Blown exhaust sound

Posted by flat tyre 
Blown exhaust sound
Date: October 10, 2011 06:29PM
Posted by: flat tyre
We all know that the blown exhausts make the car sound 'sick', but I just found a video that shows just how sick it really does sound. I never imagined it would be anything like this. Each car has it's own distinctive sound, too.

On TV it's really not too bad, but after seeing this, I'm not sure if I like the thought of hearing this when I go to a GP!! Did they say that these were going to be banned, or are they still going to be on future cars?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: Blown exhaust sound
Date: October 10, 2011 07:11PM
Posted by: gav
flat tyre
Did they say that these were going to be banned, or are they still going to be on future cars?

They're banned for next year thankfully. Apparently the exhausts have to be top-mounted.
Date: October 10, 2011 10:12PM
Posted by: Monza972
Sauber doesn't sound so bad but the Red Bulls are ouch!
Date: October 10, 2011 10:25PM
Posted by: Carlitox
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're banned for next year thankfully.
> Apparently the exhausts have to be top-mounted.

AFAIK they can be anywhere, they won't be allowed to have an aerodynamic effect on the car.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: October 10, 2011 10:53PM
Posted by: chet
Nope, Gav is right. There be a zone at the rear, above the sidepods where they will exit from. It will defined in the regs I guess.

Brawn's argument was that where ever the exhausts are, they will have an induced aero effect...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 11, 2011 12:08AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Ah was looking for a video like this! I like it LOL

Date: October 11, 2011 03:01AM
Posted by: matt3454
I went to spa earlier in the year, and while i don't remember them sounding this bad i do remember the renault engined cars sounding horrible (especially the two lotus', they black & gold lotus sounded the worst).

Date: October 11, 2011 11:50AM
Posted by: marwood82
the lotus sounded by far and away the worst at the nurburgring this year.
Date: October 11, 2011 02:44PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, I was at Melbourne, before most teams had really developed their blown diffusers, and before I'd really trained my ear to identify the sound, but the Renault definitely sounded the worst back then.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 11, 2011 08:05PM
Posted by: EC83
It's unusual for me since I usually have a purist attitude to F1, but I don't mind the sound. It's something that sounds different on different cars, a bit like the 1st generation of traction control did once most of the grid used it, so it actually creates individuality in an era when it's otherwise difficult to tell the sound of one particular car from the rest.
And yeah, with the design of Renault exhausts it stands to reason if they sound particularly bad/distinctive.

Date: October 24, 2011 09:56PM
Posted by: slicer
I actually quite like the sound. It adds a bit of "muscle" to the sound, in my honest and humble opinion (imh&ho).

-------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you for noticing I am the most amazing being in the galaxy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy