Williams Renault for 2012 OFFICIAL!

Posted by danm 
Williams Renault for 2012 OFFICIAL!
Date: July 04, 2011 07:37PM
Posted by: danm
YEAHHHHHHHHHH!

[www.gpupdate.net]

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 07:45PM by danm.
Re: williams renault for 2012 OFFICIAL!
Date: July 04, 2011 07:41PM
Posted by: chet
Ahhhh!!!

"Jenson Button signs for Williams for 2012" would make this more awesome!

But there is something seriously special about the words, Williams-Renault!

Rumours of Renault wanting a stake in Williams too are even more promising :D! Dead excited for how this could all turn out! But they have good engines, now its time to build a good chassis!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Williams Renault for 2012 OFFICIAL!
Date: July 05, 2011 02:26PM
just you and I at this party Chet!

Date: July 05, 2011 07:59PM
Posted by: nvooght
Well as a Williams fan im hopeful that the new engine and partnership can be a success, podium finishes would be nice next year certainly doesnt look like one will happen this season.

Date: July 05, 2011 08:14PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
As a long time Williams fan as well, I am happy, but keeping that happiness in check. The car has been the let down so far, not the Cosworth engine, and this isn't suddenly going to be an instant success in 12 months.

While a new technical direction is good, 2 out of the 3 new recruits haven't been in F1 in a good few years, but the link up with a manufacturer should generate more commercial sponsorship opportunities and Renault, now not a team in F1, will be pushing this side of the business to get as much publicity as possible.

Date: July 05, 2011 11:14PM
Posted by: J i m
This definitely isn't going to transform the team. But it's a positive move all the same. For 2 years at least they'll have an engine that is proven to be equal to the best, so there's no question of it being any-kind of weak link. What's more positive, assuming the option for 2013/14 is taken up is that Renault are probably in a far better position to develop the 1.6 V6 Turbo than Cosworth are.

However, the major problem is that the best chassis team belongs to Red Bull, and they also have Renault engines.

Date: July 06, 2011 10:16AM
Was it not common knowledge that the engine was the achilies heel for Williams since BMW left?

Date: July 06, 2011 02:07PM
Posted by: gareth
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was it not common knowledge that the engine was
> the achilies heel for Williams since BMW left?

So what was their Achilles heel while they had BMW? ;)

In all seriousness, nostalgia wins the day! Williams Renault. Brilliant!
Date: July 06, 2011 02:52PM
Well I wouldn't say there was a massive issue or achilies heel with the BMW engine or Williams Chassis, their success was quite good in such a short time. Teams need a grace period to develop, like Red Bull/Renault have done.

Not forgetting how dominant Ferrari were around the time Williams has BMW, they were hardly bad.

The problems were allegedly down to later politics. Thiessen fell sour when Button-gate didn't pull through. Frank didn't really want Heidfeld. Williams tried to be radical and failed with the walrus nose. Hats off to them for trying to be different. But it all boiled up after a few years of light success and BMW left to pursue their own venture through impatience.

Frank blamed BMW for not having a decent enough engine. Thiessen blamed the Williams chassis.

The early wins and podiums with BMW were promising. The turnaround for the team in the state that it was in the years after they won the constructors championship was a slight downfall, only to pick up again when BMW joined in.

You have to think that if they had stayed and worked through the political issues, what could have been...

They should have had BMW power up until 2009 or so, before they left to buy Sauber out.

It was simply impatience. Ferrari were winning EVERYTHING. BMW wanted results. Immediately.

I guess they realised you can't click your fingers and expect.

Still, Williams Renault is good for countless reasons. They are an engineering team. They will come good again.

Date: July 06, 2011 04:44PM
Posted by: J i m
No... I don't think Williams have had a weak engine in a very long time.

Even when it was the old Renault, branded as a Mecachrome or Supertec, it was far from weak. The BMW developed into a very good engine very quickly, The Cosworth was always respectable enough and the Toyota was always probably a better engine than the chassis it powered, including the Toyota chassis.

Date: July 06, 2011 06:43PM
Posted by: nvooght
I thought the Toyota engine was generally accepted to be the worst (least powerful) on the grid at the time...

BMW were more succesful when they were teamed with Williams than when they tried to do it on their own despite the 2007-2009 period having a single dominant team.

So one wonders how Williams would have done in 2006 onwards if they had BMW...

That said i dont think the chassis in recent years have been something to shout about, excluding maybe the 2009 car.

Date: July 06, 2011 07:03PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
The Toyota engine was indeed weak, where the '06 Cosworth suffered from a poor installation more than anything else.

The biggest clue with the Toyota? Check out Williams results for Monza with the Toyota engine then check out how they did last season with a change of engine supplier. The Cosworth engine is indeed a pretty good unit, and that has always been stated. The Williams drivers at the start of 2010 said it was immediately better than the Toyota unit in all areas.

The BMW era is abit hard to gauge, because Williams still had some pretty talented engineers like Gavin Fisher working on the chassis side and there was more of a difference in engine power and overall performance than we have now. The current V8 units don't have a lot of difference due to the development freeze on them and the limited revs allowed. If it really did make a difference then Team Lotus would be flying in the midfield or more.

So Williams need the chassis more than the engine difference, that much is true.

Date: July 06, 2011 08:13PM
Posted by: gav
nvooght
I thought the Toyota engine was generally accepted to be the worst (least powerful) on the grid at the time...

It was probably one of the least powerful, but many accept that currently the least powerful engine is the Renault and has been for some time (maybe Honda excepted)... yet it won both titles last year. It's not all about power.
Date: July 06, 2011 11:33PM
its a balance of both chassis and engine, and we would never be able to tell what was weighted more, so we will be here to eternity hypothesizing.

but one thing must be noted regarding engines - look at what difference the mercedes hash job did versus the box honda for brawn (diffuser not included).

Date: July 07, 2011 08:12AM
Posted by: gav
danm
but one thing must be noted regarding engines - look at what difference the mercedes hash job did versus the box honda for brawn (diffuser not included).

I that had more to do with Honda abandoning their 2008 car in order to fully concentrate on the 2009 car months before anyone else did. ;-)

Though of course the Merc was a million miles ahead of the Honda - indeed it is probably still the best all-round engine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy