the limits. Strive for better.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 11:07AM by danm.
Date: December 23, 2011 11:26AM
Posted by: J i m
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> I have always seen Adelaide 94 as being taken well
> out of proportion, Hill shouldn't even have been
> in that position anyway.

Indeed, if you look at it objectively then there was no way Hill could have overtaken Schumacher at that point, schumacher was anead he ha the racing lime, damaged car or not. That incident was as much as an error from Hill (because he wasn't far enough alongside Schumacher to claim the corner) as it was a transgression from Schumacher (and it was definitely very rude driving by Schumacher).

Hill himself has admitted that he was naive to go for the gap, but equally it's easy to use hindsight to say he should have waited.

I've long put it down to a slightly aggrivated racing incident, but the real reason it was blown out of all proportion because it was OMFG Germany v Britain - The war! Etc

Date: December 23, 2011 11:37AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I think the Schumacher hate is due to the fact he and Ferrari had some dodgy calls made in their favor, the clear #1 status complete with team orders, the illegal 1994 car, and the deliberate drive-into-people moves.
Date: December 23, 2011 05:25PM
Posted by: Slash
Prost - 5 letter word
Senna - 5 letter word
Schumacher - 10 letter word

double the letters, double the championships, double the hate
Date: December 23, 2011 10:41PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Prost - 4 titles
Senna - 3 titles

Schumacher - 7 titles

So not only does the number of letters in the surnames add up to Schumacher's (10) but the titles too (7)
Date: December 23, 2011 11:25PM
Posted by: gav
And they're all F1 drivers too!
Date: December 24, 2011 01:28AM
Posted by: mortal

Don't mention the war!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 24, 2011 01:37AM
Posted by: chrislewis
Thanks for the insight guys.

I have to agree with you Gav about rise of discussion boards. I have seen some sportspeople entire records be rewritten on other forums.

Date: December 24, 2011 01:41AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
mortal Wrote:
> [img14.imageshack.us]
>
>
> Don't mention the war!

No no no, Mister Fawlty...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: December 24, 2011 01:51AM
Posted by: davidm
mortal Wrote:
> [img14.imageshack.us]
>
>
> Don't mention the war!

No no no, Mister Fawlty...

Just seen again on Virgin - how do they get away with it - not just Germans but what about his reaction to the coloured doctor at the beginning of the episode? The episodes don't seem quite as funny now. Maybe its the passage of time.
Date: December 24, 2011 03:45AM
Posted by: EC83
Screw Fawlty Towers. It made me laugh when I was 12, but now it seems ridiculously dated and out of touch with reality.
The cheesy 70s comedy which I think has gone full circle and become funny again is Some Mothers Do Ave Em. Frank Spencer is an actual comedy legend IMO. The blend of outrageous campness, constant dropping of innuendos and ability to annoy other people is epic, before you even consider his main character trait as a walking disaster zone.

Date: December 24, 2011 06:51AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> I don't think Senna was universally liked before
> his death.

Definitely not. I for one had a major problem with him to begin with(From when I started watching F1 in 1989 up till the end of '92) because of his rivalry with Mansell(My hero at the time) and his tendency to be involved in various incidents, which it always seemed he was the cause of. That and his annoying(for a non-fan) habit of winning a lot. While I was always aware he was a @#$%& good driver and there was something mystical and other-worldly about him, if you weren't a fan it only seemed to make him easier to hate.
My attitude towards him changed, too, in '93. With Mansell out of F1 and Prost(Who I'd disliked since 1990 because of the Ferrari politics that season) back, suddenly Senna no longer seemed dislikeable, and I couldn't help but see him in a different light. I wanted to see Prost beaten if at all possible, and obviously Senna was the driver to support in that case. (I also had an added massive problem with Prost because of the way he'd tried to guarantee himself the title by booking himself the Williams seat - even at the time I thought that was shocking.) It didn't hurt my new appreciation of Senna that his string of stunning drives in the opening races of that season took him into a clear Championship lead over Prost either. By the end of '93 I'd actually become a huge fan, big enough of a fan to have my heart ripped to shreds by Imola '94. I think Senna was the most polarising of all the drivers of that era, because of his arrogance, charisma and mystique. They helped you to love him or hate him, depending what you thought of him in the first place, and I think a lot of Brits(and maybe other Europeans) disliked him for most of his career at least.
One good example I've just remembered: The "Grand Prix 94" magazine that came out at the beginning of 1994(I still have a copy of it somewhere I think). The headline was "Senna: Man Or Monster?" - I think that's at least an indication of the public's opinion of him TBH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 07:14AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy