The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: February 14, 2011 05:53PM
Posted by: EC83
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not think he pushed 100% last year.

Have to agree there. The one criticism I have of Bruno in 2010 is that after a few races he seemed to stop trying. Istanbul was the last time he seemed to really push in a race.

Date: February 14, 2011 07:13PM
Posted by: gav
Carlitox
Maybe. But the car wasn't able to push much, wasn't it? Take Vettel and put it into a Virgin. I'm sure he wouldn't be doing much.
My point is: When a good driver (and I'm sure Bruno is one) gets into a bad car, the bad car makes the good driver look as bad as the car is. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's honestly what I think.

When Alonso was driving the back-of-the-grid Minardi in 2001, everyone sat up and took notice. He ensured that thing went as fast as he could possibly make it go and it was clear for all to see the guy was deserving of a top seat (even if it wasn't immediately apparent that he was multiple world championship material). Again, in 2002, Webber showed everyone he was a strong driver, if not quite as impressive as Alonso.

Poor cars generally are slow - that's expected - but a driver should still be able to show signs of quality at worst... and I don't think Senna did.

More worrying, I think the best modern day example of a driver who looked poor in a poor car, then went to a decent team and looked decent was Pedro Diniz. If the best case scenario for Senna is that he is Diniz mkii, then... do I need to say more?
Date: February 14, 2011 08:18PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I think it's a no-brainer - Heidfeld should get the seat, he is the only replacement for Kubica. Had they been replacing Petrov instead, it might have been a slightly different story.

There's an article this month (yeah this is slightly off topic - sorry) about the new F1 cars in 2020. They look hideous, and basic. I may buy it tomorrow and upload the scans if I'm feeling nice.
Date: February 14, 2011 08:24PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
To be honest, the F1 2020 article is barely worthy of the bin. Utter tripe.

[Website]
Date: February 14, 2011 09:00PM
Posted by: Carlitox
gav Wrote:
> > Maybe. But the car wasn't able to push much,
> wasn't it? Take Vettel and put it into a Virgin.
> I'm sure he wouldn't be doing much.
> My point is: When a good driver (and I'm sure
> Bruno is one) gets into a bad car, the bad car
> makes the good driver look as bad as the car is.
> Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's honestly what I
> think.
>
>
> When Alonso was driving the back-of-the-grid
> Minardi in 2001, everyone sat up and took notice.
> He ensured that thing went as fast as he could
> possibly make it go and it was clear for all to
> see the guy was deserving of a top seat (even if
> it wasn't immediately apparent that he was
> multiple world championship material). Again, in
> 2002, Webber showed everyone he was a strong
> driver, if not quite as impressive as Alonso.
>
> Poor cars generally are slow - that's expected -
> but a driver should still be able to show signs of
> quality at worst... and I don't think Senna did.
>
> More worrying, I think the best modern day example
> of a driver who looked poor in a poor car, then
> went to a decent team and looked decent was Pedro
> Diniz. If the best case scenario for Senna is that
> he is Diniz mkii, then... do I need to say more?

Well, you got a point there. But a slight difference is: the Minardi wasn't 4 seconds slower than any other car (except when Alex Yoong was driving ;-)). Perhaps my opinion is right but just for 2010 backmakers.
Another good example that came to my mind is Sato in 2007, specially Spain and Canada. That were epic races for him and Super Aguri.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: February 14, 2011 09:31PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
> To be honest, the F1 2020 article is barely worthy
> of the bin. Utter tripe.

Is it? The F1 Racing mag is usually fairly good :(
Date: February 14, 2011 09:43PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Did anyone notice this on the Toro Rosso?

[www.servimg.com]

Completely undercut, like the Ferrari F92A. I must say, I didn't notice that until looking around online.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 09:43PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: February 14, 2011 09:55PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I'm sorry, and this isn't directed at you but many other people previous (journos that really should know better), but if someone else compares that STR to the double floor F92A I think im going to @#$%& scream.

It really is just undercut sidepods, more like the leading edge of the F310. The F92A had exactly what it said on the tin, two distinct floors, which is much different. ScarbsF1 has much to be sorry for.

Date: February 14, 2011 11:32PM
Posted by: chet
I think the misconception did come from scarbs.

I think their general floor arangement has fooled alot of educated engineers. Armchair engineers but with enough education to make a reasonable judgement. I guess its all the excitment of F1 launches ;-).

Anyone willing to bet on Nick for the title? People have positive comments about the Renault from watching... If the car does end up being good, then the same way JB is considered top (but not quite Alonso top) Nick could do the same. He hasnt won because the circumstances havent been there, it was the same with Jenson. Or am I getting over excited?

Anyone else with me about the idea that RBR, Ferrari, Mclaren, Merc and Renault will be in with a shout for wins this year?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 14, 2011 11:39PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
chet - you're getting over-excited. I wouldn't put Heidfeld up with Button.

loque - the article was pure speculation. No basis in fact whatsoever. It looked like they though "quick, we need to fill some pages, what shall we write?"

[Website]
Date: February 14, 2011 11:43PM
Posted by: Nickv
I always liked Heidfeld and hoped he'd do well, but he's not an extroardinary talent. He's more like a Barrichello. A decent driver who you can count on and can win races, but won't set the world alight.
Date: February 14, 2011 11:56PM
Posted by: JackHammer
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Did anyone notice this on the Toro Rosso?
>
> [www.servimg.com]
> 4795526
>
> Completely undercut, like the Ferrari F92A. I must
> say, I didn't notice that until looking around
> online.

I noticed it, does look very nice

Date: February 15, 2011 06:22AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Carlitox Wrote:
> Maybe. But the car wasn't able to push much,
> wasn't it? Take Vettel and put it into a Virgin.
> I'm sure he wouldn't be doing much.
> My point is: When a good driver (and I'm sure
> Bruno is one) gets into a bad car, the bad car
> makes the good driver look as bad as the car is.
> Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's honestly what I
> think.

The problem was that he wasn't even convincing against any of his team-mates.

He was fairly even with Chandhok, was easily beaten by Klien and even got beaten by Yamamoto a few times.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:29AM
chet
Anyone willing to bet on Nick for the title? People have positive comments about the Renault from watching... If the car does end up being good, then the same way JB is considered top (but not quite Alonso top) Nick could do the same. He hasnt won because the circumstances havent been there, it was the same with Jenson. Or am I getting over excited?

Anyone else with me about the idea that RBR, Ferrari, Mclaren, Merc and Renault will be in with a shout for wins this year?

Renault aren't going to win the title. They might have a chance of a win or 2, but that chance is less with Nick than it was with Kubica.

From what I can see reading around, people think that if the season started now, the Red Bull would destroy everything by upwards of half a second a lap. I'd imagine that gap will close down, but I've not seen anything from anyone at the track who thinks it's not going to be a Red Bull demonstration at the start of the year unless Ferrari and McLaren improve massively.

I can't see Mercedes doing much. If anything they've fallen behind Renault and Williams. They're putting everything on their Bahrain package, but then so are all the other teams, so... it's going to take some improvement or plain luck for them to get a race win.
Date: February 15, 2011 10:08AM
Posted by: vesuvius
yes from what I have heard from various sources is that red bull is at the moment 0,5-1,0 seconds/lap faster than anyone else.
Date: February 15, 2011 10:46AM
Posted by: danm
Heidfeld topping the sheets after their star driver is injured.... looks good for sponsors...

Rubens topping the sheets a few weeks before Williams shares are floated about.... just saying...

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 15, 2011 11:28AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Rubens topping the sheets on the same tyres and the same run length as MS as well. Just saying. :P

Date: February 15, 2011 01:15PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
vesuvius Wrote:
> yes from what I have heard from various sources is
> that red bull is at the moment 0,5-1,0 seconds/lap
> faster than anyone else.

Yes, and apparently they can even leave the adjustable rear wing open in some corners, while other teams, like Ferrari, have to close it.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 15, 2011 01:41PM
Posted by: marcl
I thought the wing was meant to move back when the driver pressed the brake pedal.

From what I have read Mclaren have yet to do any real long runs, or any setup or speed testing so it is hard to tell where they are.

The rest seem up and down, Ferrari look to be not that far behind rbr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 01:45PM by marcl.
Date: February 15, 2011 01:46PM
It probably will do in races, but drivers can use it as they please in practice and qualifying, so I'd imagine they're doing that in testing too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy