The Official 2011 Chinese GP Thread **Spoilers**

Posted by DJSKYLINE 
I thought the automatic timing system on the DRS was binned when they couldn't make it work without substantial changes to the ECU?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
A fantastic race, particularly considering how boring dry races usually are in Shanghai.

Obviously great drives from Hamilton and Webber. If there had been any SC late in the race, Webber would have won easily. That's something the strategists will have to watch out for, if any drivers save options for the last stint, they will spring a surprise result.

Massa drove a great race as well, overtaking Hamilton and catching Vettel at different points. If only he'd gone for a 3-stop strategy I think he could have been 2nd or 3rd, as he was right with Hamilton just before they split their strategies. Anyway, good signs for him and for Ferrari.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: The Official 2011 Chinese GP Thread **Spoilers**
Date: April 17, 2011 11:50AM
Posted by: chet
Massa drove fantastically well. Hopefully keeps it up. Really needs the boost in confidence that Ferrari took away last year..

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 17, 2011 12:04PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis
I thought the automatic timing system on the DRS was binned when they couldn't make it work without substantial changes to the ECU?

The regulations still state that it's automatically controlled. All I can think of is that he didn't deploy it on the straight... actually, now I think of it, I'm not aware of anything stopping him using it so long as it's after the activation line. If he didn't deploy it on the straight (such as by hitting the button too early), then maybe he went to press it instead of the KERS button out of the hairpin. Not the sort of thing you'd expect Alonso to do, but it's the only logical explanation I can think of.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I thought the automatic timing system on the DRS
> was binned when they couldn't make it work without
> substantial changes to the ECU?
>
>
> The regulations still state that it's
> automatically controlled. All I can think of is
> that he didn't deploy it on the straight...
> actually, now I think of it, I'm not aware of
> anything stopping him using it so long as it's
> after the activation line. If he didn't deploy it
> on the straight (such as by hitting the button too
> early), then maybe he went to press it instead of
> the KERS button out of the hairpin. Not the sort
> of thing you'd expect Alonso to do, but it's the
> only logical explanation I can think of.

Its a paddle in the Ferrari.
Given there are 4 paddles on each side of the Ferrari wheel, it's possible he clipped it whilst up changing.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 17, 2011 12:19PM
Was either a simple driver error, or mechanism failure. Nothing to be punished for imo. He was punished enough by having an awful race by his standards.

Struggling to get races where both drivers have driven well... RBR here was ok, but for the others theres always been one driver let down from the top teams.

Consistency seems to be an issue. But yeah, a temporary end to the "blue baron's" reign. Until Turkey that is :p

chet Wrote:
> Was either a simple driver error, or mechanism
> failure. Nothing to be punished for imo. He was
> punished enough by having an awful race by his
> standards.

Buemi got a big penalty (effectively 30 seconds) for pressing the wrong button in Malaysia and turning off his speed limiter.

Obviously there is no precedent, and there are much bigger safety concerns in pitlane, but I think the stewards will look into it at least, and study the data to see if he activated it any other times during the race by mistake. [edit] Also, the pit speed rule is quantitative, with no discretion, unlike Alonso's situation [/edit]

btw, Massa was 6th in every session this weekend! Whoever said he wasn't a consistent driver? ;)

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 01:05PM by SchueyFan.
good race so happy for webber. both mercs had a good race. great o see schumi battling up there again

Date: April 17, 2011 02:10PM
Kudos to the FIA for the change of the DRS activation zone. It was perfect imo. Did exactly what it was meant to. It was never meant to be an overtaking device, just an aid :)

Date: April 17, 2011 03:42PM
Posted by: marcl
Well I could not have got that more wrong if I tried, what a race.

Webber was fantastic as was Lewis, both of them 100% earnt their positions by passing people, lewis done everyone not even in the DRS area which shows DRS will get you close but you cannot just sail passed like in Sepang.

Having watched the Button wrong pit etc I dont think Vettel lost any time but it did stop Button staying infront of him.

I wonder now if people will just do 1 run in Q3 and save tyres.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 03:55PM by marcl.
Great win for Lewis. It was so refreshing to see someone else win.

Excellent drive by Webber and Hamilton. I cant believe from so far back after the first 15laps or so he could get close to the podium but truly outstanding!

Like marcl says, I think we might see only 1 run in quali from now on especially if there is a big margin between the pace of the cars and not much to gain by trying a 2nd attempt!

Date: April 17, 2011 06:38PM
Posted by: Carlitox
I loved this race, fights everywhere, strategy and pure racing all together. Oh god, it was so refreshing, it renewed my passion for racing, even though Massa was in trouble at the end. I really hope more of this during the season.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: April 17, 2011 08:32PM
Posted by: EC83
What an absolute belter of a race, brilliant action brilliantly commentated on. @#$%& I enjoyed that one!

Fantastic drives from Lewis, Webber, Nico, Massa, di Resta and Perez until his daft attack on Sutil. Great mature percentage drive from Vettel too.

Great to see the tyre degradation playing such a part. This is just what I was hoping for when Pirelli took over the supply, and it happened pretty nicely.

Date: April 17, 2011 11:23PM
Posted by: shep34
Great entertaining race!!!! Even had the wife watching with me, and she was IN TO IT!!! Absolutely rapt to see Webber get onto the podium! Clearly the Pirelli tyres played a big factor in the outcome, and once free of traffic after the first stop, Webber's forced strategy began to work. Thoroughly enjoyed China this year, and loved seeing "someone" beat Vettel! LOL
Maybe all future track designs need a huge 1km straight with a hairpin to finish in their design to allow for plenty of slipstreaming and overtaking opportunities!

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
chet Wrote:
> Massa drove fantastically well. Hopefully keeps it up. Really needs the boost in confidence that Ferrari took away last year..

---

If he beats Alonso again he may be ahead in the standings :) Who would've thought that, along with Ferrari being so slow, was a possibility before the season started?
Date: April 18, 2011 10:35AM
Posted by: gav
shep34
Maybe all future track designs need a huge 1km straight with a hairpin to finish in their design to allow for plenty of slipstreaming and overtaking opportunities!

Don't fall into the Tilke Trap of thinking a track needs a huge straight to lead to overtaking. That race was made on the tyre degredation. It was similar to Montreal last year (identical, save for the last few laps), and Montreal wasn't great because of the straight - half the overtaking in both cases was done on the opposite side of the track to those straights.

Shanghai has had a 1km straight for 7 years now and we've had, what... one decent race (which was down to the championship situation rather than the race itself). Even with all the inclement conditions we've seen, the races have been very poor.

It's what we've said for years now - give the drivers a challenge, and they'll give you entertainment.

Pirelli are awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 10:37AM by gav.
Date: April 18, 2011 10:55AM
Posted by: Nickv
Yes, they are. I love their take on the drivers' complaints about the amount of marbles off the racing line. 'Well yeah, tyres wear and the rubber has to go somewhere'.
Alonso DRS Activation was an FIA mistake when it had it active in the wrong area (300m late). The FIA didn't punish him because it was not his or Ferraris fault, and it hampered him for an extra 300m down the straight, whilst providing no advantage on the exit of the corner. They are looking into the glitch.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy