What if...

Posted by chet 
What if...
Date: March 07, 2011 05:15PM
Posted by: chet
I had another one of them what if moments the other day.

This time it was, what if Montoya never left Mclaren?

Kimi was on his way to Ferrari in 07, they likely would have still signed Alonso, so a JPM-Alonso lineup would have been most likely for 2007, agree'd?

What of Lewis? He would have been in F1 for sure, but who with? Or would he have been reserve driver?

That being the case 2007 would have for sure been Alonso's 3rd title. Nobody can really dispute that if there was no Lewis. And as much as it pains me, JPM is no match for Alonso (:().

Going into 2008, Lewis would have been in the Mclaren with JPM off to do whatever. With Alonso as current champion with the team, Mclaren would no doubt put more into letting Alonso have #1 status that year than they did in 2007. I would assume this would again result in a 2008 world champion in the form of Alonso. Again, that being the case, would he have stayed for another year at Mclaren? Well if he was champ in 2007 and 2008 (perfectly sound reasoning IMO) then he would have stayed for 2009. They would have built an awful car again, then he would have been off to Ferrari in 2010 and maybe in this scenario he and Ferrari didnt stuff up and he could be looking at his 5th WDC.

I know this is all based on a nothing scenario, but it was a thought based on the decision of a single driver, whether JPM left F1. The other thing was, was not Honda looking into getting JPM?? If that was the case and he was alongside Button in 2008 and 2009 then Button would have struggled to beat him to a WDC in 2009. Would have been an epic fight. Button upper hand at the start with JPM coming into his own at the end like Rubens did.

Just that one thought made me think, just how much does driver shuffling amongst the top teams effect outcomes for many other drivers for many years.

For your information, this is what happens to a guy who has been deprived of F1 for too long ;)

Im sure some of you guys will have had similar thoughts for different scenarios. I guess the favourite is, what if Senna didnt crash, or what if Mclaren signed Heidfeld instead of Kimi.

/if dreams came true mode on

Oh, either way, they all result in Kobayashi as a multiple world champion in the future for Williams

/if dreams came true mode off

;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: What if...
Date: March 07, 2011 07:37PM
Posted by: Slash
no offense to JPM, but the way he was driving in 2006 i doubt he was going to complete the season.. JPM's F1 carrer ended as soon as he sat next to Kimi, he's mentally weak, far too emotional, as soon as he saw Kimi was by far faster than him he started pushing himself to levels he couldn't control... hockenheim 2005 qualy was the perfect example
and Monza 2005 qualy was the reference of how faster Kimi actually was... putting car ahead of him with a 1 stop strategy? and Juan on a 2?... that was humilliating
Date: March 07, 2011 08:53PM
Posted by: Guimengo
As much as I dislike Montoya, he did win by some large margins over Kimi a few times. It was annoying :P.
Date: March 07, 2011 10:37PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I always wondered what if Eddie Irvine won the '99 title...

Or what if Marc Gené got a drive at Williams (I always rated him more than Round Ralf)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 08, 2011 12:39AM
Posted by: msater
If Senna hadn't died, Schumacher (not Ralf :D) wouldn't have won 7 world titles, as Senna would have won in 1994 and most likely 1995. I've always thought Senna would have retired in 1997, and it says in The Life of Senna book that he wanted to drive for Ferrari before he retired. Now that would have been good :D

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: March 08, 2011 12:44AM
Posted by: danm
I read this thread earlier and was about to post something ive just seen thought as well as me - what if Irvine took the '99 title? I'm all for the conspiracy theorists that point Schumacher's 'pupose loss' of whatever latter race it was to Hakkinen as the cause.

Still, it would have been cool to see Salo replace Irv, he wasn't that bad.I

So many more what ifs.

My all live fave what if has got to be if Alesi didn't follow his heart and join Ferrari when he did. I mean, christ, he turned down Williams for them. What if? Of all what ifs...

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 08, 2011 03:25AM
Posted by: Slash
msater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Senna hadn't died, Schumacher (not Ralf :D)
> wouldn't have won 7 world titles, as Senna would
> have won in 1994 and most likely 1995.
I've always
> thought Senna would have retired in 1997, and it
> says in The Life of Senna book that he wanted to
> drive for Ferrari before he retired. Now that
> would have been good :D

not as easy, Michael started the season quite strong, and people where suggesting Senna was under pressure a bit from his as he started crashing and stuff... it would've been a batle but i do think Michael would've been ahead anyway
Date: March 08, 2011 04:30AM
Posted by: Frantic
senna had set his career ending at 40 years, he could ended his career in 2000 with epic battles with Villeneuve, Hakkinen and MS...

Date: March 08, 2011 08:19AM
Posted by: gav
danm
My all live fave what if has got to be if Alesi didn't follow his heart and join Ferrari when he did. I mean, christ, he turned down Williams for them. What if? Of all what ifs...

It wasn't his heart, it was his head. Ferrari were the main team challenging McLaren when Alesi was split between the two teams. Williams were only regrouping at that point, and few would have thought they'd be capable of challenging the big two in the following few years.

To be honest, I absolutely love Jean Alesi, but the guy was was like a more flamboyant Montoya - he wasn't a special talent, but he dug deep, sometimes had frightening car control and just about everyone adored him and wanted him to succeed - just look at Montreal '95 when he did eventually win. In that Williams, he probably would have won a title over Patrese, but even Piquet would have won in it, and he was a steaming pile of @#$%& after he left Williams (again, being honest, I didn't think he was all that good when he was there).

As much as it pains me to say it, if you take the passion out of Alesi's career you're left with someone who built a reputation on the strength of the Pirelli qualifying tyres.
Date: March 08, 2011 10:32AM
Posted by: danm
Well, that, and then bring in the rain... :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 09, 2011 12:17AM
Well, what if Senna had taken the job with McLaren in 1984?
Date: March 09, 2011 12:27AM
Posted by: chet
He was offered a drive in 84?! or was it a test driver offer?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 09, 2011 01:49AM
Posted by: EC83
I don't remember Senna having an option to drive for Macca in 1984, although I could be wrong. I do know that he should've had an option to drive for Brabham that year, but the douchebag who'd just won the 1983 title didn't want to have Senna as a teammate so it didn't happen. I guess that since McLaren let John Watson go for '84 and signed Prost, there was a slight possibility that another driver might've slipped in there if negotiations with Prost went wrong. But my understanding was that when Renault fired Prost McLaren immediately jumped at the chance of having him drive for them, and nobody else was really in the frame for that drive.

But if Senna had had a drive like that in his first season I don't think it actually would've helped his career. He needed time in a car which wasn't a front-runner while he was on a steep learning curve in F1. Even in the Lotus in 1985 there were times when he struggled and looked out of his depth. Imagine how that would've been amplified if he'd been parachuted straight into a car which turned out to be the class of the field for his debut season. I think he would've been fast but inconsistent and made a lot of embarrassing rookie mistakes, in the full glare of the media spotlight since he would've been in a car which he would've been expected to win in, and his reputation would've suffered unfairly as a result.

Date: March 09, 2011 06:16AM
Posted by: Frantic
and... What if Stefan Bellof wasnt killed in the 1000 km of Spa in 1985? he had a precontract to join Ferrari in 1986...
also Ronnie Peterson was going to drive a McLaren in 1979... and I learned somewhere that in 1976, with Lauda still recovering from his accident, Reutemann signed for the rest of 76 and 77, and Regazzoni leaving Ferrari at the end of the year, Enzo Ferrari had offered Peterson a drive for 1977, but Lauda´s surprising recovery made Enzo keeping him and Reutemann for 77, and Peterson had to sign with Tyrrell... what would had happened if Lauda didnt recovered and Ferrari had Reutemann and Peterson for 77?

Date: March 09, 2011 08:17PM
Piquet was pushing him to sign for Brabham but Senna had a few demands for Bernie. It's funny how of all 3 cars, he chose the one with the least great impression on him. He was 1s faster than prior laptimes achieved by the same car in the Williams and McLaren, not just Williams in that legendary test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2011 08:19PM by Guimengo.
Date: March 10, 2011 03:04PM
Posted by: marcl
What is Brundle has got the Williams drive for 1993 like he was meant to or the 1986 drive like he thought he had.
Date: March 10, 2011 05:56PM
Then Hill likely wouldn't have had his shot for 1994, but since he only won in 96 maybe it wouldn't have mattered as he maybe would have gone there anyway.
Date: March 10, 2011 06:20PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
What is Villeneuve had not left to go to BAR

I think it would have been interesting to see him at Williams for a few more years

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: March 10, 2011 09:51PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
what if heinz's acr hadnt broken at the 1999 european gp :(
Date: March 10, 2011 11:29PM
Posted by: MDBSnake
What if Jos Verstappen hadn't spun off in Brasil 2003 in his Minardi ...

If you are racing, keep on racing and get some points!

GPG Super League S11 | Driver #41 | Team-manager | Snake Motorsports Racing Group | Next Race: Emmeloord - Flevoland GP | Constructors: 10th | Best Race Finish: 1st
GPG Super League Season 9 Testers Champion*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy