The Official 2011 Chinese GP Thread **Spoilers**

Posted by DJSKYLINE 
Re: The Official 2011 Chinese GP Thread **Spoilers**
Date: April 19, 2011 10:09PM
Posted by: gav
mitadumapaga
which brings me to the following thought, namely, who is the best defending driver out there. Cmon say it for me pls.

Alonso? Massa? though Massa is quite... erratic at times, which probably helps his cause.
I would probably say Alonso or Schumacher, although Webber also would also be difficult to overtake, as you know that he won't give you an inch.

On the other hand, I would say Button is probably one of the worst defenders, in that he often needs to be a bit more ruthless.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 19, 2011 11:54PM
Posted by: Slash
yeah Jenson needs more agression, attacking and deffending, but he rarey makes mistakes and that is a good way of defending, only problem is he gives too much space and that makes it harder but achievable for the opposition, you just have to nail it.

i think Michael is probably the hardest driver out there, he puts the car where it needs to be, makes it as wide as possible and on top of that sometimes he gets super agressive, super unsafety as well, lol Alonso should follow close and of course Webber but sometimes he's just beyond stubborn to a point where he just seems to rather end his race instead of loosing the position, which of course is not very bright.. Felipe might be another hard nut to crack but imho the hardest guy to overtake in all motorsport was Paul Tracy... you really needed to be willing to risk your life if you wanted to switch positions with him...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 11:55PM by Slash.
Date: April 20, 2011 11:29AM
Posted by: marcl
Button needs to put a stop to Lewis passing him, yes it could end in a crash, but if he does not Lewis will just dive past everytime much like Senna used to do with Prost. Lewis will think ah its Button he wont close the door.

I dont want them to crash btw but he needs to stop leaving the door open for Lewis all the time. He is a good team driver but he needs to stop being so helpful. Button did not really have a good race anyway.
Date: April 20, 2011 11:59AM
The problem Button has is that he now has that reputation. People expect him to be relatively easy meat, so they'll keep throwing moves up the inside. If he starts changing his spots now, it's only going to end in crashes, and no matter which way you look at it, being overtaken is better than being out of the race.

Similarly Hamilton has the reputation that he's going to attempt a pass the moment he arrives, leaving himself open to mistakes, counter moves and desperate defending... which has arguably cost him one championship (2010), may have cost him another (2007), and nearly did cost him the one he did get.
Date: April 20, 2011 12:59PM
The only real rash move he made on Sunday was agaist Button, the rest he seemed to line up and wait. Maybe he has changed his approach? Time will tell.

2010 I still dont think he fully lost due to the 2 crashes only, he had car problems as well in key races when in the top 3. Vettel also did and tbh it all balanced out. Only 1 of them accidents was 100% his fault anyway.

But yes I agree everyone knows Lewis will catch and pass straight away and it is easy to defend and people are now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 02:08PM by marcl.
Date: April 21, 2011 02:21AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem Button has is that he now has that
> reputation. People expect him to be relatively
> easy meat, so they'll keep throwing moves up the
> inside. If he starts changing his spots now, it's
> only going to end in crashes, and no matter which
> way you look at it, being overtaken is better than
> being out of the race.

Would it really have that result in the long term though? For example, Mansell succeeded in dramatically changing his reputation at a time when he was already long established as an F1 driver. Before Rio '86 and the second straight Senna incident, he seemed to be no more aggressive or intimidating than Button currently is, but that race seemed to be the final straw that triggered a change in him(Saying that, I can't imagine Jenson ever having it in him to be as aggressive as Nigel was). We saw the same thing to a lesser extent with DC too, mainly after France 2000.

I'd definitely love to see Jenson being harder with other drivers, the way he jumped out of Lewis's way on Sunday might have been good team driving but it was unnecessarily submissive, and kinda wimpish too I thought.

Date: April 21, 2011 11:23AM
Maybe... that's my view of it. As a driver, you get to know your other drivers on the track, and what they're like, what you'd expect them to do in given situations.

If you do league sim racing, it's the same. Less important, obviously, you get to know your competitors. It's no different in 'real' racing.

Maybe as a driver, you can change, but you have to expect a bit of hardship for it (you even gave an example yourself).
button HAD to let hamilton. had he kept hm behind:

1) mclaren wouldnt have won

2)redbull would most likely have scored 1-2.
Date: April 21, 2011 12:41PM
Posted by: danm
gav Wrote:
> > which brings me to the following thought,
> namely, who is the best defending driver out
> there. Cmon say it for me pls.

Ahem. Trulli. Choo Choooooo.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: April 21, 2011 12:48PM
Posted by: gareth
Petrov's got some form holding people up doesn't he?
Date: April 21, 2011 02:07PM
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> button HAD to let hamilton. had he kept hm
> behind:
>
> 1) mclaren wouldnt have won
>
> 2)redbull would most likely have scored 1-2.

Dont get me wrong as Lewis would have passed Button anyway sooner or later, he lined him up well etc. But into turn 1! Button probably thought no one passes there so he left it well open.

It does not matter tbh but as I have said sooner or later he needs to get tougher, not just with lewis but with others as well.

I still say the Lewis pass was risky
Date: April 21, 2011 06:09PM
Danm
Ahem. Trulli. Choo Choooooo.

Hey, I didn't say that!
Date: April 22, 2011 05:46PM
Posted by: chet
[www.autosport.com]

Good news. Now they need that extra dosh!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Well I suppose they can take some money from the devil, that's about the next step the way they're going.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 22, 2011 06:39PM
Posted by: EC83
As long as Flav stays the hell away from F1, I'm not fussed.

Symonds is an awesome guy, I'm looking forward to him returning

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Meh, just as corrupt as Flav. I didn't miss him when he left and don't want him back. Chalk him up beside Stoddart, Walkinshaw and Flavio in the list of people that F1 is better off without.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 23, 2011 11:46PM
Posted by: matt3454
Yeah I agree, looking back Stoddart and Minardi were pretty much a joke of a team in their final years. Stoddart was always moaning about something.

even when they allowed the BRIDGESTONE runners to run the 2005 US gp. he profited more than anyone of that (except jordan maybe) and he was stilll moaning
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy