chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was..special. Right now, for me that win
> means as much as his whole wdc! That meant a lot
> to me! More tomorrow when I'm at my computer
> though! Button was class. That win > all his, and
> damon hills wins, jv's wins, and juan pablos
> poles, combined!

A win handed to him by several SCs and a mistake by Vettel.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Re: Canadian GP ***Spoilers***
Date: June 13, 2011 03:26AM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
[www.mirror.co.uk]

can this guy just shut the hell up and just drive?
Date: June 13, 2011 03:29AM
Posted by: Slash
Vader Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That was..special. Right now, for me that win
> > means as much as his whole wdc! That meant a
> lot
> > to me! More tomorrow when I'm at my computer
> > though! Button was class. That win > all his,
> and
> > damon hills wins, jv's wins, and juan pablos
> > poles, combined!
>
> A win handed to him by several SCs and a mistake
> by Vettel

lmao, a mistake because he was so comfortable that he lost concentration?, or was a mistake induced by the pressure Jenson put on him?

elpasho2005f1 Wrote:
> [www.mirror.co.uk]
> 2/lewis-hamilton-i-ll-never-be-dirty-like-michael-
> schumacher-115875-23196700/
>
>
> can this guy just shut the hell up and just drive?

liegate, nuff said!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 05:09AM by Slash.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:37AM
Posted by: EC83
Hahahahaaaaa, that was awesome :D
I've recently become a photographer at a well-known live music venue in Dundee. Tonight they had an event on from 8PM-11PM, and I was expecting to watch the race at home and for the race to be done before I headed down there to take photos. However, they have WiFi at the bar. After about an hour of red-flag time I grabbed my laptop and shot down there and set the laptop up at the bar just as the field was starting for the 2nd time behind the SC, and full-screened the live stream. It turned out that a whole bunch of people at the gig were also F1 fans. During the last 10 laps or so there were about 7 people(including me when I wasn't rushing quickly away to take band/crowd photos) gathered round the laptop going nuts as the action unfolded. And most of them were Jenson fans too. What a last lap!! Not watched a Grand Prix like that before. Brilliant! :D

Regarding my opinion of the race itself, an absolute cracker anyway, and I think it can be no coincidence that all the wet/dry races recently(especially the red-flagged ones) have been something special.

Great recovery drive from Jenson, and a brilliant drive from MS too, without doubt the best one since his comeback IMO. Just a shame that his car wasn't quick enough to enable him to stay in the top 3 or even to challenge for the win, as he looked like he might do at one point.

Date: June 13, 2011 04:08AM
Posted by: Slash
great drive from Jenson and Michael.. Jenson now puts himself as Vettel's main rival, i hope he sorts out qualy's... Michael is now tied with Rosberg in points.. even ahead... let's see how this ends!!

go Michael, you're kicking ass!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 04:41AM by Slash.
Date: June 13, 2011 08:48AM
Posted by: gav
I have to commend the stewards for their treatment of the Button/Alonso incident. There's a document from the stewards up on the FIA website detailing why he wasn't penalised, and it's refreshing to see, rather than just the usual "no further action necessary" they stick up there. Same for the Button/Hamilton incident.

I agree with them about both. In the Alonso one, Button made a genuine attempt to avoid Alonso and Alonso made a genuine attempt to leave him space. @#$%& happens.

I have to say that I thought Button's race was run. Hie right-front had some extreme negative camber on his return to the pits, but apparently it was just the tyre that had been popped off the rim, or the rim itself broken.

Shame for Vettel, as he didn't do an awful lot wrong in that race, but then he wasn't exactly epic either, if a car involved in 2 incidents, 6 pit-stops and from last position can beat him, regardless of safety cars. It was his race to lose throughout, and he duly did so. He still increased his overall lead in the championship, so I doubt he lost too much sleep last night.
Date: June 13, 2011 11:16AM
Posted by: Vader
Slash Wrote:
> Vader Wrote:
> -----
> > chet Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > That was..special. Right now, for me that win
> > > means as much as his whole wdc! That meant a
> > lot
> > > to me! More tomorrow when I'm at my computer
> > > though! Button was class. That win > all his,
> > and
> > > damon hills wins, jv's wins, and juan pablos
> > > poles, combined!
> >
> > A win handed to him by several SCs and a
> mistake
> > by Vettel.
>
> lmao, a mistake because he was so comfortable that
> he lost concentration?, or was a mistake induced
> by the pressure Jenson put on him?
>

A mistake due to driving at the limit for so long. It happens to everyone sooner or later. Usually no big deal, in this race decisive.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 13, 2011 11:23AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I have to commend the stewards for their treatment of the Button/Alonso incident.

Meanwhile, di Resta was penalised for taking himself out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 13, 2011 12:11PM
Posted by: Nickv
elpasho2005f1 Schreef:
> [www.mirror.co.uk]
> 2/lewis-hamilton-i-ll-never-be-dirty-like-michael-
> schumacher-115875-23196700/
>
>
> can this guy just shut the hell up and just drive?

He's clearly frustrated. He's had everything handed to him on a golden plate for his entire carreer. He's never had bad times, he's never had a car that's simply not quick enough. He simply doesn't know what to do when it doesn't go his way. The latter part of 2010 showed that with multiple silly collisions (Monza springs to mind). It's the same now. He knows he can be a winner, but he's held back by his car and therefore tries to compensate, but can't and overdrives. This results in silly moves that are drenched with arrogance and megalomania.

If he really continues with his so-called 'agressive' (read stupid) approach, he's still going to get that multiple race ban sooner or later.
Date: June 13, 2011 12:31PM
Posted by: marcl
Come on its in the Mirror which is just as bad as the Sun :)

He has been cleared of everything from Canada and even the race stewards said Lewis had a run on Button who did not see him.

The only silly move was against webber and both drivers lost out. But Webber was stupid last year in Australia and did not get called dangerous etc.

I guess I started watching F1 in the 80's so am used to a lot worse than what I am seeing now. If drivers like Burger and Alesi were racing now there would be outrage.
Date: June 13, 2011 12:42PM
I'm not that into UK newspapers :P

My view on it is not so much based on that one article, more on the general driving behaviour we've seen from him lately. He's very often been called to the stewards and while they're stricter these days than they used to be, it's hardly a coincendence.

His only mistake yesterday was that with Webber and that has been cleared. And while it has been, he's been involved in many incidents lately and not all of them weren't his mistake. He needs to get his act together.
Date: June 13, 2011 01:02PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Fun fact - the last 8 sessions have all been red flagged. A record?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 13, 2011 01:18PM
Posted by: torana_05
wow what a race finally got home from work and see the recording. was so hoping that schumi got a podium. great to se him fighting for podiums. couldnt believe that vettel binned it on the last lap. who needs technical innovations when you have rain.

Date: June 13, 2011 01:28PM
flat tyre Schreef:
> Fun fact - the last 8 sessions have all been red
> flagged. A record?

Alexf1man will know :P
Date: June 13, 2011 02:04PM
Lets all face it though as much as the win was fantastic a few of them were saved by the red flag and safety cars. In a normal race Button would have lost nearly a lap after the crash with Alonso, its the same with a few of them tbh.

But it was the same for everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 02:10PM by marcl.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:33PM
Posted by: Morbid
marcl Wrote:
> I guess I started watching F1 in the 80's so am
> used to a lot worse than what I am seeing now. If
> drivers like Burger and Alesi were racing now
> there would be outrage.

Have you seen the reaction from Massa, to the HRT that he passed and where he subsequently lost control and smashed his car? The car didn't even touch him. He took himself out, yet he is seething.

At Le Mans Audi had 2 accidents that were both caused by cars several classes lower than theirs, and the accidents themselves were x10 worse and by far more dangerous. They had 1 car left that fought it's way to victory, passing many "HRT's" without incident during those 24 hours. Yet the reactions from Audi, that I have seen, are milder than Massa's.

sheesh, F1 drivers these days, together with many of their fans, have become a bunch of entitled limp-wristed ballerinas.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:40PM
Again back in the day slower cars did not move off the racing line, front runners had to pass them and thats how it should be. Its a skill drivers should have, this rubbish blue flag stuff takes away some of the action.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:43PM
Posted by: Morbid
As far as I know, all this cursing, swearing, blaming and hand waving at slower cars, is the invention of Senna. Before him, other drivers understood that slower cars had a right to race too.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:55PM
Posted by: danm
Katayama unlapping himself past Damon Hill springs to mind.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 13, 2011 03:59PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Before him, other drivers understood that slower cars had a right to race too.

It existed long before that though. Jack Brabham once got so annoyed at a back marker that after he overtook him, he put his outside wheel onto the grass to kick up stones and dirt into the face of the driver behind, and that was after giving him the finger on the way passed. But then again, Jack was known to do that to cars trying to pass him to. We seem to have this thought of all the drivers in the 50s and 60s being sportsmen who all cared about each others safety in a dangerous time, but in reality some of them didn't, and some were morons just like today.

Senna may have popularised it, but it was certainly not a new phenomenon.

As for Massas accident, I don't really see what the HRT did wrong. Massa just lost it on slicks on a wet part of the track, and given Massas history of hilarity in wet conditions, I don't see why anyone is surprised by that. But it should also be considered that the HRTs were outside the 107% of the pole time, and only the big teams holding back in Q1 is keeping them in the race. We have cars which are the slowest in F1 for over a decade, and they are only being allowed to race because other teams hold back because of the nature of the current qualifying. So there is an argument to be made that HRT are too slow and shouldn't be there anyway. Not that it excuses Massa from another moment of stupidity.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy