just decided to share with you guys.....

Posted by mitadumapaga 
just decided to share with you guys.....
Date: April 24, 2011 08:25PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i just watched the 1990 gp of phoenix and the senna - alesi battle. and i wanted to say how much i just miss the years when a middle pack team could do miracles (like wins and podiums). also how a weak team could have been brought right up there with the rest................ something we will probably never ever see again. :( the last farcry of this was probably vettels win at the 2008 monza gp
Re: just decided to share with you guys.....
Date: April 24, 2011 08:54PM
Posted by: gav
2007. ;-)

There were several reasons.
1) driving talent mattered more
2) that there were multiple tyre suppliers - the main reason Alesi managed to get to such a position but also being the reason he didn't win
3) mechanical gremlins and tracks WHICH ACTUALLY PUNISHED MISTAKES (are you reading this Tilke?) meant it was rare for there to more than a dozen finishers in a race
Date: April 24, 2011 10:21PM
Posted by: kimiraik
2008 :P
Date: April 24, 2011 11:06PM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2007. ;-)

Gav, you're not actually saying Vettel won Monza 2007? :-/

Regarding the tracks, those definitely have played a part. Just recently I've watched some videos of BBC F1 coverage from the early 80s, including the 1981 German GP on the(almost) original layout and, yesterday, the 1980 US GP East at Watkins Glen. Back then tracks were so much more demanding and surely fun to drive, showing up driver talent and making for much better racing too.
Hockenheim pre-1982, for example, was just epic.

Date: April 24, 2011 11:14PM
Posted by: gav
EC83
Gav, you're not actually saying Vettel won Monza 2007? :-/

Bugger. ;)

Sorry mita!

Note to self: don't rely on memory when trying to be cheeky.
Date: April 24, 2011 11:49PM
Posted by: flat tyre
But the reason that it's so special when a small team fights for a podium is because it's so rare.

Remember Force India in 2009? They were on 0 points for over half the season, then Fizzy suddenly put it on pole at Spa, and nearly won. The following race, Sutil came very close to doing the same thing. Then, after that, they were back to their normal midfield selves. They didn't score any more points that season.

These things usually happen when a car has characteristics that makes it slow at most tracks, but unusually quick at others. This is what happened to Force India in 2009, because their car was good in a straight line (as far as I know).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: April 25, 2011 12:07AM
Posted by: loren
Manual gearboxes really separated the drivers. F3 is probably the only open-wheel category with any sort of manual gearbox anymore. I don't mind F1 having semi-autos (actually, I would love if they totally opened it up to CVTs or whatever else the teams could dream up), but the idea that you could get to F1 without ever learning to shift gears yourself is crazy.
Date: April 25, 2011 09:22AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I think that all the teams were much less professional in those days, which meant that the performance of the teams varied so much throughout the year.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 25, 2011 11:58PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
About the Phoenix race, when you have a Dallara, a Minardi and a Tyrrell qualifying ahead of Senna, and Grouillard in an Osella less than 1/10s behind Prost in a Ferrari you really know that something was happening with those Pirelli tyres. In all my years of watching motorsport I don't think I have ever seen such an odd looking grid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: April 26, 2011 12:23AM
Posted by: truecrysis
Ah come on, the US grand prix of 2005 must be the wierdest looking grid anyone has ever seen? ;)

On the original topic, i agree it is partly the tracks, certain more modern tracks, whilst they can be fun to drive, really don't help the less developed teams.
But its also to do with the safety and standards of racing these days personally. The gap between a new team and the teams already in has got bigger as F1 has got safer. In the older days, racing was much more on the edge, retirements were higher, so the equivalents of lotus and virgin would be able to snatch some points on the off day, and have special days where they somehow end up faster than established teams. But as racing gets safer and safer such as it is today, the gap between teams like sauber/williams, and teams like virgin/lotus/hrt is big.

Then again, i wasn't really alive so thats just based of of what ive seen of highlights. But no, i believe the days of the weaker teams springing a surprise will be few and far between

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: April 26, 2011 08:29AM
Posted by: thestig88
People criticised the new teams last year for being too slow but if you go back to the 80's, cars were regulary 10+ secs off the pace and no-one whinged about it being dangerous, and even in the mid 90's Minardi's, Tyrrells & Fortis etc were routinely 5-6 secs off the pace.

I would quite happily go back to some of the older tracks, have more (and perhaps less professional) teams.
Date: April 26, 2011 12:31PM
Posted by: danm
Basically, today is too clinical. Everything is so engineered to perfection, it becomes rare to find faults, and errors when they do occur get fixed, or revised immediately. It's so autonymous, it is killing character.

Character being that of diversity and variation.

Like the food we eat. The architecture we move within. Roads we travel. TV shows we watch.

It's all slowly becoming functional over form.

I heavily leant on this debate to kingdom come all through my gcse art years, to a levels right into my architecture degree and into work in the office now.

Todays world is so clean-cut, the rules and everything is merging to this weird and horrid Utopian thing.

I know its far off, but that's how I see it. Diversity and variation IS the spice of life.

Contrast, whilst it can be awful, can also be a glorious thing.

Offtopic, but a sidethought into Utopia, what scares me is that if everything becomes equal, perfect, and completely efficient, what happens to desire? One might argue that you all equally progress exponentially for the good of everyone; or that it dwindles as people become acceptant of totallity and progress lacks need so you remain in limbo for eternity.

Back on topic, yeah, the old school days were exciting because of variation, and nothing was too perfect to be THAT predictable.

I still think manual gearsticks and clutch foot pedals should make a comeback.

More mistakes, more variation = unknown possibilities.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 12:32PM by danm.
Date: April 26, 2011 01:24PM
Posted by: Nickv
Not so much mistakes were the reason of freak results, it was more reliability. It was pretty common to have under ten cars finish a race. With gearboxes these days that have to last a decade and the engine freeze, no developmental limits are crossed. Everything within those limits is made to perfection. The top 10 of the races with the most finishers has 5 2010 races. This however poses a dilemma: every retirement reduces battles on the track. Do you want that? I don't. Also the other side of developmental freedom is the huge costs that come with it. Teams like HRT, Lotus, Virgin and perhaps even Williams wouldn't survive that.
Date: April 26, 2011 02:25PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
@ Nickv

if they dont have money for F1, they dont have anything to do in there. it is a little too harsh, but if someone doesnt have money for Bentley and Bugatti, he doesnt drive them.
he drives a VW or a Peugeot.
Date: April 26, 2011 02:53PM
Posted by: danm
$$$ doesn't always bring guaranteed success though, as proven.

But then $$$ is beter than nothing at all.

Its a difficult compromise, almost makes you wince at being part of the governing body trying to solve all the issues.

But uncapping things might make some teams storm ahead in development, but then outdoing eachother comes at the expense of failing parts. Look at Chapman at Lotus - make it lighter, thinner, lower etc. Things break.

If you all have the same cap limit, you're all trying to do the same thing anyway, just within a budget.

Budgets restrict development in a way, by limiting the amount of immediate experiments you can undertake.

No longer can you made thirty different rear wings made out of polystyrene, wood, titanium, carbon fibre, kryptonite....

So basically, the budget cap has just diluted and cut down the amount of immediate innovation and concentrated it on one of a few things, ie, all the variant front wing and nose designs.

Without such a cap and restrictions, you get things like the fan cars, ground effect etc.

Catch 22. You want more variation. You need more development. The restrictions are too tight. You cant be as freely experimental. you have to focus on a limited pallette of development areas. Things get boring. Big fish in a small pond syndrome. All looking at the same things. Boring. Needs a bigger cap to explore deeper. Needs less restrictions.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 02:54PM by danm.
Date: April 26, 2011 07:55PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Dan, I like the idea of kryptonite ;).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy