New York Grand Prix 2013

Posted by mortal 
New York Grand Prix 2013
Date: October 24, 2011 10:00PM
Posted by: mortal
Apparently a deal has been done with an official announcement today. The street race will be in Weehawken, alongside the Hudson River with the New York city skyline as a backdrop.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: New York Grand Prix 2013
Date: October 25, 2011 01:53AM
Posted by: matt3454
Awesome if true. If they can get it in back to back weeks with Montreal then this would make a perfect holiday!

Date: October 25, 2011 10:27AM
Posted by: gav
Awesome so long as a classic track (such as Montreal) isn't removed to make way for it.

Losing another Tilke track wouldn't disappoint me so much, although if it ends up being another Valencia (and there's plenty of potential looking at the intended track layout) then I'm sure most members here would be able to hear my vocal chords explode.
Date: October 25, 2011 11:07AM
Posted by: mortal
Post the layout if you've seen it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 25, 2011 11:52AM
Posted by: EC83
Can't find any up-to-date pictures of the layout, so not sure yet what it might look like. Hopefully it won't be too Tilke-fied. This is awesome news though! Looks like we'll get a US GP East and US GP West again.

And on a side note, the Eastern one will be held in the home State of Bon Jovi! :D

Date: October 25, 2011 12:28PM
Someone posted it on Twitter a couple of days ago (I think it was Adam Cooper or another of the Autosport feeds). That one had a Google Earth overlay (it looks quite lush... except for the the carpark section) as well as the track map.

Anyway, the basic track map is here. It might be an old one, but as of a couple of days ago it appeared to still be the proposed layout.

Edit: It's not the one I saw earlier, though it is the same layout. Someone on the Autosport forums posted this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 12:40PM by gav.
Date: October 25, 2011 06:05PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I have mixed feelings about this.

Firstly, surely it would be better to give the Austin event more time to develop. If you look at the Austin track compared to New Jersey, the latter is located in a more glamourous locale. This means that most or all of the corporates will go to New Jersey, and many overseas tourists and even Americans will possibly be more inclined to choose New Jersey for the better spectacle.

Also, I still don't think that any country should have more than one race. If they want to build up the American market, they should first go to Mexico and Argentina, which creates a bigger list of races on the American time zone, but also expands F1 further.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 25, 2011 11:09PM
Posted by: hasbriale
Very Interesting... This is News..... :-O

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 11:13PM by hasbriale.
Date: October 25, 2011 11:38PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I don't have mixed feelings about this.

It'll be narrow and twisty and slippery and fun to watch. I don't give a flying @#$%& about Austin - this is where the real racing will be as Hermann Tilke hasn't had his grubby fingers anywhere near it.

Let's hope it goes ahead!

SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I still don't think that any country should
> have more than one race. If they want to build up
> the American market, they should first go to
> Mexico and Argentina, which creates a bigger list
> of races on the American time zone, but also
> expands F1 further.

Germany, Spain and Italy had two GPs for years - as in the past have Japan and the UK. The US has massive market potential, if you're going to have two races at any country in the world it might as well be there.

Which brings me to my next train of thought: which GPs are going to go? Let's get rid of Bahrain, Korea and China. Turkey has already gone the journey, Barcelona is pants, as is Malaysia. Sooooo many @#$%& tracks to choose from...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 11:46PM by loque.
Date: October 26, 2011 12:11AM
loque
It'll be narrow and twisty and slippery and fun to watch.

Yes, it looks to be narrow and slippery, but the twisty bits look just like Valencia - a track made up of pointless flat-out random curves which serve no purpose in the dry, and will make a nightmare in the wet with endless safety cars. If half of the proposed New Jersey track is like that, then the other half better be @#$%& good... and the fact that it currently has a car park in it is hardly promising.

The track layout does apparently vary in altitude quite a bit, so that much is positive, and being mainly public road, it should be bumpy and at least a little challenging, like Singapore.

I have to say overall I'm wary. America hardly has a great history of producing classic street circuits for F1, and while the area is a million miles from Dallas and Phoenix, I'm very much going to keep my expectations very low until proven otherwise, as America doesn't even deserve the reserving of expectations.
Date: October 26, 2011 07:41AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
loque Wrote:
> I don't have mixed feelings about this.
>
> It'll be narrow and twisty and slippery and fun to
> watch. I don't give a flying @#$%& about Austin -
> this is where the real racing will be as Hermann
> Tilke hasn't had his grubby fingers anywhere near
> it.
>
> Let's hope it goes ahead!

Well maybe we shouldn't be going to Austin then?

loque Wrote:
> Germany, Spain and Italy had two GPs for years -
> as in the past have Japan and the UK. The US has
> massive market potential, if you're going to have
> two races at any country in the world it might as
> well be there.

True, but that was a time when there wasn't much demand for calendar spots. At the moment, there are so many countries that want in on the calendar, and not all can fit.

loque Wrote:
> Which brings me to my next train of thought: which
> GPs are going to go? Let's get rid of Bahrain,
> Korea and China. Turkey has already gone the
> journey, Barcelona is pants, as is Malaysia.
> Sooooo many @#$%& tracks to choose from...

That's a very short-sighted view of the world you have if you want to add another American race to replace China.

Also, that's very unfair on Sepang, which is a great track. Hopefully Spain loses one of its races ASAP.

I just hope Australia can remain on the calendar!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 26, 2011 08:01AM
Posted by: Gigi4
Found on Facebook

Date: October 26, 2011 11:14AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
SchueyFan Wrote:

> True, but that was a time when there wasn't much
> demand for calendar spots. At the moment, there
> are so many countries that want in on the
> calendar, and not all can fit.
>
> That's a very short-sighted view of the world you
> have if you want to add another American race to
> replace China.
>
> Also, that's very unfair on Sepang, which is a
> great track. Hopefully Spain loses one of its
> races ASAP.

Well obviously a lot of that is my own personal opinion :P

I don't subscribe to the notion that we should visit as many separate countries as possible though, just because it's a "world championship". If X country has two amazing circuits then why not use them both to boost the excitement of the sport instead of losing one and moving to a new track in Y country, which is lifeless and @#$%& built in an area with no interest in F1? Obviously the answer is "money" but there's only so much the sport can gain on one side and lose in popularity on the other.

Also, Sepang as a circuit is great but unless it rains the races are boring. I don't personally like boring races, and China, Bahrain, Turkey all produce these even though as circuits they are pretty good.

There are lots of circuits we could use instead of building these soulless venues in the middle of deserts/paddy fields/fenland/what have you - such as the new circuit in the Algarve, the US to be fair already has loads of circuits we could use once they're updated a bit - Elkhart Lake, Mid Ohio, Laguna Seca. I wouldn't mind having three races in the US (or any country) if the three races were exciting to watch.

But circuits like Abu Dhabi, Sakhir, Korea etc don't really do anything for me. Just my 2p.
Date: October 26, 2011 11:21AM
loque
this is where the real racing will be as Hermann Tilke hasn't had his grubby fingers anywhere near it.

It is a Tilke track.

OK, it's a pre-defined street circuit, so we'll get a chance to see just how well he can @#$%& up a layout that's already there.
Date: October 26, 2011 12:01PM
Posted by: danm
Trouble is these new venues are all about the $$$.

If they can be built for xxx billion, and generate that money back somehow, then they have done their job.

Racing seems to be secondary to cash right now.

Why race at an old track that we already know for a weekend visit, when you can get the fan into buying an entire holiday package involving that country too, instead?

I know, to the die-hard fan, we don't care for what it is like to visit so much.

But sadly, that's not how it works, nor how the decisions are made.

Kinda crazy too, considering how wealthy Bernie is.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 26, 2011 02:39PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
But Bernie thinks when he has a certain amount of money he will be immortal.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: October 26, 2011 04:25PM
Posted by: samson
i love the skyline from ny without the twins towers.pls give me a grand prix in this "city".

i see the pictures from the peoples on this circuit,fat and dumb.pls give me this!
Date: October 26, 2011 07:37PM
Posted by: Slash
samson Wrote:
> i love the skyline from ny without the twins
> towers.pls give me a grand prix in this "city".
>
> i see the pictures from the peoples on this
> circuit,fat and dumb.pls give me this!

WTF?

lol
Date: October 26, 2011 08:52PM
Posted by: hasbriale

loque
this is where the real racing will be as Hermann Tilke hasn't had his grubby fingers anywhere near it.

Yepp.. Tilke did manage to get his grubby... whatever over it......... lol (N)

Track looks like Canada in some form.... Nothing like it of course...

You cannot be sure or what its future really is until there is an actual GP run on it...

And we have only managed to lose Max.... Bernie and Tilke are still around for the time being.. (N)

Hopefully not for long... ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 03:21AM by hasbriale.
Date: October 27, 2011 01:49AM
Posted by: ipswich2007
New jersey not new york :p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy